Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Daddy_merged

What will be the legacy of the Italy World Cup team?

45 posts in this topic

no actual players from Italy, then?

There'll be a couple picked in the 25 man squad, but I'd be surprised if they play much. But they won't be the only nation doing that.

1.A.Minichello (Roosters)

2.J.Tedesco (Tigers)

3.S.Berrigan (Raiders)

4.S.Nero (Salford SL)

5.J.Mantello (Knights)

6.T.Campese (Raiders)

7.C.Gower © (Knights)

8.C.Ciraldo (Panthers)

9.J.Romelo (Bulldogs)

10.K.Snowden (Knights)

11.A.Lanfanchi (St Helens SL)

12.M.Minichello (Titans)

13.A.Guerra (Roosters)

14.J.Reithmuller (Cowboys)

15.V.Mauro (Manly)

16.G.Rovelli (Qld Cup)

17.R.Ghetti (Qld Cup)

This side would compete #Dark Horse Azzuri

How many of them actually speak italian?

Can I just say to those that are calling for the Lebanese to be in the World Cup at the expense of Italy, remember how Lebanon started in 2000: a team full of Aussies. Look how that catalysed them into developing their own structure.

The same could happen to Italy. Let them have their turn. It could aid development massively over there. They qualified.

How many of them actually speak italian?

Minichiello does, I'm guessing Gower probably does.

Can I just say to those that are calling for the Lebanese to be in the World Cup at the expense of Italy, remember how Lebanon started in 2000: a team full of Aussies. Look how that catalysed them into developing their own structure.

The same could happen to Italy. Let them have their turn. It could aid development massively over there. They qualified.

Agreed. And if Lebanon had qualified, I bet most of the squad for the WC would've been Australian again. But they are developing the game in their own country.

So how many of these players are going to be available for selection after the world cup?

Who wants to see an Amateur Italian side get flogged by 100 points in the World Cup??

As long as they have heritage who cares... It Is great for international rugby league and it will promote the game in Italy especially if they see there country being competitive!!

Home grown players helped Italy in the qualifying stages and I'm sure they will be picked in the 25 man squad!

I take your point but who also wants to see blow ins who disappear once the WC is over?

I take your point but who also wants to see blow ins who disappear once the WC is over?

If we had more regular internationals then maybe they wouldn't just come in and out as they please?

Imagine if that Italian team is competitive. It would be great if we could have a 4 team European Cup.

Reality is not all those players are goin to kick on and play for Nsw/Qld and Australia so you will find most of them will stay on and play for Italy....

And the Italian based players that will get picked in the 25 man squad will take what they have learnt and experienced back to Italy, an pass it onto other domestic Italian players, which hopefully will have a bigger supporter base from the Italian people after they see a competitive Italian side run around in the World Cup.

Reality is not all those players are goin to kick on and play for Nsw/Qld and Australia so you will find most of them will stay on and play for Italy....

Possibly, but it doesn't mean they'll want to play for them outside World Cups. There are plenty of guys both in the NRL and this country who are only interested in playing in the big tournaments. And then of course you get the clubs preferring players to sit out 'less important' internationals as well.

Imagine if that Italian team is competitive. It would be great if we could have a 4 team European Cup.

I can't imagine their NRL clubs letting them go for anything less than a World Cup, and even then only grudgingly.

I can't imagine their NRL clubs letting them go for anything less than a World Cup, and even then only grudgingly.

You beat me to it. How many Australia based Italian WC players will fly back to Europe for a European Cup match? The way to do it is to tie the EC in as a WC qualification tournament. By that I mean that whoever is in the EC when WC qualification is due to start will have the chance to qualify for the next WC. Promotion and relegation between the various European competitions would mean that no nation could afford to take the EC lightly as it may end in relegation down to the next level and the opportunity for WC qualification may be jeopardised. Then we might see a full strength Italian team in the European competitions rather than the domestic one currently taking part.

You beat me to it. How many Australia based Italian WC players will fly back to Europe for a European Cup match? The way to do it is to tie the EC in as a WC qualification tournament. By that I mean that whoever is in the EC when WC qualification is due to start will have the chance to qualify for the next WC. Promotion and relegation between the various European competitions would mean that no nation could afford to take the EC lightly as it may end in relegation down to the next level and the opportunity for WC qualification may be jeopardised. Then we might see a full strength Italian team in the European competitions rather than the domestic one currently taking part.

A full strength italian team would give England a run for its money and thats the shame about it, will this full strength team play england outside the world cup? I doubt it

Italy qualified, so they deserve their chance. So long as they operate within the rules, it is for the Italian RL to decide what is the best strategy for the game in Italy. We get so het up about heritage players in RL, but our rules on qualification are not much different form most other sports.

I'm looking forward to seeing them in the World Cup, and especially seeing them play in a warm up against England.

and especially seeing them play in a warm up against England.

Is this actually taking place?

Not confirmed yet but England return from South African training camp on Monday 16 Oct and have a warm up scheduled in for Saturday 19th Oct. It is expected we'll play Italy & France will play USA.

I think I also read that the Italy warm up match will be broadcast by the BBC, but I think that was in 40-20 magazine and I've read it now, so passed it on.

It should be Italy if that's the case so as not to devalue the tournament.

Agreed, playing it in Italy is a no brainer, don't want anyone buying a ticket for a warm up instead of the tournament proper.

TBH I'm not sure it's the best choice of opponent for England. If Italy do field a side like mentioned earlier then it's a potential banana peel game. The last thing England would need as hosts would be a warm up loss to a country perceived as a "minnow".

Would be fantastic for England to Italy especially given the potential lineup, totally agree should be played in Italy but can't see it the big question is what's going to happen for Italy after the World Cup we desperately need a international system that allows smaller nation to play against the top 3 sides

brilliant, the hypocrisy of this thread is unbelievable, moaning about aussies playing for italy when a kiwi is playing for england............