Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

League Express

Rugby League to pay respects to Lee Rigby

13 posts in this topic

Rugby League fans will pay their respects to murdered soldier Lee Rigby with a minute’s silence before the final game on each day of the Super League Magic Weekend at the Etihad Stadium, Manchester.
Drummer Rigby, from Middleton near Rochdale, served in the 2nd Battalion, Royal Regiment of Fusiliers and was killed by two assailants in south east London on Wednesday. He was 25.
A minute’s silence will be held before the Super League games, St Helens v Warrington Wolves on Saturday (6.45pm) and Leeds Rhinos v Wigan Warriors on Sunday (7.30pm).

Indeed, good idea to do it at both matches too

I don't necessarily have an issue but I do wonder why there isn't a minutes silence for Tia Sharp, April Jones etc etc etc etc etc

But I guess that's for another thread

I don't necessarily have an issue but I do wonder why there isn't a minutes silence for Tia Sharp, April Jones etc etc etc etc etcBut I guess that's for another thread

I agree with you and think I understand your view point on this....... IMHO I think it's more to do with serving for her majesty!!

I don't necessarily have an issue but I do wonder why there isn't a minutes silence for Tia Sharp, April Jones etc etc etc etc etc

But I guess that's for another thread

I see your point, but I think this one, unfortunately*, is seen as an attack on the country as well as the individual. 

We are quite good at showing respect, and when its asked of us we do it, its something that makes me quite proud of our supporters.

*Unfortunate in that it gives certain groups a bit of freedom to indulge rants that would normally be frowned upon.

This is the right thing to do, we need to show our support.

A minutes silence that I'm sure will be observed perfectly.

Rugby League fans will pay their respects to murdered soldier Lee Rigby with a minute’s silence before the final game on each day of the Super League Magic Weekend at the Etihad Stadium, Manchester.
Drummer Rigby, from Middleton near Rochdale, served in the 2nd Battalion, Royal Regiment of Fusiliers and was killed by two assailants in south east London on Wednesday. He was 25.
A minute’s silence will be held before the Super League games, St Helens v Warrington Wolves on Saturday (6.45pm) and Leeds Rhinos v Wigan Warriors on Sunday (7.30pm).

May I just say that he grew up on Langley, a large council estate in Middleton where I spent the first few years of my life. That, and the fact that he too was born in Crumpsall, really added a poignancy to this killing.

Can I just clear up that I genuinely have no issue with it - perhaps not the best post to have made in hindsight.

everyone knows what you mean, no harm done 

It's something I would have expected from us - and I've read other fans in earlier games are planning a 'tribute' maybe applause during their games. People are feeling a need to show their support for the family and armed forces,and to show solidarity against this atrocious barbaric attack.

His band should be invited to perform before the World Cup match at Rochdale. Maybe they could do a slow march with colours lowered in tribute. Have a minutes silence and invite his family as guests of honour.

Can I just clear up that I genuinely have no issue with it - perhaps not the best post to have made in hindsight.

nobody took offence i think. People knew what you meant and know you're not that kind of bloke (as much as we can know you over t'net!).

Interestingly (or not) there was the odd complaint on twitter that there wasnt one before every game - any excuse to have a pop at the rfl.

I believe there was talk of a round of applause in minute 25 of each game - problem is thete is usually somethibg going on in rl unlike football where this kind of thing works well.