Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bearman

Crossfields have reneged on today's fixture

57 posts in this topic

Good on Coventry for putting on these added functions on their match day (Did Crossfields ask for the added functions?) Have you ever been a secretary of a club?

I have and you tend to wait till the last minute before you make that dreaded call simply because you will have lads and committee members running around trying to rustle up a team.

Yes agree with you on that one Marauder, most Secretary's have been in the same postion where you get that sinking feeling and realise that you are not going to raise a team despite everyone running around and making phone calls etc., Sadly it happens at times and you all wonder why you bother. Until the next week!. I have every sympathy with Coventry as it's obvious they had put a lot of hard work into the weekend but I also feel for Crosfields who if my experience is anything to go by are a smashing club.

Yes agree with you on that one Marauder, most Secretary's have been in the same postion where you get that sinking feeling and realise that you are not going to raise a team despite everyone running around and making phone calls etc., Sadly it happens at times and you all wonder why you bother. Until the next week!. I have every sympathy with Coventry as it's obvious they had put a lot of hard work into the weekend but I also feel for Crosfields who if my experience is anything to go by are a smashing club.

I'm with you here. It's the most awful feeling - but there's absolutely nothing you can do about it. I admire and respect Crosfields enormously. They are a good club and run a host of youth and junior teams. But at the end of the day, they're amateurs. They are not under contract. They don't get paid. Quite frankly, if the lads want to go and watch Warrington v Saints at the Etihad, well that's up to them. Let's not forget that the RFL have been bombarding us amateur clubs with offers of "buy one get one free", "earn x£ for your club" and urging us to all support the Magic Weekend. Well, some did - and look what the consequences are. Lessons should be learned from this - and now we've switched to summer, perhaps management and the RFL have to understand that us volunteers don't get many Bank Holidays a year and, when we do, we want to spend it doing other things that we like. At the end of the day, Crosfields will be punished severely by the NCL. But please, let's minimise the probability of it happening again.

Good on Coventry for putting on these added functions on their match day (Did Crossfields ask for the added functions?) Have you ever been a secretary of a club?

I have and you tend to wait till the last minute before you make that dreaded call simply because you will have lads and committee members running around trying to rustle up a team.

I'd have had more respect if THEY had informed us rather than leaving it to David Lowe to pass the message on.

The game will probably be rescheduled for 13 July. ( subject to our ground being available)

I hope our players have not taken advantage of what was scheduled to be a blank week to book a holiday.

Did the meeting go ahead on the 28th about this?

If so, does anyone know the outcome?

Did the meeting go ahead on the 28th about this?

If so, does anyone know the outcome?

Adjourned until 17th June

With the holiday period soon to be upon us I just hope that all clubs have adequate player cover and or contingency plans to prevent a repeat of this. Or do the NCL have a contingency plan for a club for such eventualities that may be reasonably foreseable I.e stag do wedding etc?

I'd have had more respect if THEY had informed us rather than leaving it to David Lowe to pass the message on.

The game will probably be rescheduled for 13 July. ( subject to our ground being available)

I hope our players have not taken advantage of what was scheduled to be a blank week to book a holiday.

Did they wait till the last minute to see if they could muster a team, then when they couldn't phone David Lowe first? If they did, did David say he was going to inform you?

Have Coventry ever defaulted on a fixture?

With the holiday period soon to be upon us I just hope that all clubs have adequate player cover and or contingency plans to prevent a repeat of this. Or do the NCL have a contingency plan for a club for such eventualities that may be reasonably foreseable I.e stag do wedding etc?

To be fair, we at Shaw Cross had a backlog fixture put in place on what had originally looked like a free weekend. It would have been IMPOSSIBLE for us to raise a team on that date. We made David Lowe aware of this and he was very accommodating, allowing us to re-schedule the fixture to a midweek game because we gave him plenty of notice, and our opposition were happy with the arrangement.

All teams were told at an NCL meeting that although they were down as backlog fixtures it is very likely teams will get a game either re-arranged or one  brought forward. 

Have Coventry ever defaulted on a fixture?

No.

In an earlier post you asked if Crosfields had asked for the extra activities?

We're we supposed to ask their permission to lay on entertainment for our supporters?

We naively thought it was up to the home team to organise the afternoons entertainment.

Perhaps in future we should ask our opponents if they will be bothering to turn up.

Incidentally we were informed at 12 noon that they were not travelling, perhaps they have faster transport than us because we have to leave at 10am to get to Lancashire or Yorkshire. Is it faster going downhill to Coventry?

No.

In an earlier post you asked if Crosfields had asked for the extra activities?

We're we supposed to ask their permission to lay on entertainment for our supporters?

We naively thought it was up to the home team to organise the afternoons entertainment.

Perhaps in future we should ask our opponents if they will be bothering to turn up.

Incidentally we were informed at 12 noon that they were not travelling, perhaps they have faster transport than us because we have to leave at 10am to get to Lancashire or Yorkshire. Is it faster going downhill to Coventry?

Your arrogance is not alluring. Crosfields have been in existence a lot longer than you have, and will no doubt never have received the amount of support in 30 years that you have received for just a few years from the RFL - despite the fact that they run over 20 (TWENTY) teams. They had massive problems on that day. Unfortunately (for you) they were due to travel to Coventry. I've no doubt you will be compensated for your troubles. But now you need to get over it, and move on with your fixtures. It's not the end of the world, and I'm sure that officials from Crosfields felt a whole lot worse on the day than you did.

Your arrogance is not alluring. Crosfields have been in existence a lot longer than you have, and will no doubt never have received the amount of support in 30 years that you have received for just a few years from the RFL - despite the fact that they run over 20 (TWENTY) teams. They had massive problems on that day. Unfortunately (for you) they were due to travel to Coventry. I've no doubt you will be compensated for your troubles. But now you need to get over it, and move on with your fixtures. It's not the end of the world, and I'm sure that officials from Crosfields felt a whole lot worse on the day than you did.

ive started about 10 replies to this post but deleted them all.......and figured out that this is the most appropriate reply...

CLOWN! 

Crosfields have been in existence in since about 1926 (Wish I had my records to hand). They have won the BARLA National cup. They run about 10 junior sides. Give them a ******** break for Gods sake.

I'm sorry if I come over as "Arrogant". Believe me there was nothing arrogant about me as I squirmed in the BBC radio studio last weekend as I tried to deflect the questions about what had happened. Nor have I been arrogant as I am questioned by our season ticket holders about the same subject. The damage that has been caused will not go away. Next year it will be up to US to convince our sponsors and supporters that Rugby League is not a joke sport.

I know that there are lots of hard working people at Crosfields. They,like us are trying to run a sports club in difficult times and I certainly wish them well.

I am not arrogant enough to believe that it will never happen to us either.

It may be a sweeping statement but it seems to me that the club committees are more committed than some of the players.

When we were first starting up I was advised that the most important part of any club were the volunteers that run the club. Players will come and go, teams may be strong one year and less so the the next. That doesn't matter so long as the committee is strong enough to keep the club going into the future.

Someone posted on this thread that its time to move on and it is. It has happened and hopefully Crosfields can go on and prosper. As for Coventry, yes, we will get over it but there is no doubt that RL and our club have suffered a loss of credibility.

It is interesting that most support is coming for the defaulters (the long standing team) while the aggrieved (the new boys) are taking all the flak.

It is interesting that most support is coming for the defaulters (the long standing team) while the aggrieved (the new boys) are taking all the flak.

Which is wrong, simple as

I'm sorry if I come over as "Arrogant". Believe me there was nothing arrogant about me as I squirmed in the BBC radio studio last weekend as I tried to deflect the questions about what had happened. Nor have I been arrogant as I am questioned by our season ticket holders about the same subject. The damage that has been caused will not go away. Next year it will be up to US to convince our sponsors and supporters that Rugby League is not a joke sport.

I know that there are lots of hard working people at Crosfields. They,like us are trying to run a sports club in difficult times and I certainly wish them well.

I am not arrogant enough to believe that it will never happen to us either.

It may be a sweeping statement but it seems to me that the club committees are more committed than some of the players.

When we were first starting up I was advised that the most important part of any club were the volunteers that run the club. Players will come and go, teams may be strong one year and less so the the next. That doesn't matter so long as the committee is strong enough to keep the club going into the future.

Someone posted on this thread that its time to move on and it is. It has happened and hopefully Crosfields can go on and prosper. As for Coventry, yes, we will get over it but there is no doubt that RL and our club have suffered a loss of credibility.

I apologise if I misinterpreted your post. You were correctly advised that the most important part of any club were the volunteers (and not the players). I have been a volunteer for over 30 years and I know a large number of the "volunteers" at Crosfields. Believe me, they were probably more upset than you that they reneged on the fixture. They didn't decide on the Thursday night after training that they weren't going to travel, they fully intended to travel until things started to go wrong (with the players) on Saturday morning. I don't know what will happen to Crosfields now, once the NCL management have made their decision. I only know that I feel desperately sorry for the volunteers that have took the club forward over many years, who clearly have been willing to "give" more than the players on that particular day.

I apologise if I misinterpreted your post. You were correctly advised that the most important part of any club were the volunteers (and not the players). I have been a volunteer for over 30 years and I know a large number of the "volunteers" at Crosfields. Believe me, they were probably more upset than you that they reneged on the fixture. They didn't decide on the Thursday night after training that they weren't going to travel, they fully intended to travel until things started to go wrong (with the players) on Saturday morning. I don't know what will happen to Crosfields now, once the NCL management have made their decision. I only know that I feel desperately sorry for the volunteers that have took the club forward over many years, who clearly have been willing to "give" more than the players on that particular day.

Do we know why just that week the players weren't there? It is a shame for the hard work people put in behind the scenes

Do we know why just that week the players weren't there? It is a shame for the hard work people put in behind the scenes

Apparently the full explanation has been given to an NCL discipline committee, who will in turn report to the full NCL committee for a decision to be made.

I understand that it started off okay, but one or two players cried off that morning for whatever reasons - and it deteriorated from then on. I've no doubt that had they been travelling locally, they would have had more time to pull lads together and the fixture would have been fulfilled, but the early start required for the Coventry trip obviously didn't help. I do hope that the right decision will be made by the NCL which will support Crosfields - and the member NCL clubs - as best they can.

I do hope that the right decision will be made by the NCL which will support Crosfields - and the member NCL clubs - as best they can.

For those that don't know, what is the right decision?

For those that don't know, what is the right decision?

Who knows? Presumably the decision that is right for both Crosfields and the NCL. Clubs will have their own idea of what 'punishment' should be administered.

Who knows? Presumably the decision that is right for both Crosfields and the NCL. Clubs will have their own idea of what 'punishment' should be administered.

But everyone knows it's going to be a £500 fine and re-election at the end of the season.

But everyone knows it's going to be a £500 fine and re-election at the end of the season.

Correct.

I'm writing from Crosfields ARLFC, we've declined to comment so far until we heard the outcome of the NCL Managment's team, that has now been delivered as as widely expected we have been fined £500 with a 2 point deduction.  This will also require us to seek re-election for the 2014 season

We presented our case to the management team, we caught a cold that particular weekend.  During the week leading up to the game there were no signs that players would not be available, the 17 were chosen on the Thursday night, but quite a number dropped out for varying reasons on the day in question which left us short of a team. Due to it being Magic Weekend our A team did not have a scheduled fixtures, so none were available at such short notice.  It was very disappointing that we could not field a team form our 1st team squad

We've worked hard internally to address these issues and are looking to the future, to that end we had 6 of our under 18s and 2 of our under 16s make their open age debut last week for our A team to get them exposed to the Open Age set up, and give us the depth in squad needed for the rest of the season and beyond

I have liaised with Coventry to offer our apologies as they were ultimately the victim for this, its not something that should happen in the NCL.  I completely understand their frustration and anger with our club and recognise its up to us to repair that relationship. With Coventry,looking to join the professional ranks next season we know we need to do this quickly.  I'll re-assure everybody that nobody more than the committee at Crosfields felt as bad about this situation

We have accepted the NCL's ruling and will not appeal the decision as feel it is correct, fair and consistent with other judgement and would expect the same ruling to happen to anybody else in this circumstance.  We will be seeking re-election at the end of the season.

I'm writing from Crosfields ARLFC, we've declined to comment so far until we heard the outcome of the NCL Managment's team, that has now been delivered as as widely expected we have been fined £500 with a 2 point deduction.  This will also require us to seek re-election for the 2014 season

We presented our case to the management team, we caught a cold that particular weekend.  During the week leading up to the game there were no signs that players would not be available, the 17 were chosen on the Thursday night, but quite a number dropped out for varying reasons on the day in question which left us short of a team. Due to it being Magic Weekend our A team did not have a scheduled fixtures, so none were available at such short notice.  It was very disappointing that we could not field a team form our 1st team squad

We've worked hard internally to address these issues and are looking to the future, to that end we had 6 of our under 18s and 2 of our under 16s make their open age debut last week for our A team to get them exposed to the Open Age set up, and give us the depth in squad needed for the rest of the season and beyond

I have liaised with Coventry to offer our apologies as they were ultimately the victim for this, its not something that should happen in the NCL.  I completely understand their frustration and anger with our club and recognise its up to us to repair that relationship. With Coventry,looking to join the professional ranks next season we know we need to do this quickly.  I'll re-assure everybody that nobody more than the committee at Crosfields felt as bad about this situation

We have accepted the NCL's ruling and will not appeal the decision as feel it is correct, fair and consistent with other judgement and would expect the same ruling to happen to anybody else in this circumstance.  We will be seeking re-election at the end of the season.

All the best for the rest of the season Spidey, I am quite sure there are many other clubs waiting nervously every Saturday lunch time for players to turn up. :sclerosis: