Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

donny donny

New England Shirt

300 posts in this topic

Aye so he did

Mumbles apologies and backs out of room

hand in your pedant badge! He implied not inferred. Sheesh. Youngsters today.

They wore red shorts in one game due to a (perceived) colour clash in a game with Italy. Before the new kit, two of the last three had been all white, with the one used at the 2010 World Cup being, in my opinion, the pick of the crop.

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/England+v+Belarus+FIFA2010+World+Cup+Qualifier+O4hK1pAI8zbl.jpg

Back to RL, I like the idea of a dark blue chevron on white for an England kit. Not really been a fan of any of the England RL kits.

Sense at last. Bring rugby league into line with other mainstream England teams, Would look very smart!

That's the nz coat of arms, it's on the right side of the kiwis shirt

It's based on the NZ coat of arms, but with a couple of alterations. The Kiwi instead of a crown, and the loss of the supporters.

Some of the district RLs in NZ - Canterbury, Wellington, West Coast, etc - have their own versions.

Agreed mate, it's still on the right chest of the jersey though, kiwi on top.

So should England carry something similar to the royal standard as a second badge in the jersey?

So should England carry something similar to the royal standard as a second badge in the jersey?

They used to have the British Isles XIII Coat of Arms on the shirt with all the home nations in the early noughties.

I think the English hockey team use that as their badge.

If not that, then I do think we could design something that has that sort of heavyweight feel to it, or at the very least something better than what we've currently got.

I think the tudor rose is a great idea. Also they could use the old royal standard which does not have the Scottish Lion or Irish Harp

I'm guessing this (http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30084372) is one of ours.

Modernise that shield a bit, stick it on a white shirt with royal blue chevron.

EDIT: Or the 'Commonwealth Games' style that lobby was talking about.

Interesting. So that's the Tudor Rose in the middle, the English Coat of Arms (3 lions on a red shield) on the left, the blue shield is from the Cheshire coat of arms, and the shield on the right is from the North Yorks coat of arms (according to wiki). Seems a slightly odd mix.

I do like the Tudor Rose, but we'd have to be very careful with the design to make sure it doesn't look like rahrah's red one. Perhaps have it flat, front on, and without the stem?

I agree with either a blue chevron or the two thin red hoops around the chest.

I'm guessing this (http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30084372) is one of ours.

Modernise that shield a bit, stick it on a white shirt with royal blue chevron.

EDIT: Or the 'Commonwealth Games' style that lobby was talking about.

The IWM website has some interesting badges in their RL collection.

It seems as if until the 1950's at least the RFL winners and runners up badges carried a rugby ball and two shields - one with the English coat of arms (3 golden lions on a red shield) and the other a red dragon on a plain shield. So there's definitely some history of the game using the English coat of arms. 

Just found a photo online, taken in Brisbane 1910, of the first NU touring side. They look to be wearing that same badge on their shirts. 

Seems to consist of a tudor rose in the middle, with a crown above, daffodil to the left, thistle to the right and perhaps a shamrock at the bottom. I think I can make out a lion on top of the crown.

Suitable for GB, not England.

I liked the 2010 Centenary shirt.

Why royal blue rather than the more traditional navy?

Personal taste.

This is my England shirt after all.

Anyone have any idea if they are actually having a new one for the World Cup?

I'd hope so, or at the very least, a freshly washed one.

definitely are but they want to release it close to the WC rather than early 

I think they missed a trick not selling it before the Exiles game, but they chose to keep that as a separate event and sell off the old stock

We await further information from the England camp and ISC sport according to Tom Coates

Thought id pitch in.

East london Mike has done a nice design. Like it a lot. Classic rugby league.

There are lots of valid points shared on this thread, so Im not wanting to say anyone is wrong. However, flags and jerseys don't necessarily have to match, do they. Aussies play in green and gold, and the kiwis plays in black.

The cross of st George is not always the way to go on a shirt. We've tried to design a Swedish jersey with the yellow cross on blue and it's not easy getting it to look stylish. It's easy to get it wrong, bordering on "naff".

Lets just hope the England design team have read these posts and make us proud this time. Someone mentioned, no one has a copyright on a chevron, and it does present a certain "attitude" for league strips.

Thought id pitch in.

East london Mike has done a nice design. Like it a lot. Classic rugby league.

There are lots of valid points shared on this thread, so Im not wanting to say anyone is wrong. However, flags and jerseys don't necessarily have to match, do they. Aussies play in green and gold, and the kiwis plays in black.

The cross of st George is not always the way to go on a shirt. We've tried to design a Swedish jersey with the yellow cross on blue and it's not easy getting it to look stylish. It's easy to get it wrong, bordering on "naff".

Lets just hope the England design team have read these posts and make us proud this time. Someone mentioned, no one has a copyright on a chevron, and it does present a certain "attitude" for league strips.

No offence mate but you're about as not English as it gets. ;)

No offence mate but you're about as not English as it gets. ;)

No offence but he's right.  Flags on shirts = awful.  FACT.

Especially stone ones, it'd be a walkover for the Aussies.

Ah, the old "my opinion is FACT (capitals for a bit more confirmation)" argument. Apologies to scottswed I wrongly assumed he was a Scot in Sweden. My humble apologies Scott.