Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Futtocks

Tennis

140 posts in this topic

I think I saw on telly this weekend that Andy Murray's creer earnings were over 27m !!!

Wouldn't surprise me; he's up there with the very top players. Maria Sharapova is currently worth something in the vicinity of $90 million. Although prize money isn't always on par with the men, her endorsements make her one hell of a lot.

Hope the weather's okay.

Weather is fine, but breezy, little one is enjoying it clapping & cheering at each point during Hampton v Wozniacki

Vesnini v Hampton in tomorrow's final, should be good

Good to know the Bleeplet is enjoying the day out.

Just got a text saying the Hampton v Wozniacki game is still being shown on BBC 2, sorry if I spoiled it

Bleeplet is 4 & really enjoys days out that is out of the normal, we went to a funfair near the seafront last night, I couldn't believe how loud her laughing was. A real joy.

Dodig v Lopez.

Might go for food, and come back later, after seeing some of the juniors

I like tennis. I didn't used to, but then my girlfriend (wife now) persuaded me to try and play. I was hooked.  I don't play now - I wish I did. The best thing about tennis is that  there's no final whistle or hooter, it's not over until it's over. In the men's game at Wimbledon you can by down 6- 0, 6 - 0, 5 - 0 and love forty and still come back and win. Unlikely but possible.

Nadal has lost the first set against some Belgian! :O

Maria Sharapova is a pleasure to watch on the court.  She's not bad at tennis either...  Have to have the volume down low though because of her grunting.

There's a new documentary due out in a few days about the 'Battle of the Sexes' match between Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs. Should be interesting - LINK TO REVIEW

Rafa Nadal is out. Beaten by some Belgian bloke. Good game though.

Laura Robson has just beaten the world No.10 Maria Kirilenko in straight sets. :)

Laura Robson has just beaten the world No.10 Maria Kirilenko in straight sets. :)

Robson is developing into a decent player. If she sorts out her erratic serving/problems with double faults she could easily be a top 20 player, perhaps even more.

Robson is developing into a decent player. If she sorts out her erratic serving/problems with double faults she could easily be a top 20 player, perhaps even more.

She served very well yesterday, which was encouraging. She's already one of the biggest and strongest players for her age, and has years in hand to gain experience and craftiness.

Blimey, people pulling out left, right and centre - Kohlschreiber, Azarenka, Darcis, Isner, Stepanek. It's like a Roman Catholic birth control tutorial!

Blimey, people pulling out left, right and centre - Kohlschreiber, Azarenka, Darcis, Isner, Stepanek. It's like a Roman Catholic birth control tutorial!

Even more today and others playing on injured.  Too many to be coincidence.  I bet there are a few lawyers getting all excited about now.

Tsonga retires, Sharapova struggling after a slip, Wozniacki lost after a fall - that's just this afternoon.

:D

And now Federer's gorn!Lost to the number 116 in the world, an unheralded Ukrainian whose surname I won't even attempt. Said Ukrainian was inspired - played beautiful serve and volley tennis and knocked out a visibly sulky and bad-tempered "Rog" in four sets. Great quote from the Ukrainian afterwards, too: "When you play Roger you play two people. You play Roger the person, and you also play his ego." Very astute.

And now Federer's gorn!Lost to the number 116 in the world, an unheralded Ukrainian whose surname I won't even attempt. Said Ukrainian was inspired - played beautiful serve and volley tennis and knocked out a visibly sulky and bad-tempered "Rog" in four sets. Great quote from the Ukrainian afterwards, too: "When you play Roger you play two people. You play Roger the person, and you also play his ego." Very astute.

Never thought I'd see classic serve and volley tennis in this day and age. It was a great contrast of styles between the two. Although Federer wasn't on absolute top form, Stakhovsky was brilliant. 26/06/13 - a day to remember for so many seeds going out.

Serena Williams is a bit of a beast on the court.  That's one hell of a lot of muscle she's packing there.  She looks like she terrifies the ball into going faster away from her as much as she wellies it with all that muscle.

This is seriously not said in a nasty way at all but she has the air about her of Mike Tyson when on the court.  My wife says she's actually quite a girly girl when off the tennis court.

Serena Williams is a bit of a beast on the court.  That's one hell of a lot of muscle she's packing there.  She looks like she terrifies the ball into going faster away from her as much as she wellies it with all that muscle.

This is seriously not said in a nasty way at all but she has the air about her of Mike Tyson when on the court.  My wife says she's actually quite a girly girl when off the tennis court.

The sheer power of Serena does distract people from the fact that so many other areas of her game are well ahead of the competition. I'd far rather watch her than those relentless two-handed baseliners who never go for winners but just try to keep the ball in play 'til their opponent makes a mistake. Serena's doubles experience makes her a potent threat anywhere on the court.

The sheer power of Serena does distract people from the fact that so many other areas of her game are well ahead of the competition. I'd far rather watch her than those relentless two-handed baseliners who never go for winners but just try to keep the ball in play 'til their opponent makes a mistake. Serena's doubles experience makes her a potent threat anywhere on the court.

She is very entertaining to watch, the only thing that makes her less entertaining is that there are so few that can give her a good game on a regular basis.  Not her fault though.

Edit:  Andy Murray did say he fancied playing her in a game, I think that'd be entertaining!