Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Daddy

Is anyone in favour of a national stadium for rugby league?

209 posts in this topic

The RFL own Odsal so why not? The Challenge Cup and the Grand Final and big yorkshire derbies could be played there eve Magic Weekend.

Leeds would be the best place for the stadium, the largest rugby league city in the uk. Seems as there is no major stadium in yorkshire im sure revenue would come in for rock concerts and other sports.

I thought about it for some time. The world cup will be a pointer if there are good crowds then who knows.

Nope, would not get used enough hence us having a stake in Wembley. 

Face it the costs of a 60K+ capacity stadium would not be made back by filling it twice a season for the main finals and once every few years for an international. With a few more games that nowhere near fill it every season. 

The RFL own Odsal so why not? The Challenge Cup and the Grand Final and big yorkshire derbies could be played there eve Magic Weekend.

Leeds would be the best place for the stadium, the largest rugby league city in the uk. Seems as there is no major stadium in yorkshire im sure revenue would come in for rock concerts and other sports.

The Leeds Arena operns shortly.  It would be a white elephant IMO even if the game could afford it.  As one Fev kid said on a TV documentary years ago about London "they've got Wembley, we've got Post Office Road!" ;)

Face it the costs of a 60K+ capacity stadium would not be made back by filling it twice a season for the main finals and once every few years for an international. With a few more games that nowhere near fill it every season. 

but aren't the rfl paying for it already

Hull City's owners, the Allams, stated during their spat with Hull City Council a while back, that if Hull City managed promotion into the Premier League, then they would "not be playing at the K.C.Stadium next season." *

So there you have it, a perfect stadium for Rugby League to enjoy in the north of England.

* Of course, they could have been telling porkies because they didn't expect their team to be promoted but that's just so not like them.

I'm in favour of lots of things. like free bicycles for bumble bees and compulsory sheepskin slippers for penguins, but without a lot of money they're not going to happen.

Anything big enough to be prestigious would surely be too big to maintain financially and would not get filled more than twice a year

No.

There is no money for this.

Tied up in our Wembley contract?

How can you say Leeds is the biggest rugby league city in the UK?

How can you say Leeds is the biggest rugby league city in the UK?

Sizewise and within the heartlands yes.

Sizewise and within the heartlands yes.

Sorry there is only one true rugby league city and thats Cod Head land. 

The rest of us are simply large towns with a RL majority. Small cities with a RL majority or Large cities with a large RL supporting base/team. 

Doncaster actually covers a greater area than Leeds :onthequiet: and if we go on players playing the game I think Hull will probably take that mantle.

Sizewise and within the heartlands yes

Who is to say it would only be used once or twice a year? Other sports or events could easily want to use it and what about semis or NRC games etc? Not to mention internationals.

Most people don't pay for their houses in cash upfront, most get a mortgage. If we sat down and thought about the risks, nobody would get a house because in theory nobody can afford it.

I aren't saying they should run out tomorrow and buy a stadium but I reckon they *could* afford it if you work out all the money that goes out of the game to soccer clubs etc

But we spend money on other peoples stadiums that we don't fill. Why not put the money into our own game? Over time the debt will disappear, just like your mortgage.

I assume someone has actually looked at this and worked it out and decided its a non starter but it is something I'd like to see if possible.

But we spend money on other peoples stadiums that we don't fill. Why not put the money into our own game? Over time the debt will disappear, just like your mortgage.

I assume someone has actually looked at this and worked it out and decided its a non starter but it is something I'd like to see if possible.

How many games a year are you going to play at this mythical stadium ?

It's not just the cost of building it - you have to pay the running costs after it's built. The repairs and running costs are the reason Don Valley's going to be demolished.

The fact is we only need a big stadium three or four times (CC, GF, Magic and an big interantional or so which averages out) a year, so I think it works well to be able to split these events between different parts of the country. For all other games we have club stadia that are perfectly adequate.

The RFL already own grounds or shares in grounds for a number of clubs I beleive (i.e. no tjust Odsal), and if they have any money to invest in stadiums then that is the way forward IMHO.

I'd love to see our own stadium built in Bradford. We can move the Challenge Cup away from Wembley, our only successful venture down south. Then we can move the Grand Final away from Old Trafford, our only successful venture in Manchester. So that's our two most important cities, and our two biggest expansion targets, crossed off the list. Follow it up by selling Red Hall and moving all the RFL offices to Odsal as well.

We'll be well on our way to becoming the Northern Union. What a fantastic vision for the future of our sport.

Other than the home nations and France, do any other countries have National Stadiums other than those built for the Olympic Games?