Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bedford Roughyed

Badger Cull starts on Saturday

61 posts in this topic

TBF if someone was trying to kill me I'd be pretty annoyed too.

Have the badgers been reading the papers?

Badger cull starts on Monday it would seem, in test areas.

The cull is expected to kill 75% - 80% of Badgers in an area, and is expected to reduce TB infected cattle by 16%.

Taken nationally the rough figures are 175,000 (of 250,000) Badgers killed to save 4480 cattle (of 28,000).

Farmers union have taken out an injunction that stops you even using a torch at night in the culling areas...

http://www.theguardian.com/global/2013/aug/24/badger-cull-brian-may-rspca?guni=Keyword%3Anews-grid+main-1+Main+trailblock%3AEditable+trailblock+-+news%3APosition3

Rock star Brian May, a vice-president of the RSPCA, has accused the government of being involved in a campaign to discredit animal welfare organisations as part of an increasingly rancorous war of words ahead of this week's badger cull.

Speaking before the expected start of the cull tomorrow, the Queen guitarist accused officials of utilising vested interests and elements of the media to espouse "propaganda" supporting the controversial scheme.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/blog/2011/aug/11/badger-cull-dont-stop-bovine-tb?CMP=twt_gu

Members of the public who may know little about farming – or wildlife – could be forgiven for thinking that farmers' lives are being ruined by badgers.

It is a message being peddled by the farming press, by some – but not all – farmers, and even by the BBC's Countryfile programme. They say that thousands of cattle are being slaughtered every year (30,000 in 2010) because of bovine tuberculosis (bTB) – an airborne respiratory disease – at enormous cost to farmers and the taxpayer: £100m last year. This much is true. They also say that bTB is being passed to cattle by badgers. This I dispute, based on evidence from those who know better than me – scientists.

you won`t see hedgehogs where badgers live   .badgers like to eat them.

You will see hedgehogs in the same areas as badgers. They are competitor species and eat some of the same prey types. It is thought that some badgers are able to eat hedgehogs. Badgers mainly eat worms, grubs etc.. There are hedgehogs in the areas where the cull will take place. I have seen hedgehogs within yards of badger setts and I get both species in my garden.

Some people attribute the decline in hedgehog nos to the increase In nos of badgers but naturalists see this as a mInor factor compared to farming practices, habitat loss, changes in gardens/gardening and the squashing by cars etc..