Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

amm

Leigh Centurions

259 posts in this topic

My Grandson has played for Fev Lions junior teams struggling to make a side up, and the coaches tell me that in the days before Super League they would of get 60'odd kids per age group on a training night when it used to be Jubilee ARLFC. As far as banter in schools go, maybe I'm too old, but when I went to school in Sharlston, all the talk was Wakey & Fev, even tig & pass in the playground between the two sets of supporters, and maybe that's why they produced so many of the game's legends. This isn't happening any more because the parity has gone, and the area around Featherstone is not producing as many quality players as it did in the days before SL, Zac Hardacre being an outstanding exception.

Do you think the extinction of the mining industry which used, bu it's very nature, to produce tough, muscular men ideally suited to our game has had any bearing on the decline of the amateur game in and around fev.?

Sounds good, I might start posting on here agan.

Yaaaaaayyyy. .. morning pencil!!

Do you think the extinction of the mining industry which used, bu it's very nature, to produce tough, muscular men ideally suited to our game has had any bearing on the decline of the amateur game in and around fev.?

Possibly...though i wasn't aware that having pneumoconiosis was an advanage for a player

Possibly...though i wasn't aware that having pneumoconiosis was an advanage for a player

Touchee.

However, pneumoconiosis sufferers aside, there were a large number of top class forwards from Dixon, to Morgan to Clawson to Peter ? Smith and many others that came from the Featherstone area and most worked in the pit.

Touchee.

However, pneumoconiosis sufferers aside, there were a large number of top class forwards from Dixon, to Morgan to Clawson to Peter ? Smith and many others that came from the Featherstone area and most worked in the pit.

Not sure whether that's the reason or not.  The pit closures happened only a few years before Super League so it's very difficult to tell.  The economy of the area has shifted more towards retail distribution, which is clearly less physically demanding.

Peter Smith btw was/is the caretaker at N.E.W. College in Pontefract (well he was when I was there 90-92)

Sounds good, I might start posting on here agan.

I'm waiting to see how it works in practice. I can understand the "don't make it personal" bit and "avoid repetition" but if we all just agree to disagree then it's not really a forum any more.

Touchee.

Adam Fogerty was in Brassed Off. Does that count?

Not sure whether that's the reason or not.  The pit closures happened only a few years before Super League so it's very difficult to tell.  The economy of the area has shifted more towards retail distribution, which is clearly less physically demanding.

Peter Smith btw was/is the caretaker at N.E.W. College in Pontefract (well he was when I was there 90-92)

I know i sometimes harp back to the past too much but  forwards who could tackle as often and as well as Peter Smith are a rarity today and some of the shoulder grabbing nonsense that passes for defence and the subsequent wrestling matches that break out because the ball carrier's legs are unimpeded of today would be eliminated in short order with tacklers of Smith's ability out there.

One of my all time favourite movies. tghat should count for something.

I'm waiting to see how it works in practice. I can understand the "don't make it personal" bit and "avoid repetition" but if we all just agree to disagree then it's not really a forum any more.

It works in practice already in the vast majority of threads on this forum. Only a few are ruined by petty personal point scoring and outright trolling and generally by the same handul of people. They are the ones who are on notice now. That's all.

It works in practice already in the vast majority of threads on this forum. Only a few are ruined by petty personal point scoring and outright trolling and generally by the same handul of people. They are the ones who are on notice now. That's all.

If it is, as you say it is, then it is good.

I know i sometimes harp back to the past too much but  forwards who could tackle as often and as well as Peter Smith are a rarity today and some of the shoulder grabbing nonsense that passes for defence and the subsequent wrestling matches that break out because the ball carrier's legs are unimpeded of today would be eliminated in short order with tacklers of Smith's ability out there.

Never seen anyone that could tackle as well as Pete Smith

Ball and man wrapped up every time, no need for two in the tackle when anyone went near him.

i remember adam fogerty being counted out by the bullock shed when gary rose gave him a straightener,

One of my all time favourite movies. tghat should count for something.

Did a tear fall when the mighty Grimethorpe played 'Danny Boy' ?

Wigan and Saints had a few ex miners, I think, too. Different game now, .

not for me it didn't

and I don't buy this how great it was that people worked ndown the pit because it bred good rugby leage players

In brassed off we had this crudely presented story of the miner losing his dignity after losing his job down the pit and having to be a children's entertainer

on the other hand his dad is dying of lung disease: you can't have it both ways

my old man worked down the piut all his life with a 6 year break for world war 2. He played fo fev second team. He lasted a year int his retirement his mining related lung disease did for him: not vrery dignified

thi romanticisng of coal mining is ######.

There are men still buried in Ackton Hall colliery after a mudslip obver 40 years ago. Willis Fawley one of the gratest hookers never to play for Great Britaiin was involved in the incident. He was traumatised for therst of hs life

Agree with you about mining as you know. But just the sound of Danny Boy played by Grimethorpe Band...completely separate from the film, brings me out in goose pimples.

As another aside, every time I see Stephen Tomkinson, I see Mr Chuckles.

Agree with you about mining as you know. But just the sound of Danny Boy played by Grimethorpe Band...completely separate from the film, brings me out in goose pimples.

As another aside, every time I see Stephen Tomkinson, I see Mr Chuckles.

Yes I know what you mean

When I think of Tomlinson I think of that ###### Africa programme

I was sad when I heard of Pete Posthlethwaite's death. A very fine actor.

Leigh Centurions have never been so popular , if only we had as many through the gates as viewers of this thread...is it not it's bed time yet?

(it were all the 6's so I had to post summert)

not for me it didn't

and I don't buy this how great it was that people worked ndown the pit because it bred good rugby leage players

In brassed off we had this crudely presented story of the miner losing his dignity after losing his job down the pit and having to be a children's entertainer

on the other hand his dad is dying of lung disease: you can't have it both ways

my old man worked down the piut all his life with a 6 year break for world war 2. He played fo fev second team. He lasted a year int his retirement his mining related lung disease did for him: not vrery dignified

thi romanticisng of coal mining is ######.

There are men still buried in Ackton Hall colliery after a mudslip obver 40 years ago. Willis Fawley one of the gratest hookers never to play for Great Britaiin was involved in the incident. He was traumatised for therst of hs life

Mysterioso,

I was cetainly not romanticising the mining industry. I had a couple of uncles die from pneumoconiosis and a cousin who has spent the last 6o years on one leg due to a pit accident. It was a tough and brutal industry.

However, i think there is no doubt that it's demanding physical work day after day honed big strong, tough, determined men and when these men chose to play rugby, these built in physical attributes, attributable to the hard physical toil of their jobs, made them ideal rugby players.

I think also that Rugby gave them a release from the stresses of their dirty and dangerous working lives and maybe contributed to the large numbers of persons turning to the sport.

It was just a thought from me in answer to the poster who was writing about the declining numbers of players currently turning out for the fev amateur teams.

I certainly did not wish to precipitate a debate on the pros and cons of mining. I did not bring up the subject of the film.

However, I did like it. i thought the Danny Boy scene moving and encapsulated the three plot lines of the film, i.e. the love of music, another outlet for the miners, like RL, from the horror of their jobs. the tremendous sense of community in those pit villages which manifested itself in their support of their dying band leader, and the sense of doom at the extinction of their jobs and livlihoods, however grim, signified  by the extinguishing of their helmet lights at the end of the performance. Also the loss of self worth that affects many men, not just miners, when they are made redundant and cannot fend for their families.

Like and dislike are personal choices, but I liked it, sorry.

Don't know about the diminishing number of kids playing rugby in Fev. I've been down to Fev Lions tonight to take my grandson for his very first training session and there were over 50 youngsters all under the age of 7 years. Looks ok to me

Don't know about the diminishing number of kids playing rugby in Fev. I've been down to Fev Lions tonight to take my grandson for his very first training session and there were over 50 youngsters all under the age of 7 years. Looks ok to me

A very special time for any youngster and for those encouraging them to take up sport but an infinitely more special time for you I'm sure

Thanks for making my day

Chris w

Leigh Centurions have never been so popular , if only we had as many through the gates as viewers of this thread...is it not it's bed time yet?

(it were all the 6's so I had to post summert)

Keep up the good work.!

Your family has a rich history in the game. If he is as good as his relatives, don't want to jinx him though, he will be a credit to the game.

Great to see that there were 50 plus kids there. Good news for the Rovers in the future also.

Your family has a rich history in the game. If he is as good as his relatives, don't want to jinx him though, he will be a credit to the game.

Great to see that there were 50 plus kids there. Good news for the Rovers in the future also.

they don't all end up at the rovers, the 3 briscoes went to hull for eg.