Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

amm

Leigh Centurions

259 posts in this topic

Pointless stuff.

Well done Leigh.

Yes

Yes

1pm sat ko killed the gate IMO at Leigh

Why?

1pm sat ko killed the gate IMO at Leigh

I think it is more to do with there being no promotion and relegation. It is effectively a friendly and people from Leigh know this.

Btw I chose not to go to the London V Cas game mainly for the same reason

Patronising  effluvia. Neither Leigh nor Featherstone, bother fiercely competitive on the pitch and very touchy off it,  have ever played in a friendly manner and the real fans of both clubs will be hurt by you baseless accusation.

If there ain't no P and R , what are both clubs doing announcing their intentions towards Superleague and spending so much time on money to get promoted to it?

Why?

A lot of people now work Saturdays, certainly to early afternoon. eg delivery drivers, builders/tradesmen etc plus you have the conference playing summer on Saturday. Generally SL sat games have smaller gates if I recall even with a later ko

I am an advocate of Sat 6.30-7pm ko for Leigh in summer btw

I think it is more to do with there being no promotion and relegation. It is effectively a friendly and people from Leigh know this.

Btw I chose not to go to the London V Cas game mainly for the same reason

and lobby's cracked record is on the turntable once again........

Doesn't the 2077 beat last years crowd at home to Featherstone.

It was a darn good gate for a saturday early kick off wasn't it??

As for the P & R drivel, why don't you check the Leigh.v.Feathestone gate when there WAS promotion and relegation and you actually got it? The facts don't suit your case at all.

What the Leigh people actually know because your chairman is so honest and forthright is that Leigh are stuffed for promotion. they are £2,300,000 a season off being able to sit on the bottom rung of Superleague, and a cool £5,000,000 a season off being able to live with the likes of Leeds.

If anything the gate was a very good gate with people rallying around the club in a time of need....

Doesn't the 2077 beat last years crowd at home to Featherstone.

It was a darn good gate for a saturday early kick off wasn't it??

As for the P & R drivel, why don't you check the Leigh.v.Feathestone gate when there WAS promotion and relegation and you actually got it? The facts don't suit your case at all.

What the Leigh people actually know because your chairman is so honest and forthright is that Leigh are stuffed for promotion. they are £2,300,000 a season off being able to sit on the bottom rung of Superleague, and a cool £5,000,000 a season off being able to live with the likes of Leeds.

If anything the gate was a very good gate with people rallying around the club in a time of need....

So what does that say about the fact that London are still in SL.? They are totally reliant on the largesse of one man seeing as how they can;t even attrcat more spectators than Leigh. If leigh were in SL, i would hazard a guess that they would attract a minimum of 4,000 average, given the derbies with Wigan, Saints, warrington widnes and Salford. they did that last time playing out of Hilton Park and made a profit on the season.

From what I can gather Hughes is quite old and has inimtated he cannot go on funding the Broncos forever. On top of that they will have no stadium to play in shortly whereas Leigh have a new international standard arena.

So, investor apart, I think Leigh have it over London. Now, if Leigh could get promoted and find the next Dr. Koukash, all bets are off. 

If leigh were in SL, i would hazard a guess that they would attract a minimum of 4,000 average, given the derbies with Wigan, Saints, warrington widnes and Salford. they did that last time playing out of Hilton Park and made a profit on the season.

I think Leigh have it over London. Now, if Leigh could get promoted and find the next Dr. Koukash, all bets are off.

A 4,000 crowd will lead to Leigh failing to compete and going under like they did last time when they ended the SL season totally skint.

If you think the future of RL is a small town in Wigan that produces few pro players, over a club in the capital then there's no point me debating with you, and if you think anyone like Koukash would throw millions a year away on a tiny club who have no prospect of growth then your dreaming.

So what does that say about the fact that London are still in SL.? They are totally reliant on the largesse of one man seeing as how they can;t even attrcat more spectators than Leigh. If leigh were in SL, i would hazard a guess that they would attract a minimum of 4,000 average, given the derbies with Wigan, Saints, warrington widnes and Salford. they did that last time playing out of Hilton Park and made a profit on the season.

From what I can gather Hughes is quite old and has inimtated he cannot go on funding the Broncos forever. On top of that they will have no stadium to play in shortly whereas Leigh have a new international standard arena.

So, investor apart, I think Leigh have it over London. Now, if Leigh could get promoted and find the next Dr. Koukash, all bets are off. 

Don't you think there is a big risk, though?

You put it so well when you said

- harzard

- guess

- if.

Hardly a strong business case.

Fan increase in the Championship coupled with administration and financial improvements, I would say Licensing is doing its job

Fan increase in the Championship coupled with administration and financial improvements, I would say Licensing is doing its job

Nonsense.

-Crowds are decreasing (despite stadium improvements)

-Financial problems are worse (due to lower crowds)

-Fans are ##### angry and want change (i.e. sone form of P&R by right)

For reference leigh got 5000 in a disastrous SL season in a ground not suitable for big gates

The same gate now would allow full cap and a profit, straight from the former chairmans lips

I believe a lower mid teAm would draw 6500

For reference leigh got 5000 in a disastrous SL season in a ground not suitable for big gates

The same gate now would allow full cap and a profit, straight from the former chairmans lips

Why would 5,000 allow the full cap now when it didn't before, how come clubs with a higher average than that are not able to spend the full cap. That statement from your former chairman is a nonsense, maybe that's why he is the former chairman, I take it maths isn't his strong point.

how wasnt it suitable for 'big gates'. Was the capacity reduced? Were people put of because they thought they might not get in?

Leih were lucky that year because they have neighbours who bring a lot of away support. Even a basic analysis of the Centurions attendances that year higlights the clubs dependence on clubs like Wigan to provide that 5,000 average: which actually wasn't 5,000-you hav rounded the figure upwards.

edit: as for the full cap and a profit...

Hilton Park had a capacity of around 10k, Leigh averaged 4,750 at HP when in SL.

A good indicator of a clubs core support is games against London and Catalan, Leigh didn't play Catalan however the London attendance was 3,201.  This was only the 4th home game that season.

This is not about Leigh bashing, good to see they are modernising business wise, its about supporters needing a bit of a reality check as to how much work needs to be done.

leigh is a staunch rl area but lately in junior and under 16's rugby the 2 leigh based clubs are struggling to attract players, perhaps they all want to play for the pies, that said i would love to see leigh in super league as they would offer a great deal in terms of facilities, crowds, etc etc the championship derbies with widnes were always sell outs at both grounds and just imagine what a league game against wigan or saints would give them.

leigh is a staunch rl area but lately in junior and under 16's rugby the 2 leigh based clubs are struggling to attract players, perhaps they all want to play for the pies, that said i would love to see leigh in super league as they would offer a great deal in terms of facilities, crowds, etc etc the championship derbies with widnes were always sell outs at both grounds and just imagine what a league game against wigan or saints would give them.

Leigh v Widnes in SL got 5,170 just about 50% of capacity.

Widnes v Leigh in SL got 6,026 around 60% of capacity at the time.

Strange sell outs.

In the Championship in 2010 attendances were:

@ Leigh 3,392  around 28% of capacity

@ Widnes 3,356 around 25% of capacity

Even stranger sell outs.

I don't know where you get the idea that every Leigh v Widnes game was a sell out, its obviously not true.

If the Leigh based amateur clubs are struggling for players (and I will check this) then this would be strong evidence that licensing and the lack of meaningful second tier games, is having a direct negative impact.

Why would any Leigh based amateurs consider playing for teams in Wigan?

Leigh v Widnes in SL got 5,170 just about 50% of capacity.

Widnes v Leigh in SL got 6,026 around 60% of capacity at the time.

Strange sell outs.

In the Championship in 2010 attendances were:

@ Leigh 3,392  around 28% of capacity

@ Widnes 3,356 around 25% of capacity

Even stranger sell outs.

I don't know where you get the idea that every Leigh v Widnes game was a sell out, its obviously not true.

figure of speech padge, they were always the highest crowds of the season...

It's good to see clubs like Leigh taking a positive attitude and aiming for a sustainable presence. It can't be easy but  I;m sure it will be worthwhile, especially with fans, club and stakeholders pulling together and abandoning victim-hood.

A sense of proportion is required though, as is  acceptance of the real situation. 

The world, has changes, England has changed and  peoples ambitions, expectations and behavior have all advanced. We can't put SuperLeague, Sky, the Internet, out of town shopping centres, holidays, ease of travel to cities such as Manchester or Liverpool etc back in the the box. The realities of modern life indicate that  things in the game  will never ever be what they were at this level, and the certainly will never ever be what some exaggeratedly think they were.

If the Leigh based amateur clubs are struggling for players (and I will check this) then this would be strong evidence that licensing and the lack of meaningful second tier games, is having a direct negative impact.

leigh miners under 18's failed to complete fixtures last season and had 90 points+ put on them by thatto heath, in junior games both miners and easts turned up with the bare minimum of players with no substitutes on several occasions. that really surprised me as both clubs have been stalwarts of the amateur game for many many years.

There's also evidence that the Open Age switch to Summer Rugby is affecting clubs, some positive some negative (take a look at the National Conference forum on this very website!) and Leigh East seem to have some internal politics to contend with so I'm not sure how much you can pin on licensing at Super League level having a baring on amateur clubs!

There's a whole host of reasons why lads in Leigh would play in Wigan and further afield and I'm sure if you look you'll find lads playing for Leigh teams from out of town as well, such is life.