Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

amm

Leigh Centurions

259 posts in this topic

There's also evidence that the Open Age switch to Summer Rugby is affecting clubs, some positive some negative (take a look at the National Conference forum on this very website!) and Leigh East seem to have some internal politics to contend with so I'm not sure how much you can pin on licensing at Super League level having a baring on amateur clubs!

There's a whole host of reasons why lads in Leigh would play in Wigan and further afield and I'm sure if you look you'll find lads playing for Leigh teams from out of town as well, such is life.

Ever heard of travel limitations?

When I was a kid I played for both Leigh Rangers (Based then on the extreme east side of Leigh), and Leigh Juniors which was based closer to were I lived). I chose to play most of my youth at Leigh Juniors because it was far easier to get to (my parents didnt have a car).

I would never have considered playing out of town - especially not for a Wigan club

When I was a kid I played for both Leigh Rangers (Based then on the extreme east side of Leigh), and Leigh Juniors which was based closer to were I lived). I chose to play most of my youth at Leigh Juniors because it was far easier to get to (my parents didnt have a car).

I would never have considered playing out of town - especially not for a Wigan club

Its hardly travelling to the ends of the earth though is it!

I'm sure kids these days mostly come from homes with cars and mostly will no doubt want to play there rugby with there mates.  Open age lads will move for a whole host of reasons, I'm sure in seasons gone by for example when Leigh East were European Champions they attracted kids and seniors from far and wide.

That was then and this is now.  In the 21st century, kids have greater  ambition, higher expectations....and bicycles.   You'll have missed ever such a lot not playing at away games.

That was then and this is now. In the 21st century, kids have greater ambition, higher expectations....and bicycles. You'll have missed ever such a lot not playing at away games.

1/ I did have a bike - however I didnt fancy a 3-4mile ride in the rain. Also it would have been nicked as I recall there was a big council estate near the clubhouse.

2/ Of course I played away games. Everyone got lifts to those from a central meeting point (usually Leigh library car park)

Leigh in SL would spend full cap with 5000 gates trust me I know

So go on then how, if you know, then surely you can inform the rugby world how its done since a good few clubs would love to know how.

Hull KR, averaging 8k have been subsidised to the tune £500,000/season and Hudgell as all but given up.  

So go on then how, if you know, then surely you can inform the rugby world how its done since a good few clubs would love to know how.

Hull KR, averaging 8k have been subsidised to the tune £500,000/season and Hudgell as all but given up.

Isnt this partially to do with funding ground improvements at Craven Park?

There are clubs in SL who are on lower gates than Hull KR but dont seem to be in as much trouble (e.g. Wakey, Cas, etc).

Why dont you use the subsidation argument with Wire and Saints who are little better supported? If their benefactors pulled put why would they be better off than Hull KR?

Isnt this partially to do with funding ground improvements at Craven Park?

There are clubs in SL who are on lower gates than Hull KR but dont seem to be in as much trouble (e.g. Wakey, Cas, etc).

Why dont you use the subsidation argument with Wire and Saints who are little better supported? If their benefactors pulled put why would they be better off than Hull KR?

Saints and Warrington pull in 3k and 2k more than Hull KR, that is double and more than the 5k that SC is claiming Leigh can break even on and spend the full cap. That puts both clubs at over 10k,

I want to know how Leigh will pay the full cap on crowds of 5k as claimed, because if its by a directors subsidy then its going to have to be the biggest in SL.

Wakefield and Castleford do not spend the full cap, so the comparison isn't valid.

Back of a beer mat maths;

Its £18 for an adult match day ticket at Leigh.

Average crowd is circa 2000 this season give or take, so the 5k crowd would deliver at most an extra £585,000, throw in the Sky money of what circa £1 million a year (I loose track of the exact figure) plus Leighs existing salary cap spend that was posted on here as being £200k or so.

Hey presto you've got roughly enough to pay the full cap (excluding exemptions and bonuses) and turn a small profit.

Obviously you've not factored in the cost of full time coaching staff, admin staff, medical staff, training facilities for the extra days a full time setup requires them, additional matchday costs (you've doubled the gate afterall!), the fact not all your ticket sales will be at adult matchday prices, nobody else in the history of Super League has turned a profit on a 5k crowd. Well apart from any of that and any other costs/factors I've missed, its all looking peachy!

Back of a beer mat maths;

Its £18 for an adult match day ticket at Leigh.

Average crowd is circa 2000 this season give or take, so the 5k crowd would deliver at most an extra £585,000, throw in the Sky money of what circa £1 million a year (I loose track of the exact figure) plus Leighs existing salary cap spend that was posted on here as being £200k or so.

Hey presto you've got roughly enough to pay the full cap (excluding exemptions and bonuses) and turn a small profit.

Obviously you've not factored in the cost of full time coaching staff, admin staff, medical staff, training facilities for the extra days a full time setup requires them, additional matchday costs (you've doubled the gate afterall!), the fact not all your ticket sales will be at adult matchday prices, nobody else in the history of Super League has turned a profit on a 5k crowd. Well apart from any of that and any other costs/factors I've missed, its all looking peachy!

Coach £70k-100k

Admin, Other coaches, Medics etc, £250k - £300k

Travel/Hotels £50k

Plus loads of other gubbins.

It's got £500k-£750k loss written all over it.

Coach £70k-100k

Admin, Other coaches, Medics etc, £250k - £300k

Travel/Hotels £50k

Plus loads of other gubbins.

It's got £500k-£750k loss written all over it.

And then some I'd say, looking at other clubs who presumably are not running at a loss for the hell of it.

If the Leigh based amateur clubs are struggling for players (and I will check this) then this would be strong evidence that licensing and the lack of meaningful second tier games, is having a direct negative impact.

Why would any Leigh based amateurs consider playing for teams in Wigan?

This is (I'm sorry) one of you most desperate posts.

Hunslet based amateurs have been attracted to Leeds for decades.

Now Hunslet based fans are attracted to Leeds.

For fans and players Superleague is where the vast majority want to be and that is how it is, that is how it is statistically that is how it is factually.

leigh is a staunch rl area but lately in junior and under 16's rugby the 2 leigh based clubs are struggling to attract players, perhaps they all want to play for the pies, that said i would love to see leigh in super league as they would offer a great deal in terms of facilities, crowds, etc etc the championship derbies with widnes were always sell outs at both grounds and just imagine what a league game against wigan or saints would give them.

This post follows on from your assertion the poor crowd Widnes got against Catalans "proved" 1500 more Widnesians were watching the club. Is this debate or is it fantasy?

Leigh in SL would spend full cap with 5000 gates trust me I know

Like Padge I can't take "trust me" as a serious point.

13 games x 5000 fans x £25 a fan = full cap

Then you get £1.2M from SKY.

Brilliant - you have over a £Million profit.

How do Castleford, Wakefield, Bradford, HKR, Huddersfield, Salford, etc therefore fail to make any profit on crowds bigger than 5,000 and either go bust or lean heavily on Richie Rich?

leigh miners under 18's failed to complete fixtures last season and had 90 points+ put on them by thatto heath, in junior games both miners and easts turned up with the bare minimum of players with no substitutes on several occasions. that really surprised me as both clubs have been stalwarts of the amateur game for many many years.

Tis the lack of P & R you know.

IMHO we are in the age of the big clubs are everything, what's fed to you on telly is everything, all kids whether looking to follow or play sport turn on the telly and connect with the top level.

If people want to resurrect the likes of Leigh or my club Hunslet they are onto a loser. It's the Wigans and Leeds that are the future of this game.

The sooner we put everything we can into a top tier and stop trying to cling on to the past the better.

If Wigan were the local club for Leigh would Miners or Easts have any trouble promoting the game to kids. I know Hunslet Warriors have no problems....

I cant say that i'm dissapointed with this news.

Mr Freer and a few others gave it there best shot in the early/mid 2000s and brought relative success to the club and they should be thanked for that.

unfortunately he and one or two others stuck around 'way to long, and the club went backwards until Arthur Thomas took over and turned the clubs fortunes around again.Then AT has to pull out and the same people take control of the club again,massively increase ST prices,take the average att from over 2400 down to 1500 and turn the club into a farm club for wigan,all done in 18 months.

Nope not dissapointed at all

Leigh will pay full cap on 5000 gates and break even

Change is gathering pace at LCRLFC - 2014 will be brilliant.

So come on explain how.

Any chance we can change back to being called Leigh Rugby Football Club and dump the awful Centurions moniker?

Not sure I'm quite with you yet SC, but your optimism is brilliant  B)

John Roddy comes across as a very astute business man so I feel quietly confident that we are in good hands, along with the assembled management team.

Not sure I'm quite with you yet SC, but your optimism is brilliant  B)

John Roddy comes across as a very astute business man so I feel quietly confident that we are in good hands, along with the assembled management team.

Cast away the negativity that smothers you by residing in the dark side, trust me mi owd Leyth bird when have I ever told you untruths

John is a great leader and shares the vision.

Given the fact that we have a new stadium (and SL clubs with new stadia all showed a large increase in fans, Leigh will get at least 1.5x 4700 with a poor SL team and over 10k with a good team

Given the fact that we have a new stadium (and SL clubs with new stadia all showed a large increase in fans, Leigh will get at least 1.5x 4700 with a poor SL team and over 10k with a good team

ha ha ha.....

The clubs who achieved large growth with new stadia were big clubs not a small town club.

What crowds do Widnes get in their smart new stadia? 4,600 against Les Cats.

What crowd did the mighty Fartown turn up at their wonderful stadia? 5,000??

Winning matches primarily draws the fans

You also assume the 4700 who witnessed Leigh collapse in 2005 are all going to come back. As you can see above despite Leigh being a very successful CC club and having a great stadia crowds have been steadily dropping.

But of course that us due to P & R I know.

You have been away too long Lobby.

5000 is prudent, 7000 is achievable and 10000 will take a number of years, if ever