Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

scott

Team for Leigh

56 posts in this topic

Cater

Miller

Morris

Connor

Mossop

Craven (if possible)

Callum

Dowes

Matty

Coward

Brett

Stack

Lupton

Olstrom

Acton

Thackray

Walne (if we can get his loan extended)

I like the sound of that team Scott, perhaps if Mr. Noble decides not to extend the loan, then the last spot on the bench is a natural place for a Widnes Forward.

Either another widnes forward or Shacks

Are Brett Phillips and Jamie Acton back?? hope so.

It's said in last weeks news and star that Brett acton and coyle are back in contention

i think bretts a definate but acton is very possible as well.

If Brett and Jamie are deffo back then that will be the first time in the last 2seasons that we have had all of our pack available for a game, only Rooney, Dowes and Coyle missing from the from the squad. Great news

If Brett and Jamie are deffo back then that will be the first time in the last 2seasons that we have had all of our pack available for a game, only Rooney, Dowes and Coyle missing from the from the squad. Great news

is dowes injured?

Probably means Dawes ?

How can he be missing from the squad if he's not even signed.

Or have I missed something??

Oooops It should have read Dawes, the young lad from Maryport, not the bubble permed Salterbeck Superstar !!

How can he be missing from the squad if he's not even signed.

Or have I missed something??

jonathan signed for 2 years. its a shame stephen isnt signed in as he could have given us options in the back line. i would have him on the wing with elliot inside him, that would seriously give us a lot of pace.

jonathan signed for 2 years. its a shame stephen isnt signed in as he could have given us options in the back line. i would have him on the wing with elliot inside him, that would seriously give us a lot of pace.

What's happened to Jonathan then Wonky, is he still injured. Yeah I like Steven too, told me he was taking a year out of the game because he's fed up with injuries.

What's happened to Jonathan then Wonky, is he still injured. Yeah I like Steven too, told me he was taking a year out of the game because he's fed up with injuries.

yeah he got injured early last year and i think there was complications with hes op. i would be shocked if we seen him play for town again, which is a huge shame. lets just hope dan rooney gets himself fit and healthy for next gear as hes the best centre we have by quite a distance.

The referee for Sunday .......... Mr. Turley!

I'm a little perplexed, he is a member of the Leigh Referees Association. I thought that meant he can't referee a Leigh game?

Ref: W Turley

Touch J: T Mahar

Touch J: T Selby

Reserve: A Gill

M Com: C Hodgson

What !!! I'm bemused by that . Turley from Leigh and part of the Turley dynasty from Leigh ?

Not impuning the bloke personally but a very strange pick with lots of refs about !!!

Can anyone clarify the ruling?

Answering my own question. I have read through the operational rules and and it appears that there is nothing formal to prevent such an appointment. Can anyone recall another example of such an appointment? I can vaguely recall that a quality referee in the past never got enough chances to officiate at a Cup Final because his home town club was a regular participant (Connelly?).

Well Ganson from St Helens has reffed his hometown team as has Thaler with Wakey and Turley reffed a Leigh amateur team v Haven at Hilton Park a few years ago.

Can anyone clarify the ruling?
Answering my own question. I have read through the operational rules and and it appears that there is nothing formal to prevent such an appointment. Can anyone recall another example of such an appointment? I can vaguely recall that a quality referee in the past never got enough chances to officiate at a Cup Final because his home town club were a regular participant.

Young Dawesy won't be playing this season I don't think.

Hope he doesn't give up after his latest setback.

Thanks for the information westerner, I have just been reading an interesting discussion on the general forum about whether it is fair on referees to allow them to officiate at their hometown clubs? Incidentally I noticed that Mr Hewer once refereed a Whitehaven v Barrow league game. My view is not to question the integrity or neutrality of the referee in such situations, but rather that it unnecessarily places undue pressure on such officials from supporters, perhaps even from both sides. A recent study (Super League) showed that it is possible to arrange appointments where such obvious links are avoided, so why try to prove neutrality by "forcing" the issue

Looking forward to a great game on Sunday.

Nice article about Jamie Acton in the N & S today. Says some nice things about our fans ( well deserved praise), and says how much he wants to continue his rugby education at Town next year. The club and coaching staff must be doing something right to instil that kind of belief.

Thanks for the information westerner, I have just been reading an interesting discussion on the general forum about whether it is fair on referees to allow them to officiate at their hometown clubs? Incidentally I noticed that Mr Hewer once refereed a Whitehaven v Barrow league game. My view is not to question the integrity or neutrality of the referee in such situations, but rather that it unnecessarily places undue pressure on such officials from supporters, perhaps even from both sides. A recent study (Super League) showed that it is possible to arrange appointments where such obvious links are avoided, so why try to prove neutrality by "forcing" the issue

Looking forward to a great game on Sunday.

It is something that we always seem to meet.   When we play at home to a team from Yorkshire we seem to get the officials from Yorkshire and also when we play a team from the west of the Pennines we get a ref from that area as well.       It just doesn't seem the right way of doing it at times!!!!

Very tempting to encourage Acton to play against Leigh, but when you read the N & S article it's seems sensible to definitely leave it one more week ( at least). A pity, but his long term future is more important than one game.

N & S 04/06/13

(quote)...........he has been out for a month with a spinal fracture and is unsure if he will return next weekend against Leigh, following medical advice.

“They said when I felt okay I should leave it another week before playing. The first time I felt okay was yesterday and the day before,” he said. “It’s not like a broken thumb that you can strap up and still play, and be a bit sore. One knock could put me back four weeks. It is really frustrating.” (unquote).

Wigan have nine injured players, perhaps they will bring back all their Leigh DR players for their game against Widnes!

We can but live in hope!

DR is one thing , but SL teams loaning players to other SL teams as we've seen this season is something else . I'd stop that , what kind of message does that give ? These SL franchises with all these teams and full squads of talent and players out on DR are loaning players from rival teams . Use you're own you've enough numbers , smells wrong that . Gareth O'Brien is doing the rounds !