Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bob8

Denmark Rugby League (Merged threads)

138 posts in this topic

Copenhagen 16 - Skåne 40

How lads who get on so well off the pitch can have such an ill tempered match on the pitch is one of the great mysteries of rugby league.

Edited by Bob8

Awful game to Ref to be honest, as players more wanting to squabble and play silly buggers. Think 5 players made it in the Sin Bin. Skaane Crusaders the better team eventually and probably a mixture of experience in the 6,7 and 9 and having better discipline won them it. The game was a lot closer than the score suggests and it was 16-18 to Crusaders at around the 60 minute mark. Copenhagen tried but frustration and poor discipline was the key to their destruction. Hopefully the other Swedish team can sort themselves out and Jutland continue the fine progress made. Less than 2 years ago this was something our game could never think of so maybe we are being a bit harsh on them. Thanks also to the Black Swan Bar and The Dubliner for supporting Copenhagen yesterday.

Awful game to Ref to be honest, as players more wanting to squabble and play silly buggers. Think 5 players made it in the Sin Bin. Skaane Crusaders the better team eventually and probably a mixture of experience in the 6,7 and 9 and having better discipline won them it. The game was a lot closer than the score suggests and it was 16-18 to Crusaders at around the 60 minute mark. Copenhagen tried but frustration and poor discipline was the key to their destruction. Hopefully the other Swedish team can sort themselves out and Jutland continue the fine progress made. Less than 2 years ago this was something our game could never think of so maybe we are being a bit harsh on them. Thanks also to the Black Swan Bar and The Dubliner for supporting Copenhagen yesterday.

Remember the mantra; Penalty, Penalty, Warning, Bin.

If they wont work with you, take early and decisive action, it soon cleans things up.

The odd things is that both teams really like each other and have huge respect for Mr Lizard.

We are working on a new fixture, funnily enough, for junior (as in level rather than youth) rugby league.

Remember the mantra; Penalty, Penalty, Warning, Bin.

If they wont work with you, take early and decisive action, it soon cleans things up.

Yep and thats why 5 ended up in the sin bin. :-) Its just frustrating when good players would rather play silly buggers than play Rugby League and spoils the enjoyment for me at times. Still very happy we saw no punching and no red cards as I have heard in previous games that took place between the two.

The small things that signify progress.

Today, we have sixty school kids being introduced to rugby league.  Eight school are already playing in Jutland, but this school will be the first in Copenhagen.

Also, the RLEF have organised a governance seminar hosted by the Welsh RFL and representatives from Denmark (Richard Naylor of DRLF, Viiga Lima of Jylland RLFC) will be attending along with delegates from Germany. 

There is a feature on Jesper Ika, who has moved from Copenhagen RLFC to join Leigh East in the latest edition of Forty-20 magazine.

Bob8: What are the latest news regarding fixtures, domestic and international? I understand that in the Pan Scandinavian League Kungsbacka and Skåne have played each other twice now.

Edited by Swesaint

I cannot remember, I know the dates were about to be announced, but I would have to catch up with the lads at Copenhagen RLFC and confirm whether they are ready for an offical announcement.

The main things on my mind at the moment are preparation for match officials course, the Jutland Copenhagen game in a week and a half and then the Norway game, which has been moved from Kristainsand to Oslo.

Cheers!

The West East clash took place on Saturday, with a win for Copenhagen over Jylland, 26-14.

That result may not surprise anyone, but what is interesting is that Jutland played the better rugby for much of the game.  It was inexperience that kept their completion rate down and penalty rate up, so they were playing that better rugby in their own third of the field.  

The other noticeable thing, was that it was by far the most disiplined and organised Copenhagen performance yet.  The team was aware that a won could only come by closely sticking to the game plan and they did just that.  

Another congratulations to Craig Swanson, who officiated the game.  Not only was he sharp, but he was able to explain his decisions and discuss them with inexperienced players, while maintaining tight disipline.  The game was played in an excellent spirit.

Is there any chance of Jutland entering the Pan Scandinavian league next season? Failing this (due to logistics I would assume,) what is the plan regarding this team? I remember you once mentioning their development in schools, which sounded brilliant and is surely the best way forward for any club in a new area.

I think we might well see Jutland entering the Pan Scandinavian League at some point, but that will be up to them.  I also suspect that we should not get too attached to the traditional league structure and regular season - we will have to start from scratch and work out what works well for us.  The local derbies for Jutland are likely not to be Copenhagen, but against teams in Norway and Germany, so it would make more sense to play them than to force them to travel to Gothenborg.

We might have more news on the schools rugby league.  As ever, there are always more things in the pipeline that will eventually happen.

Great to hear. I thought playing German and Norweigien sides may be more suitable, but had heard there leagues were in a bit of turmoil. I'm sure the correct decisions will be made by those with the best knowledge to do so.

All the best and I look forward to further updates. From being a Fev fan I recognise how fortunate I am to be surrounded by rugby league culture, therefore hearing about others having the opportunity of experiencing the game is brilliant. I envy how lucky they are.

Great to hear. I thought playing German and Norweigien sides may be more suitable, but had heard there leagues were in a bit of turmoil. I'm sure the correct decisions will be made by those with the best knowledge to do so.

All the best and I look forward to further updates. From being a Fev fan I recognise how fortunate I am to be surrounded by rugby league culture, therefore hearing about others having the opportunity of experiencing the game is brilliant. I envy how lucky they are.

Thanks!

Norwegian rugby league is struggling further North.  However, the clubs on the south coast are still strong and hopefully having more opposition will help.  Germany should be back on trackin th enext few years, there has been a change of leadership and things are looking much better.

On another note have you had any interest in a tour from amateur sides? Would this be useful? I'm sure with the mutual love of ale the Danes share, it would be just as an attractive looking trip as France etc.

Indeed, we would always love to have a team from England over.  

This game was played in Jutland, right? Is there a date set for the game in Copenhagen?

Denmark Rugby League host first-ever technical event

The Danmark Rugby League Forbund has hosted its first Rugby League European Federation activity following the successful conclusion of a match official tutor training seminar.
Part of the joint RLEF-EC Leadership Devolution Project, Wales sent two match official tutors to oversee a course attended by the German and Danish rugby leagues.
Kristina Landsperg DRLF Vice-President said: “We had an inspiring group of people. All of them had a strong vision and passion for the development of rugby league. It was a pleasure to share different views and methods and to gain technical expertise.”
RLEF match official development squad member David Butler oversaw the seminar. “It was a very productive three days with the group,” he commented. “The representatives were introduced to the Level 1 Match Officials course.”
“The new tutors then delivered elements of the course to prospective referees from Denmark and Sweden and had to set some action plans ahead of reconvening in Germany for the second phase of the programme.”
DRLF match official tutor trainee, Allan Llobel, praised the course. “I got a great view on what an official goes through in a game and at the same time how fit you need to be – it really took my understanding of the game to another level.”
Rugby League Deutschland, which is in the process of re-structuring, sent Bob Doughton to the course. “It was also a wonderful opportunity to strengthen ties within our cluster and to learn more about our colleagues’ activities in Wales and Denmark,” he noted.
Ian Curzon, chairman of Wales RL match officials added: “It was an absolute pleasure to be able to pass on my experience to people who are passionate about the game and want to expand it across Europe. They have reached a new level of confidence and knowledge which will allow them to take the next step and deliver courses in their own areas of responsibility.”
The participants were: David Butler (RLEF), Allan Llobel (DRLF), Bob Doughton (RLD), Ian Curzon and Steve Allen (WRL).

It was a great event.  I was asked on another forum what countries like Denmark need most apart from money, in Denmark we need technical expertise more than money.  We have no spare cash (or even enough), but coaching and officiating expertise is where we really have a shortage.  It is probably the thing that retards the development of the game more than anything else.

There is rarely a shortage of suggestions of things that the RLEF can do.  In the circumstances, they are doing the right things;

- Ensure good governance and offer guidance

- Send match balls

- Provide technical expertise

- Provide forums for different national bodies to meet face to face.

Increasingly, they the RLEF are very sensible to the difference circumstances of the game in different countries.  However, this sort of Europe wide initiative is exactly where a top-down approach is vital

Shame couldnt make it as was running a introduction to RL for 11 people. Heard only good things from both the course and the people taking it who were happy to take feedback so they can improve things. I will go to Latvia in October and am really looking forward to it as I can only learn and understand things better by going on such courses. 

Edited by Lounge Room Lizard