Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

flyingking

McNamara- I don't care what the fans think

372 posts in this topic

The man's an idiot.

I wonder what his line will be when the Exiles win this year?

I have to say that McBanana comes across as a bit arrogant and mule-headed in that interview.  George Riley did a good job!

so he's alienating the fans as well as being a plank...............

Why should he listen to the fans? isn't there a good quote that goes along the lines of 'if you start listening to the fans you'll soon be sitting with them'.

Also strange you pick up and the quote about the fans and don't mention this.

"You will have to clarify that with Danny" he said. "You'll need to ask him what his plans are, but I only want players who are 100% committed to what we are doing."

and

"It seems he's not convinced what he wants to do but good luck to him on whatever he decides."

So I dont reckon its as one sided as its being made out to be by people nit in the know on here.

so he's alienating the fans as well as being a plank...............

your alienating yourself, I don't think any head coach would listen to the fans.

He could win the World Cup without England conceding a try and he'd still be subjected to never-ending vitriol from RL fans.

I'm not his greatest fan but I still find some of the hatred disproportionate and unjustified. That doesn't mean I agree with every selection - indeed, there are some that I find utterly perplexing. But I get the impression that some of the bile spat in his direction is UK rugby league fans suddenly discovering that we do lack depth in a few positions (esp. centre) and blaming McNamara (or McBanana, LOLZ) for that.

your alienating yourself, I don't think any head coach would listen to the fans.

The discussion comes across though as McBanana saying he couldn't give a plop what the fans think, which is probably not such good PR when he wants them to turn up for the matches!  We could all just say 'stuff you then' and not bother.

What a buffoon - I still cant understand how he got the job in the first place.

I like the bit about selecting on "long term form" in other words, some of the players selected arent playing well enough, but they have done in the past. Pathetic.

Taxi for McNarmara after another failure in the world cup.

Why should he listen to the fans? isn't there a good quote that goes along the lines of 'if you start listening to the fans you'll soon be sitting with them'.

Also strange you pick up and the quote about the fans and don't mention this.

"You will have to clarify that with Danny" he said. "You'll need to ask him what his plans are, but I only want players who are 100% committed to what we are doing."

and

"It seems he's not convinced what he wants to do but good luck to him on whatever he decides."

So I dont reckon its as one sided as its being made out to be by people nit in the know on here.

It's not about who is winning an argument, it's about finding a place for probably the most talented English player in SL right now. I'm sure Rooney has many temperamental moments, you don't drop him though in favour of a lesser player, you find a way to work it.

Of all the Widnes games I've been this year only one has been utterly dominated by a single player as when Brough came to town.

I think most of the vitriol towards Mcnamara is not warrented (yet).  Wait and see what happens at the end of the year first.

My own opinion is that he should have been wooing the chuff out of Brough, who is (IMHO) by far the best half playing in England (and qualified) at the moment.

While Chase does have flashes of brilliance, he would not get in my team over Brough.

It's not about who is winning an argument, it's about finding a place for probably the most talented English player in SL right now. I'm sure Rooney has many temperamental moments, you don't drop him though in favour of a lesser player, you find a way to work it.

Of all the Widnes games I've been this year only one has been utterly dominated by a single player as when Brough came to town.

But it sounds like Brough didn't want to be in the squad, why should the coach find room for a player with such little commitment?

I wouldn't expect any coach to think of the fans' opinion when it comes to selecting a team. Ever.

But every time I see him interviewed or hear him speak I come back to the same conclusion - Steve McNamara talks better than he coaches.

But it sounds like Brough didn't want to be in the squad, why should the coach find room for a player with such little commitment?

Except you have only heard what McBanana has said.  Brough said he didn't want to play second fiddle anymore and according to the guys on Back Chat last night, has also expressed to friends that he feels wanted by Scotland but not by England.  Frankly, faced with the kind of stubborn resistence shown by McBanana in that interview I can well believe that if his face didn't fit (as clearly it didn't) then he would feel unwanted. 

McBanana might have a clear idea what he wants in terms of everyone buying into his plan, but in sticking with that attitude regardless he is risking England's chances.  Proper scrum halves are not easy characters.  They rock the boat, don't fit in, have attitude, whatever.  If a coach is unable or unwilling to manage that, particularly when a player is both gifted AND on persistent good form, then really are they fit to be a coach?

Of course he did, he's going to play for a country with no hope of winning the thing.

He didn't want to play second fiddle, which considering his ability and form is understandable.

Of course he did, he's going to play for a country with no hope of winning the thing.

He didn't want to play second fiddle, which considering his ability and form is understandable.

No it isn't understandable, a player who says 'I want to be first choice or I don't want to be in the squad at all' is not the type of team player I would want in a squad.

I wouldn't expect any coach to think of the fans' opinion when it comes to selecting a team. Ever.

But every time I see him interviewed or hear him speak I come back to the same conclusion - Steve McNamara talks better than he coaches.

I completely agree with this, I'm not bothered that he's not listening to the fans. As a fan though it comes down to confidence, if this was Michael Maguire, Wayne Bennett or even Brian Noble making these decisions I might have some faith.

Except you have only heard what McBanana has said.  Brough said he didn't want to play second fiddle anymore and according to the guys on Back Chat last night, has also expressed to friends that he feels wanted by Scotland but not by England.  Frankly, faced with the kind of stubborn resistence shown by McBanana in that interview I can well believe that if his face didn't fit (as clearly it didn't) then he would feel unwanted. 

So we haven't only heard what McNamara has said, Brough has said he doesn't want to play second fiddle, so its either first choice half back or not all for him, that sounds like a dummy spit to me, and the England set up is probably better off without players with that attitude.

No it isn't understandable, a player who says 'I want to be first choice or I don't want to be in the squad at all' is not the type of team player I would want in a squad.

You'd probably be kicking a fair few out.

Would you say that if you were Argentina coach and Messi said it?

Proper scrum halves are not easy characters.  They rock the boat, don't fit in, have attitude, whatever.

Says who? did cooper cronk have this attitude when he was 'second' fiddle for the Queensland and Australia half back spot?

now now kevin behave yourself.......

You'd probably be kicking a fair few out.

Would you say that if you were Argentina coach and Messi said it?

I dont know much about soccer but I believe Messi is considered one of the greatest ever players to that code of Football, are we now comparing Brough to Messi.

Soccer is also full of pre madonnas nobody would have a side if they didn't pick players with bad attitudes.

Says who? did cooper cronk have this attitude when he was 'second' fiddle for the Queensland and Australia half back spot?

Know him well do you?

And in any case, good as Cronk currently is, he wasn't the best halfback in his country at the time was he?

Now he is, he's got the job

See the difference there?

Incumbent player is best. No issues

Incumbent player is fourth rate. Issues.

Macnamara shouldn't care what the fans think. He should care about naming his best squad and preparing them as best he can to do as well as they can in the World cup.  

The fact that he has come out with this guff actually shows that he does care what the fans think, as he's reacted to the furore around his named squad on places like here, other websites and in the wider media surrounding Danny Brough etc.

Cooper Cronk was second fiddle to a better player. Brough is second fiddle to a much worse player.