Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hindle xiii

Elliott Whitehead; transfer request bombshell

111 posts in this topic

Briscoe at Hull has turned a contract down but he's been playing every week, apart from Saturday that is he's got a knock, the fans no he is going and so does the club but they are just getting on with it.So what's different with the situation between Bradford and Whitehead that they have frozen him out

Are you serious? You can't see the difference?

Are you serious? You can't see the difference?

I was asking a question trying to understand the difference in the situation, yes it was a serious question, I like others want to know why Bradford and Whitehead have got to this state of play.There obviously a difference because Briscoes still playing for us.

I was asking a question trying to understand the difference in the situation, yes it was a serious question, I like others want to know why Bradford and Whitehead have got to this state of play.There obviously a difference because Briscoes still playing for us.

is it not because Whitehead now wants to get out of his long-term (recently signed) contract, whereas Briscoe is looking to move at the end of his contract.

Not a fan at all and would hate to see him at Leeds. His defence is abysmal and he struggles to win in contact. He is very quick but I have never seen anything from him that has justified the hype. He is a long way behind Bateman and Addy in the back row stakes and Olbison looks to be a stronger ball runner. Im quite shocked that I have seen people say things like he is a"quality" player on here TBF.

Not a fan at all and would hate to see him at Leeds. His defence is abysmal and he struggles to win in contact. He is very quick but I have never seen anything from him that has justified the hype. He is a long way behind Bateman and Addy in the back row stakes and Olbison looks to be a stronger ball runner. Im quite shocked that I have seen people say things like he is a"quality" player on here TBF.

I think your management team will think differently. He is just what they want to beef up your pack. And over the next two seasons they'll need three more of the same calibre to replace Kylie, JJB, Sinfield and Peacock. Add to those, McGuire and Burrow, and it's obvious that now's the time to start a rolling replacement programme.

Obviously we support enemy teams and we don't watch each other's teams every week; however, from what I have seen this season, I think Elliott's currently a better player than JJB.

Actually, I see Bradford pretty much every week. I have never rated Whitehead and feel that if he had come through maybe the Salford system, he wouldn't have been in SL now. You can't miss as many tackles as he does and play for a top team, week in, week out. I have no agenda against The Bulls either. I have a massive soft spot for them because of how much I get to see them play. I would take Addy or Bateman in a heartbeat.

Whitehead would be a step in the wrong direction for Leeds, especially with the backrowers we have in the squad at the moment. We have Ablett, Delaney (who will hopefully stay around for a while and is only 26 I think), Clarkson and Achurch who will get better and has the potential to be very good. Behind them we have Sutcliffe and Ward. One will be a half back, one will be a loose. Whitehead just brings sloppy defence and isnt the biggest forward in the world.

On JJB, he isnt the player he used to be 2 years ago. How he got in the England squad I don't know. He does give 110% every minute he is on the pitch though but his goal line defence is shocking and he has cost us 2 very important tries in the last 2 games at vital times.

I'm sure there's more to Bradford than just two players?

How long can you watch something you love being ripped to shreds? Whitehead and Bateman are at the absolute heart of what's left.

Camels and straws.

How long can you watch something you love being ripped to shreds? Whitehead and Bateman are at the absolute heart of what's left.

Camels and straws.

I know exactly how you feel after watching Salford's team dismantled last year

Sounds to me like he's been unsettled by an offer from elsewhere.

Or his agent has...

Or his agent has...

Yes but he HAS to bite, and I suspect that he has.

Given that he's just signed an extended deal, I'd say that this narrows down the clubs that could be considered as the suspects.

Given that he's just signed an extended deal, I'd say that this narrows down the clubs that could be considered as the suspects.

Maybe certain aspects of that deal haven't been honoured.

I'm absolutley shattered by this news. If Bateman follows then that might just be me at the exit too...

This made @RLMeltdown

Congrats, I think. :unsure:

Maybe certain aspects of that deal haven't been honoured.

Dunno about that but there must be something which has casued both his big loss of form and the request. I can't seriously think the club would do anything to upset a much lauded, local player who has been used in a great deal of the club literature and promotions, both before and since he siged the long term deal. that's not to say it's impossible, of course but my money [if I were a betting man] would be on him being tapped up.

Dunno about that but there must be something which has casued both his big loss of form and the request. I can't seriously think the club would do anything to upset a much lauded, local player who has been used in a great deal of the club literature and promotions, both before and since he siged the long term deal. that's not to say it's impossible, of course but my money [if I were a betting man] would be on him being tapped up.

There is also the fact that last year there was an awful lot of emotion around the club, it was a strange environment and people may have made decisions based on all sorts of loyalty, emotion etc and not necessarily with a clear head.

Maybe the reality is hitting home for players like this that Bradford may struggle to really break back into the top teams and challenge for honours in the next few years. Maybe he has seen who they are signing, and maybe now the dust has settled, the reality is that he is playing for a mid-table team in a huge stadium in front of around 8k per week.

Of course if the above is the case, I think it is out of order and it is up to the likes of him to move the club forwards.

Or maybe, he just doesn't feel he is developing under a coach who is still learning his trade.

There is also the fact that last year there was an awful lot of emotion around the club, it was a strange environment and people may have made decisions based on all sorts of loyalty, emotion etc and not necessarily with a clear head.

Maybe the reality is hitting home for players like this that Bradford may struggle to really break back into the top teams and challenge for honours in the next few years. Maybe he has seen who they are signing, and maybe now the dust has settled, the reality is that he is playing for a mid-table team in a huge stadium in front of around 8k per week.

Of course if the above is the case, I think it is out of order and it is up to the likes of him to move the club forwards.

Or maybe, he just doesn't feel he is developing under a coach who is still learning his trade

I agree with a lot of your post Dave but its a short career and if whitehead needs to put himself first and his family before the needs of the Bulls can anyone really blame him.As I said before that's how it works, Carvell did exactly the same to us agreed a contract and then signed for you, I bet you were over the moon and couldn't give two hoots how it affected us. (this is not a dig at you by the way dave  ;) ).

This made @RLMeltdown

Congrats, I think. :unsure:

I normally quite like Meltdown, but this comment seemed to be taken out of context, which set me thinking how many others might be.

I agree with a lot of your post Dave but its a short career and if whitehead needs to put himself first and his family before the needs of the Bulls can anyone really blame him.As I said before that's how it works, Carvell did exactly the same to us agreed a contract and then signed for you, I bet you were over the moon and couldn't give two hoots how it affected us. (this is not a dig at you by the way dave  ;) ).

I'm not a big fan of people signing long term contracts one minute and then wanting to move on the next when it would appear little has changed. Fair enough if a new manager comes in, or there is drastic change, but Carvell's and now Whitehead's hardly show them in good light.

I followed RLMeltdown for a while, but it's singularly the most predictable, depressing, unimaginative and boring RL related account on twitter, aside from Richard Mathers'.  

I normally quite like Meltdown, but this comment seemed to be taken out of context, which set me thinking how many others might be.

Why do you think it was taken out of context? It read quite simply to me, that a fan stated that he may stop supporting a club if they sell these two players.

Why do you think it was taken out of context? It read quite simply to me, that a fan stated that he may stop supporting a club if they sell these two players.

A small but very important point Dave - I didn't say sell. If the club has to sell a player to survive then so be it. That doesn't seem to be the case here. This is a cornerstone of the spirit of the club on the field deciding to walk away.

A small but very important point Dave - I didn't say sell. If the club has to sell a player to survive then so be it. That doesn't seem to be the case here. This is a cornerstone of the spirit of the club on the field deciding to walk away.

But ultimately these are just individual players, they may have a whole host of reasons for wanting to leave, I'm still not sure why these leaving would be so key. I've seen in at Warrington many times, I was upset when Sculthorpe and Harris wanted out at Warrington all those years back - it never made me question my support of the club.

Or maybe, he just doesn't feel he is developing under a coach who is still learning his trade.

Well, it's a fair point Dave and as good as anyone else has come up with.

To be honest, I very much agree with the view that westhuller has put forward about players in a short career which they need to maximise and, when things are done properly, I have no problem with players leaving. To the best of my knowledge Elliott has done it by the book, exactly as it has to be done, so I've no real crib with him, other than just the basic puzzlement about why, especially after so recently signing in the first place. To which you can add, as mentioned previously, his form doesn't really suggest that any top four club would need to be having a bidding war to secure his services right now. I wouldn't be shocked to find his agent makes more when a player moves clubs than he does when they re-sign for their current club.....