Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ckn

Fancy a pint with a politician?

20 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you take a pint from and enjoy talking with while drinking it?

• David Cameron
    • Ed Miliband
    • Nick Clegg
    • Nigel Farage
    • Nick Griffin
    • George Osborne
    • Ed Balls
    • Vince Cable
    • Alex Salmond
    • Leanne Wood (Plaid Cmryu leader)
    • Theresa May
    • William Hague
    • Ken Clarke
    • Harriet Harman
    • Michael Gove
    • Iain Duncan Smith
    • Douglas Alexander
    • Yvette Cooper
    • Danny Alexander
    • Another MP, MSP, MEP, AM (Welsh Assembly) or MLA (N Ireland) - see my comment

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

43 posts in this topic

I agree with what you are saying (I worked directly to Brig Aldridge in the Falklands - mega bloke!). My point though was some supposedly working class leaders I have come across in my life so far are even further up their own backsides than some of the Eton/Harrow types you encounter in life. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of upper class personalties like that too but sometimes power corrupts all.

I personally don't care if our leaders are from Eton School or Cansfield High School (Ashton-in-Makerfield). It is what they do in office, which counts and having been an avid reader of these political threads, it looks like nobody is happy with any levels of our political class. Wouldn't it be refreshing if people in power spoke truthfully rather than through spin?! I had this discussion at breakfast this morning. We all agreed no politician would last five mins if they were truthful!

Going back to your list, if I was to choose one, I'd go with William Hague. I'd actually love to buy a house just north of Richmond if I could ever save up a large enough deposit plus I'd love to quiz him about British Foreign Policy etc.

Absolutely spot on. Wouldn't it be great to have politicians who said what they thought and were allowed to go 'off script' without fear of getting a telling off for not toeing the party line.

I met McGuinness once, briefly, he was very, very polite and very careful with his choice of words.

Was the politeness related to the rifle you had tucked under your arm, or was it in more cordial times?

Have had many a pint and other assorted beverages with many politicians. Surprisingly, they're just like 'normal' people!

Was the politeness related to the rifle you had tucked under your arm, or was it in more cordial times?

He didn't speak to me at all but to the RUC lot that were with us, he was very politely asking on behalf of the local people when some roadblocks were going to be lifted.  It was a very tense game played by the officials on both sides as this was when we were just starting to get towards a political settlement, neither side wanted to aggravate the other too much despite some pretty large and obvious tensions.

I don't get violent when I've had a drink, but I would imagine that one or two on that list may change that if I was boozing in their company and they attempted to explain themselves.

I've voted for Ken Clarke so that I can have a go at him for his utter tosh of a  reply to a letter of complaint.

I had a fair few pints with ed balls a couple of years back: good company

Dennis skinner would be good I like his wit

Richmond, (N Yorks) is a dislocated part of the Home Counties, can't really be called proper Yorkshire ;)

I think I'd prefer north of the A66. At least then I'd definitely not be in Yorkshire and my old man wouldn't disown me! :)

Perhaps your opinions of those from the upper class have been tainted by your experience in the armed forces. I would guess, although based on no experience to speak of, that military training in addition to recruiting the best from that subset of society means that armed forces officers are a pretty decent bunch.

Maybe. There are still plenty of idiots from upper class backgrounds in the Army for certain. However, I also play cricket for the MCC, which has many upper class members and studied at Newcastle University. There have been many more decent people from those backgrounds than absolute *****. Just my experience of course and I have no doubt others have had very differing experiences. 

Absolutely spot on. Wouldn't it be great to have politicians who said what they thought and were allowed to go 'off script' without fear of getting a telling off for not toeing the party line.

Imagining a politican actually asking his constituents their thoughts before a major Parliament vote and promising to vote as they wished! Never happen of course...

Imagining a politican actually asking his constituents their thoughts before a major Parliament vote and promising to vote as they wished! Never happen of course...

Isn't that a more granular version of what happens though?  MPs promise the earth before a General Election then typically don't bother with their promises.  A perfect example was Nick Clegg and the Lib Dems actively campaigning in large student towns with a firm, no exceptions promise to not implement tuition fees if they got in power, it was one of their headline policies that gathered them a good number of votes.  Within days of getting into the Coalition, the policy was conveniently forgotten and they actively voted for tuition fees despite the coalition agreement giving them a right to abstain.

And nor should it. 

It's right that MPs should have close links with their constituents and take their views into account.  But the vote in Parliament belongs to the MP and should reflect his or her thoughts, it is not a proxy for what the constituents want.   MPs are representatives, not delegates.

If you don't like the way your MP thinks or acts, then campaign and vote for someone else. 

Looking at that list it just shows what an insipid, uninspiring bunch of politicians we have these days.

I can't imagine anyone worse to sit down with a drink with than Farage. I've had my fill of tedious xenophones whose 'common sense' views get more whacked as the booze flows through them. And I doubt he'd pay his share anyway.

Of the rest ... erm ... no, although obviously I'd buy the eponymous gent a pint on Ed Balls Day.

Was that child John Redwood?

John Redwood was never a child.

just letting you know that Yvette Cooper hasn't phoned me yet.