Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

joe elliot

Bring back the biff

95 posts in this topic

It's my belief that this could see the biggest improvement in attendances, column inches and standards.

It's my belief that smaller balls could produce more tries, better defence and more beautiful female supporters.

I say bring back Black & White.

Sky should broadcast all our games in black & white only, you look at all those matches that are in black and white and the grounds are packed.

Black & White, its the future.

I think we should start a petition.

It's my belief that smaller balls could produce more tries, better defence and more beautiful female supporters.

How big are your balls and is your lass a looker?

Sky should broadcast all our games in black & white only, you look at all those matches that are in black and white and the grounds are packed.

Black and White is the future , I like the sound of that.

A general strike would be better than a petition. Far more tradition in a strike

So I take it nobody agrees?

Standards was the wrong phrase, intensity was the word I was after.

Personally I would like to see a bit more biff at top level. RL was always supposed to be the toughest team sport, but it has become a tad too sanitised at top level. Fans like watching it on the whole. If the SOO can be relaxed why cant the whole game? Adrian Morley would never have been sent off in an origin game for foul in the test back in 2003. Whatever happened to the old softening up period?

The minority are very loud in there disgust that a punch should be thrown, they use words like thuggery and violence. These people have never played and can't see the wood for the frees with their argument that it puts people off watching.

It does the opposite, it gets more people watching.

As my old dad used to say, " throw the ball away and get on with the game!" But then, he was born in 1912. 

Of course, if players had rickets, striking at play the ball would be interesting. 

However, Super League is a mans game, not a thugs game. Save that for the Championship.

However, Super League is a mans game, not a thugs game. Save that for the Championship.

Troll.

Danny Brough lickspittle!  :onthequiet:

So is state of origin old hat and not current

Dee dar!!!! Pfft!

The minority are very loud in there disgust that a punch should be thrown, they use words like thuggery and violence. These people have never played and can't see the wood for the frees with their argument that it puts people off watching.

It does the opposite, it gets more people watching.

I've played the game, lots.  The game is tough enough without unprovoked punching.  

Interestingly there seems ti be a fair bit of uproar at Gallen's actions in Origin, and the fact that he wasnt punished for the punches.

I think a lot of this thinking comes about because we take the physicality of RL for granted. We just accept it and some people claim its 'gone soft' but if you get someone watching a game for the first time, they can't believe how rough it is - even with no punches thrown.

If you saw Hannsons' tackle tonight in the Wigan Widnes game you we realise why there is no need for the biff. You can have spectacular and clean brutality.

It's my belief that this could see the biggest improvement in attendances, column inches and standards.

How would you go about bringing back this 'biff' that you speak of?

Should the referee ignore thuggery?

How would you go about bringing back this 'biff' that you speak of?

Should the referee ignore thuggery?

No i don't think he means ignore it. I think he means encourage it.

Penalty against you my laddy. you didn't hit him hard or high enough.

Fact is though, most people do enjoy a good punch up. Not thuggery but blokes squaring up in a fair fight....nothing wrong with it occasionally