Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ckn

ICC Champions Trophy cricket

32 posts in this topic

England aren't very good at this one day cricket thing are they?

The Pakistan v WI game yesterday was a very good game dominated by the bowlers and very few of the large slogging hits that seem to be what the organisers want.

A good job that Australia aren't any better!

It's a funny thing about cricket isn't it? You've got to see both teams have a bat before you can see how it's going. I thought our innings stalled pretty badly and we'd be short of runs. A bit of turn and batting's not so easy now.

We still shouldn't be wearing that red kit.

It would be quite typical of England to win a tournament that never gets played again and everyone forgets.

Even more typical to be runners up in it.

What appeared to be strange tactics from England actually worked.

Perhaps they don't fancy themselves with the bat and so maximise what they have by ensuring they make a reasonable score without giving too many chances and maybe have a swing in the last 10 overs.  Then follow this up with aggressive, accurate bowling and fielding to put the opponents under pressure from ball 1.

Whether this will work against sides better than "possibly the poorest 1 day Australia side ever" remains to be seen.  I think India would have taken them to the cleaners.

We shall see.

What appeared to be strange tactics from England actually worked.

Perhaps they don't fancy themselves with the bat and so maximise what they have by ensuring they make a reasonable score without giving too many chances and maybe have a swing in the last 10 overs.  Then follow this up with aggressive, accurate bowling and fielding to put the opponents under pressure from ball 1.

Not that strange at all really. I think with the new rules, this'll be the blueprint for target setting in the 50 over game. Get to 30/35 overs with a max of two wickets down, then treat it like a 20/20 thrash to set a target.

Another cracking game today. NZ v Sri Lanka. Very low scoring game but very high tension.

Loved Beefy today. He reckoned we'd whitewash Australia in both forthcoming Ashes.

If we ever become a republic, I want Beefy as our first President.

Professional sportsmen in a bar at 2am during an international tournament? That's great...

Professional sportsmen in a bar at 2am during an international tournament? That's great...

It's not a proper tournament it's the Champions Trophy.

On the night after the game? Who'd've thought it?

Is Joe Root old enough ?  :tongue:

It's always amusing seeing Australia look distinctly ordinary at any sport...

Surely McKay grunting like that at every delivery is against the spirit of the game.  He's grunting almost as much as a female tennis pro.

It's always amusing seeing Australia look distinctly ordinary at any sport...

Although, I see they've won at 'phrases to describe mediocrity'!

28 off the last over from Sri Lanka by Ravi Bopara. Pretty damn good. He finished with 33 from 13 balls.

An exciting finish in order at The Oval...... A test of Cook's captaincy, as well as an examination of England's one day credentials.

An exciting finish in order at The Oval...... A test of Cook's captaincy, as well as an examination of England's one day credentials.

A tame finish sadly.

Surprised there's no discussion of England's win over NZ yesterday in the shortened game/Cardiff rain. Excellent bowling performance with the new ball - Jimmy Anderson was almost unplayable at times - and Bopara got through five very economic overs. Bresnan a bit expensive/all over the place at times.

Much more positivity from the openers/top three - Cook's knock was excellent, and Bell and Trott also showed some urgency. Pity the middle/lower order failed.

Looking like the Saffers at the Oval on Wednesday, unless Sir Lanka thrash the Aussies and sort out their net run rate.

I'm having difficulty getting enthused by this tournament for some reason. However, as regards England, I think their sometimes too cautious batting will be what stops them winning the trophy.

I'm having difficulty getting enthused by this tournament for some reason. However, as regards England, I think their sometimes too cautious batting will be what stops them winning the trophy.

The problem is, they've been leaving the middle/lower order a lot to do to accelerate enough to get more than a par score. If Morgan, Buttler and Bopara fail (and the latter has chipped in well in a couple of games, the other two less so), then we're jiggered.

What would be handy is if England won the toss and bowled first - then at least if they have to go hammer and tongs to chase a big score, Cook, Trott and Bell will have to get on with it pronto. We seem to struggle knowing what a good score is - i.e Giles decides it's X and we bat to that, rather than having that as an absolute minimum.

As for the tournament, I've been enjoying it - it's much more compact and close-fought than the World Cup, and there have been some decent matches. Mind you, I work from home, so can keep half an eye on the Sky coverage while working ;)

What would be handy is if England won the toss and bowled first - then at least if they have to go hammer and tongs to chase a big score

Your wish is granted.