Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

amm

Leigh East

56 posts in this topic

I don't know what mr chairman is trying to achieve by trying to drag Leigh miners into this, why would miners want Leigh east to fold? Or his he just trying to make Leigh Miners look like the bad guys when really they are nothing to do with the situation and im sure are all backing their neighbours and hope they get justice after being well and truly shafted over the last few years.

The town needs two amateur rugby league clubs doing well in the NCL Premier because this year I don't think their as been the same buzz around town between the two clubs. And what would Miners gain a few players here and there at different ages, they wouldn't get them all because some lads don't want to play for Leigh miners like some lads don't want to play for Leigh east.

If any of the idiots from Wigan council (NOT LEIGH MINERS) think that the town of Leigh would be better with one amatuer rugby league club they seriously need the heads seeing to! Ask any player from either club which game they most look forward to and the answer will always be East v Miners Street of origin, hopefully all the problems that Leigh east are having at the moment will get sorted and the great rivalry will continue for many years to come.

I don't know what mr chairman is trying to achieve by trying to drag Leigh miners into this, why would miners want Leigh east to fold? Or his he just trying to make Leigh Miners look like the bad guys when really they are nothing to do with the situation and im sure are all backing their neighbours and hope they get justice after being well and truly shafted over the last few years.

The town needs two amateur rugby league clubs doing well in the NCL Premier because this year I don't think their as been the same buzz around town between the two clubs. And what would Miners gain a few players here and there at different ages, they wouldn't get them all because some lads don't want to play for Leigh miners like some lads don't want to play for Leigh east.

If any of the idiots from Wigan council (NOT LEIGH MINERS) think that the town of Leigh would be better with one amatuer rugby league club they seriously need the heads seeing to! Ask any player from either club which game they most look forward to and the answer will always be East v Miners Street of origin, hopefully all the problems that Leigh east are having at the moment will get sorted and the great rivalry will continue for many years to come.

totally agree with u, its absolutely nothing to do with miners, theres alot of good people at miners and just because lord peter smith is loosly linked to miners doesnt mean its anything to do with miner's and we at east should be thankful for the support miners are giving towards east and not fetching their name into it

Leigh East needs the support from anyone and everyone ,

I've had a few calls today from ex players who are saying they wouldn't be where they are today if it hadn't been for Leigh East, and pledging support.

That's the kind of club we are and so are Leigh Miners, Pats, Jude's, Ince ,,,,,, its great to see the amount of support we are getting :clapping:  :danced: THANKYOU.

I wonder how much unpaid council tax is owed to Wigan MBC, and is this an easy option to recuperate finances.

My council are owed over £9million for 2011/12 and we're feeling the cuts

Wigan Met's answer to a freedom of information request:-

Q. What was the total of unpaid Council Tax in 2012?

A. £51,272,800.12

Q. How much of the unpaid Council Tax was passed to bailiffs for recovery?

A. £3,351,160.29

Q. How much money did bailiffs manage to recover?

A. £155,669.10

Some mind boggling figures there, if you take a polulation of about 300,000 it is £170 per head uncollected.

Has anyone in Wigan actually paid council tax!

On a more serious note now isnt the time for clubs to be bagging each other, the amateur game should unite around Leigh East, cant the NCL offer any assistance to protect a member club?

Yes Trevor hunt as rang me and he as done a piece in the Wigan paper . He is contacting david gent to see what they can do , so well done the ncl

I have also Contacted the Rugby League ,  and been given a couple of names of people who should be contacting us, to offer support !!!!!

I have also Contacted the Rugby League ,  and been given a couple of names of people who should be contacting us, to offer support !!!!!

Leigh East response to Wigan Council’s Response

We make this statement in response to the Council response, posted on their website.

1. The Council have implied that they have made attempts to negotiate with us, but to no avail. We have tried throughout our occupation to come to an agreement with the Council and have made numerous concessions. We have had many meetings with Council Officers, LSV executives and Andy Burnham and have never refused to attend any of these meetings. Just over two years ago, following meetings between Andy Burnham, our solicitor Karen Baker and the Borough Solicitor, Kevin Lawson, proposals were put forward by us that involved our increasing the amount we would pay by way of maintenance costs to the building. The Council never accepted these proposals.

2. The only meetings we have cancelled have been meetings with the LSV to discuss the handover of the bar, as we see little point in discussing operational issues concerning the take over of the bar, when we do not see how we can operate without one. We have however arranged to meet with LSV personnel next week, so that we discuss the position with them generally and make them aware of operational difficulties which will inevitably come to light, should Wigan Council persist with the bar and function room takeover.

3. Whilst re-stating their position regarding government cuts, the Council have not offered us any reassurance as to how we can afford to continue without the bar and function room. The reality is that the bar and function room pays for the training costs and should we lose that income that money can only be met by rugby subscriptions. The training costs last year were £21,500. Those costs will need to be met from subs. Should we lose the pitch hire subsidy in 3 years time, we will have to find another £21,000. This will need to be met from subs. We have calculated that every additional £6000 that needs to be raised by us will result in a £1 increase in subscription levels. When viewed that way, the problem becomes immediately apparent. The Council will not debate this issue and state that any shortfalls that we will suffer are for the club to address.

4. Finally, we re-iterate that we have made proposals to pay significant sums toward the running costs of the building. These have been rejected out of hand and no counter–proposals have been put forward by the Council.

Not that clever are they

I have just read the twitter reply from WMBC in which they state that it is the Councils intention to put Leigh Sporting Village PLC in charge of operating the bar in the club.

This statement has clearly been made by persons who have no idea of how the Licensing regulations work.

Leigh East Social Club operates under a Club Premises certificate ( formally a Registration Certificate ). This is not a Licence and the premises are not Licenced Premises. It is therefore not possible for WMBC or anybody else for that matter to take over the bar as it stands. In order to do this the Council will have to apply for a Licence in order to sell alcohol from these premises. Leigh East do not sell alcohol they supply it to their members and guests under the provision of a Registration Certificate. You need a licence to sell alcohol and Leigh East do not have one.

In order to obtain a licence public notices have to be given, ie local press, and other legal proccedures followed. This is to allow the public to make objections if they wish. The club would then become a pub in effect if the Councils application was successful. There is a new pub less that 200 yards from the club, a hotel and several licensed bars in the stadium why do we need another licensed premises in this small area.

I can certainly foresee several hundred at the very least lodging objections to this application.

I also see that the Council, in their reply, making reference to the club making substantial annual profits. I also read somewhere amongst the numerous posts on this topic that the Council advised the club that it should be run on a commercial basis. A registered club cannot be run on a commercial basis as this is one of the qualifications needed for registration. All the club proceeds belong to the members of the club, to be used for the benefit of the members and it is for the membership to decide how this is done but it is not to be done for commercial purposes. The way the proceeds are used is of no concern to WMBC or anybody else.

Leigh Sporting Village Plc could not obtain a Registration certificate to run this bar and they could not use the certificate of Leigh Easts. As I said they would have to obtain a licence.

This decision has been taken by persons who have no idea idea of the licensing regulatuions in relation to registered clubs. It is not a sensible decision in my opinion and one that could prove costly for the ratepayers of Leigh and Wigan. I can see very few, if any, locals using the bar if the council succeed with his application

Not that clever are they....

.....This decision has been taken by persons who have no idea idea of the licensing regulatuions in relation to registered clubs. It is not a sensible decision in my opinion and one that could prove costly for the ratepayers of Leigh and Wigan. I can see very few, if any, locals using the bar if the council succeed with his application

Anybody involved with Members club should know this, also the Council regulates the registrations in the borough they are assigned (or they do in my borough anyway)

Anyway, good luck with your fight

Update on meeting with andy Burnham

A very productive meeting with andy , he listened to our side of the story and took all the facts down , andy promised Leigh east that he mediate with Wigan council and get the best deal possible for our club . He understands what the bar means to us and wants us to stay at the Lsv . I feel a lot happier after the meeting , at least someone in power understands us now and is willing to speak for us . Well done andy Burnham

My IQ is slightly higher than 7 I am qualified to Masters Degree level thankyou....

If the case presented by East was honest then I would champion the cause massively - Leigh needs two successful amateur rugby league teams - but present a honest case....you all know that isn't the truth -political point scoring and using the youth set up as a hostage.... 

I hope you succeed in fighting the battle alone - you wont though if you take the stance that you are - a bit like when your transport didn't turn up / broke down at Skirlaugh...... it didn't did it.... look at yourselves before throwing stones at me or the MIGHTY Leigh Miners - a couple of "friendlies" would go a long way to helping you but tell the truth - you never owned your own ground ever.... you were never masters of your own destiny....you were never the most successful amateur league club going and having a go at the council and Andy Burnham MP (one of the most sincere honourable people I have ever met in my life) is not the way forward.....

Grow a pair be honest and we will all pull behind you.... ALL of us....good luck.... don't use kids - it is cheap....

My IQ is slightly higher than 7 I am qualified to Masters Degree level thankyou....

If the case presented by East was honest then I would champion the cause massively - Leigh needs two successful amateur rugby league teams - but present a honest case....you all know that isn't the truth -political point scoring and using the youth set up as a hostage.... 

I hope you succeed in fighting the battle alone - you wont though if you take the stance that you are - a bit like when your transport didn't turn up / broke down at Skirlaugh...... it didn't did it.... look at yourselves before throwing stones at me or the MIGHTY Leigh Miners - a couple of "friendlies" would go a long way to helping you but tell the truth - you never owned your own ground ever.... you were never masters of your own destiny....you were never the most successful amateur league club going and having a go at the council and Andy Burnham MP (one of the most sincere honourable people I have ever met in my life) is not the way forward.....

Grow a pair be honest and we will all pull behind you.... ALL of us....good luck.... don't use kids - it is cheap....

And a good morning to you scrumhalf 7 !!!!!!!

Leigh East do not use kids we are fighting for them.

Everything that has been posted on the forums from East representatives has be honest and truthful, and the sad  thing is such a well educated man like yourself can only see one side to this story.

If anything posted was lies and slanderous then I'm sure their would be legal implications.

We have a lot of Good friends and good support from Leigh Miners and we thank them  , we are fighting for our own identity and to be in control of our destiny .

We have been on the end of 6 years of fighting since moving to the village and we want to see an end to this and an amicable outcome for everybody.

Keith Latham has posted that we had a positive meeting with Andy Burnham last night, and I agree with you he is a gentleman and wants things to be resolved.

I don't really want to grow a pair thanks, but its comments like your post that drives wedges between clubs.

Scrum half seven , you belittle the great name of Leigh miners , I'm shocked at your post . Our under 18s will try today to close the gap in our successes. You do not speak for your club of that I'm sure . And I'm sure taxi egg and Leigh miners 1 will endorse that . Your posts are the only negative ones that we have had in this campaign . Would you care to tell us who you are , if your a player . That's if you have any BALLS

For the the good of the game the squabling should stop and every club get behind east,had some great days ther in the last few years,fantastic set up

Just signed your petition and fully behind your fight for survival

I think it's called banter....

Good luck with it... It is massively important grass roots rugby and youth rugby prosper in Leigh...

Merely wind ups.... That stated, I don't fully understand if a contractual arrangement or lease was in place how the council can act outside the terms within that contract without being in breach of those terms and therefore not having a leg to stand on??

What has allowed the to take the club back over fully? Has there been an initial breach by East if so what was that - that is all I meant..

If they are just acting like fascists or merely attempting to increase income / profit then I'm with Leigh East 100% and that's something I didn't think I'd say ...

Ps. Calm down fight the fight and good luck with it !

Thank you scrumhalf7 for signing the petition , everybody likes a good bit of banter , but in worrying times as Leigh East have at the minute we haven't seen it like that , so apologies.

Leigh East entered an agreement with the council 7 years ago , for like for like terms ,  on the back of a Sport England grant of £850,000 for new clubhouse and pitches for Leigh East ARLFC.

If you read some of the facts on the other forums about how much money is being lost/ mismanaged by the village, then we can only presume that they want to increase income/profit by taking the bar and function rooms from Leigh East.

Thanks for your support. We have now 5000 signatures.

Probably not dropped yet.

Scrum half seven , you belittle the great name of Leigh miners , I'm shocked at your post . Our under 18s will try today to close the gap in our successes. You do not speak for your club of that I'm sure . And I'm sure taxi egg and Leigh miners 1 will endorse that . Your posts are the only negative ones that we have had in this campaign . Would you care to tell us who you are , if your a player . That's if you have any BALLS

Easts maybe struggling off and on the pitch but they still produces talent, as the news that Sam Hopkins has signed with Wigan proves. This goes to show what easts mean to the youth in leigh. Hope you win the fight.

Been in meetings all day with Wigan council and our solicitor and a press release will be issued ASAP , I'm a very happy man tonight

Been in meetings all day with Wigan council and our solicitor and a press release will be issued ASAP , I'm a very happy man tonight

Sounding good Mr C