Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bholder

Strange refereeing decision

13 posts in this topic

I've seen some strange refereeing decision before but the one at Oulton Raiders V Rochdale Mayfield takes the biscuit. 

Midway through the 1st half with Raiders leading by 10 points Mayfield captain approached the referee following a short discussion the referee called over another Mayfield player and then called over a Raiders player and showed him a yellow card he made no signal to the reason why.

During this sin binning Mayfield took the lead by 2 points.

During halftime a member of the Raiders coaching staff asked the referee why the player had been sin binned his answer was that he had been told by a Mayfield player that the player  had made a racist comment the referee also stated he had heard nothing.

While I'm all for stamping out any form of racism in sport I believe if all referees follow  this example a massive can of worms could be opened and players could unfairly use allegations to gain an advantage. 

I was an independent spectator and glad when back at full strength Raiders went on to win a otherwise tightly contested game.

I've seen some strange refereeing decision before but the one at Oulton Raiders V Rochdale Mayfield takes the biscuit. 

Midway through the 1st half with Raiders leading by 10 points Mayfield captain approached the referee following a short discussion the referee called over another Mayfield player and then called over a Raiders player and showed him a yellow card he made no signal to the reason why.

During this sin binning Mayfield took the lead by 2 points.

During halftime a member of the Raiders coaching staff asked the referee why the player had been sin binned his answer was that he had been told by a Mayfield player that the player  had made a racist comment the referee also stated he had heard nothing.

While I'm all for stamping out any form of racism in sport I believe if all referees follow  this example a massive can of worms could be opened and players could unfairly use allegations to gain an advantage. 

I was an independent spectator and glad when back at full strength Raiders went on to win a otherwise tightly contested game.

Who was the referee in question? Did the Oulton player admit to it when spoken to by ref ? If not then you're right it opens a real can of worms.

player denied saying anything and not sure of refs second name but his 1st name is Jamie.If player had admitted it I would have totally agreed with the refs decision 

The referee should not have shown the yellow card on the word of an opponent, he should have informed the accused player that a complaint had been made and that he would be including it in his report. However if the ref had heard a racist comment then it should have been a red card.

I am afraid that this guy hasn't done himself or his colleagues any favours by his decision.

We (Skirlaugh) played a 57 minute second half away at St Pats a couple of weeks ago

I believe the referees decision could have turned this into a racist incident because he took one persons word against another's. Like I said earlier I was a neutral at the game and must say Oultons fans and coaching staff didn't react in a hostile way at all but I could imagine what could have happened if this was at some more volatile supporters ground.

We had a 17 year old kid reffing at the weekend. He was constantly blowing his whistle, which ruined the game, and couldn't count the tackles! 1, 2, 3 5th and last!!

I refereed at the weekend a game of U18s, they kept dropping the ball, couldn't tackle, couldn't pass and didn't know the laws. Totally ruined the game as i had to keep blowing the whistle. Coaches were obviously clueless.  

Bizarre. If a player reports racial abuse (without the refereeing hearing or seeing anything) he should inform both captains and the player(s) involved that he will report it after the game to the relevant people.

If he hasn't heard or witnessed anything himself he shouldn't take any action on the field.

an oulton club official approached the mayfield player after the game to ask what was said so that oulton could take appropriate action. the mayfield player refused to say, saying it was nothing. a different mayfield player was later heard saying that its something they do to gain an advantage so refs beware!

This post was not intended to have a go at referee's but to bring an incident to the attention of rugby league fans and followers and make sure this is a one off and doesn't become regular .

The match official was Stephen Race