Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wellsy4HullFC

Mergers in the NRL

28 posts in this topic

The bit I saw on Wiki had a target date - 2016 and for 2 new teams I think?

Yeah we've heard that before though. That day will come and it'll get postponed again, like the last few times. It's far from clear and detailed. Bid teams are just hoping and waiting for them to make their mind up.

Regardless of whether any expansion goes ahead or not, the fact that the bid process is transparent and the bids themselves are in the public domain is very healthy IMHO. It shows clear direction and letting everyone know where they stand. The NRL are to be applauded for this approach.

It does? How does everyone know where they stand more than any other system?

The comparison is the P&R Super League, which is a complete mess and facing oblivion (IMHO).

Again, how? How is it a complete mess? And how is it facing oblivion when it's coming back? Strange comment.

How can you say franchising works better than P&R by comparing NRL to SL (during P&R era)? SL hasn't exactly improved during licensing. Why not compare like for like?

Do you think NRL would be where it is now if it had employed P&R following the late 90s schism?

I wouldn't have a clue. I wouldn't be arrogant enough to say it would or wouldn't without anything to compare it to.

From Wiki and I agree wholeheartedly with Mr Gallop:

The National Rugby League adopted a hard salary cap model in its first season in 1998. The salary cap is A$5.8 million in 2013, with a salary floor of A$5.365 million (92.5% of the cap).

The NRL's stated purposes for having a salary cap are "to assist in spreading the playing talent" and "ensure that clubs are not put into positions where they are forced to spend more money than they can afford in terms of player payments, just to be competitive." [8] Before the 2012 season, the NRL's then Chief executive David Gallop said "The cap's there to make sure that pure purchasing power cannot dominate the sport... It means we can genuinely say that all 16 teams ... have a chance. For the fan every week, every game is a contest. That's at the core of why rugby league is so successful."

Clearly you can't operate such a cap floor with P&R, as I mentioned earlier. Franchising, the mergers and the cap floor are inextricably linked and without any of them it's hard to imagine that NRL would be the benchmark league that it is now.

Why can't you?

Why can't you?

To compete you need to sign calibre players to lengthy contracts. You obviously can't do that if there is uncertainty around income streams that will inevitably reduce if you drop to a lower level. And said players would be wary of joining such clubs in the first place. There would simply be a cram towards those clubs furthest removed from relegation fear, like we see in the Euro soccer leagues and - essentially - in Super League.