Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kenilworth Tiger

Should the plug be pulled on Salford?

70 posts in this topic

I actually agree with you and I posted this to highlight the silliness of the knee jerk reaction to London being beaten heavily by warrington.

I had no idea some people would actually agree with me!

There is no opinion that is too insane that you couldn't find RL fans that agreed with it.

Doesn't mean that they don't have a fixed home.

Just to be clear, then London have a fixed home too.

Both have a tenancy agreement to play at a stadium owned by a third party and where the landlord cannot guarantee making it available when the club requires.

I actually agree with you and I posted this to highlight the silliness of the knee jerk reaction to London being beaten heavily by warrington.

I had no idea some people would actually agree with me!

Hoisted by your own petard, Kenny!

not seen this posted anywhere else on the forum - from yesterdays Manchester Evening News

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/koukash-walk-salford-reds-success-4283486

Maybe Koukash will pull the plug himself

I saw that too, with a brief mention of it on last night's game.

It doesn't fill me with confidence as a rugby fan to be honest. I see what he means, no-one is exempt from the axe in taking the club forward but it doesn't exactly read as such.

Just to be clear, then London have a fixed home too.

Both have a tenancy agreement to play at a stadium owned by a third party and where the landlord cannot guarantee making it available when the club requires.

Just to be even clearer Broncos' tenancy agreement ends at the end of this season and they don't as yet have another. Salford will have the same home next year as they did this year. 

There is no opinion that is too insane that you couldn't find RL fans that agreed with it.

I used the phrase 'I agree´ mainly to get a reaction. I then listed some concerns and compared them to London.

Other than that not one poster has said anybody should pull the plug on Salford.

Except for Koukash who's said he'll walk if he doesn't get results.

Hoisted by your own petard, Kenny!

I saw that too, with a brief mention of it on last night's game.

It doesn't fill me with confidence as a rugby fan to be honest. I see what he means, no-one is exempt from the axe in taking the club forward but it doesn't exactly read as such.

It;s fair to say that he is a loose cannon and you can't predict what he is or is not likely to do.

I used the phrase 'I agree´ mainly to get a reaction. I then listed some concerns and compared them to London.

Other than that not one poster has said anybody should pull the plug on Salford.

Except for Koukash who's said he'll walk if he doesn't get results.

A-ha the "I agree" actually meant "I don't agree". I'm sorry that I didn't get that the first time.

A-ha the "I agree" actually meant "I don't agree". I'm sorry that I didn't get that the first time.

It didn't really work. Sometimes my amazing jokes miss the mark.

It;s fair to say that he is a loose cannon and you can't predict what he is or is not likely to do.

What's interesting is in the beginning he outwardly said this would take time and wouldn't happen overnight.

I predict Koukash will have disappeared from sight within three years, and certain posters on here will blame anyone that's been critical of his methods/mouth for driving him and his money out of the game.

What's interesting is in the beginning he outwardly said this would take time and wouldn't happen overnight.

He also said that he wouldn't be a sugar daddy and would run it like a business.

It wouldn't surprise me if he ragequit halfway through next season and it wouldn't surprise me if he pulled it off and Salford did a Huddersfield.

Either way it needs to be the chance to run its course.

I predict Koukash will have disappeared from sight within three years, and certain posters on here will blame anyone that's been critical of his methods/mouth for driving him and his money out of the game.

Yeah, they'd do that. I can see Dr Koukash now saying "I felt we were on the verge of something big but I kept reading totalrl and some of the forumites there upset me so much that it just wasn't worth it any more".

They already blame the RFL for not allowing him to change the competition rules just to suit Salford

They already blame the RFL for not allowing him to change the competition rules just to suit Salford

Yes but this is just prolonged foreplay.

I can't believe any one takes the MEN comic seriously. Barker just lifts stuff from the internet and then twists it to fit his agenda.

The doc has appointed a businessman to run the club from next season, he has said that he believes he is the man to change the fortunes and as many like to remind us he isn't the only owner of the club/

Clubs will fail on their own without plus being pulled. :)

There are still fairly fresh threads on the good ol' Doctor being good for RL. Not for me I'm afraid but the thing is Salford are big enough to survive without him, one way or another.

However London have no "club", they have a licence and they have set themselves up like a modern day service business to deliver it. Therefore without a licence they are nothing. They are a vacuous franchise with no roots and they only have themselves to blame.

Just to be absolutely clear (see what I did there?) this is not a point being made between expansion and heartland because frankly the Bronco's have had plenty of time to create a heartland in London.

I can't believe any one takes the MEN comic seriously. Barker just lifts stuff from the internet and then twists it to fit his agenda.

The doc has appointed a businessman to run the club from next season, he has said that he believes he is the man to change the fortunes and as many like to remind us he isn't the only owner of the club/

Clubs will fail on their own without plus being pulled. :)

By the sounds of it he's going to have it split in two, the business side led my great business men and the rugby side led by a great coach.  Best men for the job rather than a jack of all trades?  Waht a farce!

Then he apparently said that if he couldn't deliver success (no time frame) he would leave.  What an overnight sensation, if after putting the best resources in place and improving the management and structures the club is going backwards he won't deem it worthwhile carrying on, not exactly a radical opinion.

Then he apparently said that if he couldn't deliver success (no time frame) he would leave.  What an overnight sensation, if after putting the best resources in place and improving the management and structures the club is going backwards he won't deem it worthwhile carrying on, not exactly a radical opinion.

Deliberate misquote by the Manchester Evening News there.  He cleared it up before the match on Monday night.  He restated that he was in for the long haul.

if kashkow told me it was tuesday i'd have to check the callender

There are still fairly fresh threads on the good ol' Doctor being good for RL. Not for me I'm afraid but the thing is Salford are big enough to survive without him, one way or another.

However London have no "club", they have a licence and they have set themselves up like a modern day service business to deliver it. Therefore without a licence they are nothing. They are a vacuous franchise with no roots and they only have themselves to blame.

Just to be absolutely clear (see what I did there?) this is not a point being made between expansion and heartland because frankly the Bronco's have had plenty of time to create a heartland in London.

Indeed.

Parky was doing the "How dare you criticise Crusaders! What about Salford / Wakey line?" a few years back - I told him that both Salford and Wakey would still be here in 5 years' time but Crusaders wouldn't.

Then we had "Why are you criticising Broncos? - look at Widnes" last year to which my reply was "Widnes will do better next year, I doubt that Broncos will".

It's 2013 now, fast forward 5 years, anyone seriously think that Broncos and Salford will be in comparable positions in 2018. Even if the doctor walks away, I'd still say that Salford will be around if not in the top division then in touching distance of it but I'd be surprised if Broncos were anywhere near. 

Deliberate misquote by the Manchester Evening News there.  He cleared it up before the match on Monday night.  He restated that he was in for the long haul.

Yeah that was my inferrence, sorry didn't mean to cast aspersions on Dr. Koukash.  My reason for mentioning the no time frame is that I assumed he meant after a long time but that the MEN were trying to weasel his words to make it sound like he meant next year rather than next decade.

Personally, I think the good Doctor is great.

Indeed.

Parky was doing the "How dare you criticise Crusaders! What about Salford / Wakey line?" a few years back - I told him that both Salford and Wakey would still be here in 5 years' time but Crusaders wouldn't.

Then we had "Why are you criticising Broncos? - look at Widnes" last year to which my reply was "Widnes will do better next year, I doubt that Broncos will".

It's 2013 now, fast forward 5 years, anyone seriously think that Broncos and Salford will be in comparable positions in 2018. Even if the doctor walks away, I'd still say that Salford will be around if not in the top division then in touching distance of it but I'd be surprised if Broncos were anywhere near. 

The way to grow RL is to increase the heartland of RL through expansion and expansion by any scientific definition is normally achieved through an increase in energy. In the case of RL the energy is a combination of cash for a good team and a long term investment in inclusion and accessibility.

A heartland club will have a bit of the first but bags of the second and third requirements. It seems an expansion clubs gets the first for a while in the hope that the other 2 fall into place quite quickly.

In all the above cases a bit of cash was expected to go a long way to covering all 3 needs. What London have done is to focus the cash purely on the delivery of the contractual needs of their licence. The thing is with Crusaders, they had even less cash but ironically they are going places developing the 2nd and 3rd requirements. It won't be long before they can claim to be a heartland club.

Indeed.

Or, put another way, "I told you so and I'm on such a roll you are all on notice I'll be doing so again when London Broncos fold". The point is their are only really 5 superleague clubs of whom no irony can be attached to the appellation "top division". That's the issue for Superleague and it's just plain mean to snipe at the likes of London, as if there's a phalanx of cashed up clubs waiting in the wings that will spend all their salary cap, bring thousands of new fans and deliver modern new stadia.

Or, put another way, "I told you so and I'm on such a roll you are all on notice I'll be doing so again when London Broncos fold". The point is their are only really 5 superleague clubs of whom no irony can be attached to the appellation "top division". That's the issue for Superleague and it's just plain mean to snipe at the likes of London, as if there's a phalanx of cashed up clubs waiting in the wings that will spend all their salary cap, bring thousands of new fans and deliver modern new stadia.

I don't think Broncos will fold, I just don't think they'll be a top division side for much longer. And yeah I don't mind pointing out that I was right in my predictions. I'm not always right but I get most things. And I certainly don't mind pointing out that some people arguing the case against Salford don't seem to have got anything right ever.

It's not having a go at Broncos, it's having an opinion on which sides should be awarded licences (if we are still doing that in 2014). Salford should be in and London should be out.

if kashkow told me it was tuesday i'd have to check the callender

calendar or colander ??

I would check your Colander first  you might find your argument is full of holes .. ;)

It's Tuesday ..

I recall Widnes being the subject of debate after big losses last season , and that was after 4 years of support by their rich backer , 1 year on with a few more key signings Widnes are a different proposition , and it would be great if they made the top 8 at the expense of a traditional ( top 8 ) side .

Safe to say Salford are in a bad place at the minute moral wise on the playing side as Noble wrestles to get a cohesive performance out many in the a squad who know they'll be flirted