Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bedlam breakout

mc namara calls you "the fans" blinkered

60 posts in this topic

One point though, he absolutely isn't getting much respect from the fans, and that was well before any squad announcements. It is quite a strange thing this dislike of him, I'm not sure I've witnessed it so much for a national manager, and I'm not that sure what he has done to deserve it.

I'm not sure there is a dislike of him, more of a lack of trust.  After all, he's our national coach.  He is supposed to be a coach of the highest standard - he would need to be to coach at international level.  But what did he achieve in order to qualify for the job of national coach?  Nothing.  In fact, Bradford were slipping down the league with him in charge.

Had he been a successful coach - had won some silverware or even just made it to a final or two with his club - then he would have begun his tenure on a positive footing.  But he went into the job with fans not thinking he was up to it based upon his record at Bradford.  And prior to Bradford, where did he coach? 

He was on a loser from the outset IMO.  But he really hasn't made a case for himself in recent weeks.

I think you reaction is more ridiculous if I'm honest

Care to explain how? Please try to without going off on a tangent about something completely irrelevant.

What did Mal Meninga achieve at Canberra as a coach? Seems to be doing ok in charge of the Queensland side though!

McNamara's issue is that he doesn't endear himself to fans and seems unable to justify a lot of what he does. He uses a lot of buzz words and clearly has a lot of favourites within his 'organisation'. When coupled with the fact he doesn't have a track record of success fans feel justified in having a pop at him. Personally I would sack him now and replace him, that's unlikely to happen and therefore ill support the team in the WC against allcomers but until then ill vent frustrations with everyone else ....... and get back to calling him McBanana.

What did Mal Meninga achieve at Canberra as a coach? Seems to be doing ok in charge of the Queensland side though!

Coaching Queensland though is like coaching a club team.  NSW is coached by a coach from the lower league, and his side won last week!  I doubt though that the Australians would have appointed Meninga as their national coach based on a couple of years taking a club team further down the league.  Besides, let's face it, coaching Queensland with their spine of players must be a bloody doddle when compared to almost every other coaching job in the league!

What's with all this consternation?

RL fans are, on the whole, a rather blinkered bunch.

You only have to look through some of the threads on here, and this is one of the more reasonable forums.

Live with it, it probably means we're more passionate about our clubs than most other sports.

Care to explain how? Please try to without going off on a tangent about something completely irrelevant.

Because you seem to have got really worked up over nothing, and then insinuated McNamara called the fans 'morons ' when he did nothing if the sort.

Respect is earned. 

The more I hear him at present the less I respect him. 

And your little teacher impression doesn't earn respect either!  Leave it out (including the spelling lesson above).

You said it.  Now get earning.

Because you seem to have got really worked up over nothing, and then insinuated McNamara called the fans 'morons ' when he did nothing if the sort.

First point I questioned your point about calling me blinkered by my own club when it comes to England selection, you failed to tell me how.

I said making statements aimed at the fans is pathetic which it is, it's like he's trying to generate fan heat.

I didn't put Moron in my post and I never implied it, tangent.

First point I questioned your point about calling me blinkered by my own club when it comes to England selection, you failed to tell me how.

I said making statements aimed at the fans is pathetic which it is, it's like he's trying to generate fan heat.

I didn't put Moron in my post and I never implied it, tangent.

I've already stated why fans are blinkered as they see more of their own team than any other and are passionate which clouds judgement.

Sorry got you mixed up with the OP

McNamara's issue is that he doesn't endear himself to fans and seems unable to justify a lot of what he does. He uses a lot of buzz words and clearly has a lot of favourites within his 'organisation'. When coupled with the fact he doesn't have a track record of success fans feel justified in having a pop at him. Personally I would sack him now and replace him, that's unlikely to happen and therefore ill support the team in the WC against allcomers but until then ill vent frustrations with everyone else ....... and get back to calling him McBanana.

You know what?  We've had GB and England managers/coaches in the past who have had superb winning track records as players and club managers who have gone on to fail dismally at international level. Th last series win was over 40 years ago, I recall.

You know something else? You and others are perfectly free to have a pop at him, true enough. Childish name calling is sort of your Dennis Healy/Geoffrey Howe moment and I bet McNamara feels like he's been savaged by a dead sheep.

Haha! Touché...

I've interviewed him a couple of times for Love Rugby League and spoke to him off the record at a few RL events recently. He always comes across as a very respectable bloke in my experience. It was nice of him to actually remember who I was and come and say hello at the RLCares dinner!

I don't agree with some of his team selections, but off the field I can't knock him.

Me thinks when thou defends him and his captain thou does pen thy words with the..... Devils fine ink

It's almost as bad as the England football manager, you're screwed before you get the job and eventually you know you'll end up leaving in disgrace with everyone calling you a cabbage. The only positive is that you won't have your face plastered across the back page of The Sun pictured as that cabbage.

Really? I thought Noble and Smith came out pretty well and went in pretty well.

McNamara. Why should he respect the fans if they don't respect him?

Do ALL the fans show him disrespect? His last few comments have certainly shown disrespect to a lot of them.

You'd think he'd show a bit more professionalism than a fan to be fair.

I've already stated why fans are blinkered as they see more of their own team than any other and are passionate which clouds judgement.

Sorry got you mixed up with the OP

I've seen more of my own team. Am I blinkered that I think Danny Brough should be in the team but no Hull players?

Just a thought...

There's a big difference between a club coach and coaching an Origin or International team. Meninga didn't do well at club level and maybe his style isn't suited to the type of coaching needed day in day out for players of vastly varying age & ability. At Origin & International you have the elite to work with and its more about managing players & motivation rather than nurturing & developing.

Meninga can take already good players and get them to step up another level again. He puts together game plans that play to the strengths of the individuals he has and doesn't try to implement rigid plans & tactics that force players to play differently to the way they do every week for their clubs. Meninga himself has admitted he is a poor coach but is a bl**dy good man manager.

McBanana was a poor club coach (the results were there for all to see) and he's so far failed to show any indication that he has the ability to take the best the British game has to offer and get them to step up to the next level. Instead of playing to individuals strenghts he seems to set out with a specific game plan and then forces players to change to fit in with that.

For mine, McBanana was a poor choice as national coach. He doesn't appear to have the motivational skills needed to get the best out of individuals, the technical skills to put together game plans that fit with the players he has available, or the experience to recognise where he's getting it wrong.

How dare he call us blinkered.

All of you are one-eyed halfwits.

:)

Me thinks when thou defends him and his captain thou does pen thy words with the..... Devils fine ink

A true rugby league negative response, there. 

Brutus was much more positive. 

"There is a tide in the affairs of men.

Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune;

Omitted, all the voyage of their life

Is bound in shallows and in miseries.

On such a full sea are we now afloat,

And we must take the current when it serves,

Or lose our ventures."

You said it.  Now get earning.

I'm not the national coach whose salary is subsidised by the fans, which includes me, and I don't give a monkey's nuts whether you respect me or not or indeed whether you respect me in the future.  Your opinion of me is irrelevant.  However, I think the national coach's stated view, either implied or otherwise, of the punters who keep the whole gig turning over is of genuine importance and if he continues to make sly, negative or dismissive comments about fans then he deserves all the disrespect from fans that he may receive as a result.

Ah, never underestimate the ability for people to be offended about absolutely anything.

I'm not the national coach whose salary is subsidised by the fans, which includes me, and I don't give a monkey's nuts whether you respect me or not or indeed whether you respect me in the future.  Your opinion of me is irrelevant.  However, I think the national coach's stated view, either implied or otherwise, of the punters who keep the whole gig turning over is of genuine importance and if he continues to make sly, negative or dismissive comments about fans then he deserves all the disrespect from fans that he may receive as a result.

Just as your opinion of McNamara is irrelevant and the name-calling childish. Hypocrisy is not an endearing trait.

i must be one of mcbananas blinkered fans, although i support widnes i have been calling for huddersfield and hull players to be included in the england squad..................

i must be one of mcbananas blinkered fans, although i support widnes i have been calling for huddersfield and hull players to be included in the england squad..................

And Widnes, in every single thread. ;)

I'm a Leeds fan, obviously.

Burrow and JJB should be no where near the England team. Lunt and Kirkmond should have been there.

Walmsley for Moz too.

That's not being blinkered I don't think. I'm not even happy he's picked Hardaker as a centre.