Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

audois

Remi Casty to NRL with Roosters

42 posts in this topic

This is great news in my opinion, the more British and French players playing in the best league the better for the international rugby league scence. The NRL is a trump card for rugby league, what with the huge amount of money on offer and the fantastic lifestyle which can not only keep the best RL talent in our game but maybe even tempt the top union players. I'd also like to see more British and French youngsters try out the Toyota cup(NRL u20 comp).

I'll make a prediction though - Leeds and Saints to apply to join NRL within 5 years. Watch this space.

Don't forget Fev I'm sure they will be shouting from the rooftops that they should also be included.

Really? So how does international cricket manage then?

If you had 6 Euro sides the Aussie sides would only need 1 road trip each and the Euro sides at most 3 but possibly just 2. I don't see a huge problem, although of course the preferred alternative would be a self-contained Euro "conference" with smaller road trips just adding colour by way of non-conference games. But that would necessitate as many Euro NRL sides as are in Aus, which brings us back to the same problem that Super League faces, namely that we're not brave or ambitious enough to engineer them.

I'll make a prediction though - Leeds and Saints to apply to join NRL within 5 years. Watch this space.

You didn't used to write the press releases for the Essex Eels did you?

Really? So how does international cricket manage then?

If you had 6 Euro sides the Aussie sides would only need 1 road trip each and the Euro sides at most 3 but possibly just 2. I don't see a huge problem, although of course the preferred alternative would be a self-contained Euro "conference" with smaller road trips just adding colour by way of non-conference games. But that would necessitate as many Euro NRL sides as are in Aus, which brings us back to the same problem that Super League faces, namely that we're not brave or ambitious enough to engineer them.

Why not just rebrand RL in the Northern Hemisphere as NRL Europe and the current NRL becomes NRL Australasia.

You could then have the winner of each NRL comp play in a Champions of the World NRL Grand Final. 

Given the amount of movement from the DW to the NRL, I would have thought Wigan would be the obvious club to join the competition.

They could be called the Wigan Ex Pats!

Why not just rebrand RL in the Northern Hemisphere as NRL Europe and the current NRL becomes NRL Australasia.

You could then have the winner of each NRL comp play in a Champions of the World NRL Grand Final. 

I still dunno why they stick the the "National" bit of NRL, "International" surely?

Given the amount of movement from the DW to the NRL, I would have thought Wigan would be the obvious club to join the competition.

They could be called the Wigan Ex Pats!

Yes. Like! HannerJackFrank would explode with confusion over whether or not they're super stars.

Don't forget Fev I'm sure they will be shouting from the rooftops that they should also be included.

Ha ha ha ha, very good. Full marks sir.

I still dunno why they stick the the "National" bit of NRL, "International" surely?

Was thinking of mirroring what Gridiron does, they have had the NFL and NFL Europe (don't know much about the latter to be honest, can imagine it not being a great success).

But given the strength and commercial power of the NRL, maybe it is worth considering rebadging Superleague to NRL Europe?

Indeed and I've championed this before and given a detailed account of how it could work. But we would need a franchised European league with cap equality with NRL to make it happen and apparently that isn't our style. So my best hope is that NRL forces something smaller by way of the trickle effect I've mentioned.

Was thinking of mirroring what Gridiron does, they have had the NFL and NFL Europe (don't know much about the latter to be honest, can imagine it not being a great success).

But given the strength and commercial power of the NRL, maybe it is worth considering rebadging Superleague to NRL Europe?

I caught the ###### end of the NBA on Monday night, I think, and did wonder if we should move to an acronym moniker as we tend to take influence from Australia and America with the nicknames and stuff anyway, much to the annoyance of a few.

Indeed and I've championed this before and given a detailed account of how it could work. But we would need a franchised European league with cap equality with NRL to make it happen and apparently that isn't our style. So my best hope is that NRL forces something smaller by way of the trickle effect I've mentioned.

Why would you need cap equality? For me that is not necessary, after all lets remember that the cost of living in Aus is something like double here so their salaries need to be much higher.

Leeds have managed OK against the NRL sides on a lower cap and I'm sure Wigan and Warrington could do alright against against the likes of Souths or Storm in an NRL World Champions Grand Final match.

Would be great but would of course necessitate NRL taking the reins and I can't see them signing off the current system we have as it is (and I'd be horrified if they did). But a conjoined approach with the Aussies calling the shots would be fine by me, although I suspect I'd be in the minority.

Leeds have managed OK against the NRL sides on a lower cap

....in a one-off game on home territory in the NRL off-season.

Let's not kid ourselves - serious games between NRL and Super League sides right now would be embarrassing.

I caught the ###### end of the NBA on Monday night, I think, and did wonder if we should move to an acronym moniker as we tend to take influence from Australia and America with the nicknames and stuff anyway, much to the annoyance of a few.

Exactly, people quite happily talk about the NFL or NBA.

Would it be such a leap to rebadge SL as the NRL? If the NRL is the strongest rugby competition in the southern hemisphere, you would like to think that there could be some serious commercial clout in top flight European RL coming under the badge.

Would be a massive punt to do it but why couldn't you have the NRL Grand Final say Wigan v Souths at Wembley, or in Dubai or Hong Kong?

Would be great but would of course necessitate NRL taking the reins and I can't see them signing off the current system we have as it is (and I'd be horrified if they did). But a conjoined approach with the Aussies calling the shots would be fine by me, although I suspect I'd be in the minority.

Goes without saying that the Aussies would really be in charge, but I'm not sure that is such a big problem as they already are to all intents and purpose.

Would be a massive punt to do it but why couldn't you have the NRL Grand Final say Wigan v Souths at Wembley, or in Dubai or Hong Kong?

I'm a big fan of RL be accessible to its fans. I don't see this as being affordable to fans of competing clubs or desirable enough for neutrals.

I'm a big fan of RL be accessible to its fans. I don't see this as being affordable to fans of competing clubs or desirable enough for neutrals.

There is always that issue of affordability. However I see no reason why you couldn't have the NRL World Grand Final at Wembley - after all the Aussie economy is pretty boyant with plenty of flights to London. Likewise plenty of Brits seem to spend time in Dubai and again there are plenty of flights out there. Hong Kong is a bit of a stretch from the UK, I give you that.