Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RS

London Broncos time to be very afraid

181 posts in this topic

33?

oops...

Surely a partnership with a soccer club located close to a big amateur set up is the best way to grow a 'real' club in the capital. Our target market is more soccer fan than ru fan.

If we did drop out at the end of this season (remember that Stevo does know a bit about what goes on there) then it would make sense for SL to run with 13 next season and wait on the clubs deciding on how they want the game organised after 2014. Clubs who want to apply for a licence would be planning on moving up then, and could have problems with an earlier move.

FWIW I think Broncos will survive but not as a SL club and I think Wellsy's idea that we need four championship clubs in London in the north, east, south and west to create a sense of rivalry and build up the game slowly is the right way forward. I daresay you'll ignore this and focus on my apparent glee.

I think London can sustain a Super League club.  What it can't be expected to do is sustain a basket case like the Broncos have become.  I honestly can't think of a single thing the club has done right in the past five years other than massively improve in its development of local players.

I don't buy into the 'we need X championship' clubs.  Obviously we need a pyramid and we need as many well-run and sustainable clubs as possible.  If we end up with Skolars in Haringey, Broncos in Barnet and Hemel in Hemel then that's a straight line from north London to northern home counties.  It's not what anyone would have come up with a pins-on-a-map approach but it might actually make sense in a way that (say) championship clubs over an hour apart from each other in Haringey, Leytonstone, Morden and Acton might not.

SL side further south than Warrington (soft southerners that they are) 

Erm  Widnes are the most southern team :)  Don't associate us with those Northerners down the road

just watched the show, Stevo was put in his place after the remark he made about the club folding by one of the panelist, he said the two owners of the club, will be going to Barnet with the club, and that stadium rules will not apply come the new league structure.

To say Londoners don't take to Rugby League is unforgiving, what you are saying a massive part of the country is a "no go area" for the game.

To say Londoners don't take to Rugby League is unforgiving, what you are saying a massive part of the country is a "no go area" for the game.

Yep, one with a thriving amateur and junior scene.

Erm  Widnes are the most southern team :)  Don't associate us with those Northerners down the road

Yep, you're right, by half a mile or so, my apologies!  Widnes... soft southerners...

I'd be gutted to see London go - many happy memories from visits as an away fan and as a neutral.

Can't help but thing the proposed league structure with the split after 11 games, whilst not being a fan of it personally could be a real shot in the arm for a club like London.  They still get the glamour of some of the big names coming to town for part of the season whilst also getting a significant portion were by they can perhaps be more competitive and gain some sort of momentum from which to go forward with.

Aside from the potential damage to the game if the Broncos did drop out of SL (which i believe would be very significant), I'd get slaughtered at work by the union fans. It's hard enough as it is trying to legitimise rugby league as anything other than a Northern sport. This would be a nail in the coffin of any of my arguments.

Aside from the potential damage to the game if the Broncos did drop out of SL (which i believe would be very significant), I'd get slaughtered at work by the union fans. It's hard enough as it is trying to legitimise rugby league as anything other than a Northern sport. This would be a nail in the coffin of any of my arguments.

You seem to have confused 'super league' and 'rugby league'. There are ample examples of nationwide RL outside the top flight of RL, are there not?

How do you know that Stevo is 'very well informed' about the London club?  All it sounded like to me was his usual bluster.  His phrasing suggested speculation is all he was indulging in.  Stevo also spoke on Back Chat about a list of players Dr Koukash had said he wanted for Salford and was his usual mocking self about it.  That list included Gareth Hock.  Dr Koukash has recently emailed Paramatta Eels (confirmed by the club) to say neither he nor the club nor any agent had discussed Gareth Hock coming to Salford instead of the Eels. Yet the way Stevo spoke on Back Chat you'd think that Koukash had declared it from the rooftops.  What has actually happened is that people have speculated on Internet forums and Stevo has taken that gossip as gospel.

Hughes said in public at the last round of licences that he would only guarantee his support of London until the end of this licensing period.  I think it would be more worthwhile awaiting his decision rather than listening to Stevo's garbage.

Sorry I made the assumption that those on here would be well aware of Stevo's close friendship with London's owner Hughes and therefore may well be very well informed. I would be surprised if Stevo sounded the death knell of London if there wasn't something in it.

You seem to have confused 'super league' and 'rugby league'. There are ample examples of nationwide RL outside the top flight of RL, are there not?

Absolutely, but SL is the only full time professional league, and as such, is viewed (by the union fans where I work at least) as the benchmark of the "spread" of the game. I don't necessarily subscribe to this view, but those from outside the game that I know, do.

How do you know that Stevo is 'very well informed' about the London club?  All it sounded like to me was his usual bluster.

Stevo is certainly full of bluster but he's also very close to David Hughes.

There are some dyed-in-the-wool rugby league fans who think there's nothing below SL level never mind those outside of the sport.

My understanding is, and I'm happy to be corrected, that the conference level clubs that have done best at producing young players (outside the 'heartlands') are the ones with London Broncos near by.

I think London can sustain a Super League club.  What it can't be expected to do is sustain a basket case like the Broncos have become.  I honestly can't think of a single thing the club has done right in the past five years other than massively improve in its development of local players.

I don't buy into the 'we need X championship' clubs.  Obviously we need a pyramid and we need as many well-run and sustainable clubs as possible.  If we end up with Skolars in Haringey, Broncos in Barnet and Hemel in Hemel then that's a straight line from north London to northern home counties.  It's not what anyone would have come up with a pins-on-a-map approach but it might actually make sense in a way that (say) championship clubs over an hour apart from each other in Haringey, Leytonstone, Morden and Acton might not.

Time will tell. I suppose from an attendance point-of-view it might be better to have a cluster. Skolars / Hemel / Oxford games get decent crowds.

I'm just thinking that a lot of the development work has gone on in East and South London and yet we have "no pin".

Time will tell. I suppose from an attendance point-of-view it might be better to have a cluster. Skolars / Hemel / Oxford games get decent crowds.

I'm just thinking that a lot of the development work has gone on in East and South London and yet we have "no pin".

What's the travel time between Hemel and Oxford?  It's got to be the at least 90 minutes, or worse.

I simply cannot see a better alternative than the Broncos playing in whatever division best suits them, drawing on largely local talent, with the RFL making sure there are at least 5 events in London every year. Far more people would watch the Aussie Champions play any northern SL team than would ever watch the Broncos.

Very few people have any affinity for London as a place, and even fewer of the people who have been exposed to RL down here do. But there are enough people who would turn up for a London magic week end, or other games at Wembley. Last time I looked most of the biggest crowds for internationals have been darn sarf, so there is an awareness of the game.

A vibrant London SL team would be a great thing, but that is unlikely to happen any time soon. But there is still plenty of interest in the game in the capital.

I think this is very true.

Yes putting on more big events in London would probably do more for the profile of the sport in the medium term than having a London based SL side. 

Undoubtedly Broncos haven't helped themselves over the last few years and I believe there is a feeling at the RFL that the natural place for a London side right now is in the Championship. There seems to be a decent production line of players coming thru in the South East and having a presence in the Championship leagues is a clear development pathway for players from that part of the country. Given that more and more SL clubs will be looking at the lower leagues to find value signings who are the next Walmsely or Hill should not mean that the lack of a London SL side hinders talent development.

It might actually be a blessing in disguise.

What's the travel time between Hemel and Oxford?  It's got to be the at least 90 minutes, or worse.

AA has it at just over an hour.

AA has it at just over an hour.

Ha ha, not on your life if there's a sniff of traffic.

That stretch by Rickmansworth is a complete nightmare!

Just done it between the grounds, 1 hour and 6 minutes.   

I like the London magic idea. It would get more publicity than Broncos do.

Apologies for the over-reaction then.

I do however think that your life on here will be easier if you put Parksider on ignore.  I know I find the threads make a lot more sense now.

Thank you.

I'd prefer that Parksiders' destructive views did not exist but I think if the game is ever going to progress some the cliches / mantras need to be taken on. I'm sure that the people who run the game do not read totalrl but RL journalists do and they help to form opinions within the game. Fortunately "stick a pin-in-a-map approach" seems to be much less popular than it was 5 or 6 years ago and myths like "Rugby league is such an exciting game that anyone who watches one game will be converted" seem to have died a death. This is progress.

I do however think that your life on here will be easier if you put Parksider on ignore.

He has no need I put him on ignore several months ago.

Londoners like events.

If the Challenge Cup can be consolidated with the Magic Weekend, Grand Final, and the World Club challenge the RFL just might be able to legitimately cal London the Capital of RL and grow the game that way.

It then takes pressure off London (insert name) to build the profile from SL.