Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

l'angelo mysterioso

A sport born of rebellion?

163 posts in this topic

Well they wanted to enough to actually set up separate competitions. I reckon if they were not that bothered about the issue they would have been satisfied with making their point.

But there was clearly more to it than that.

Well they wanted to enough to actually set up separate competitions. I reckon if they were not that bothered about the issue they would have been satisfied with making their point.

I suppose it depends in how you define rebellion

My view tends towards tizzzle's see above

I suppose it depends in how you define rebellion

My view tends towards tizzzle's see above

And bloody hell there was some "dry" reading.

I think this has influenced Padge's own posting style.....

Going back to the OP, I still consider the resignation of the clubs from their county unions to be an act of rebellion. A desire for change of leadership and control, be it county or national level.

I always did.  I'm as guilty as most in thinking that the NU formed so that broken time payments could be made to what were essentially the rougher lads in Yorks and Lancs.  It's important that we know and celebrate our history, and that's why I reckon if, with the help of Padge, we could get a punchy "one pager" together that summarised the facts with the right emphasis then it should be shared widely.

Why did I think the above though?  Because it's what my junior school head teacher told me, and he loved his RL. 

What Padge said is interesting but I have to wonder why this was all overlooked by the likes of Tony Collins. I'd like to hear their take on it.

Maybe because the research done by Padge was how he saw it?Tony Collins asked Padge to get in touch apparently

Maybe because the research done by Padge was how he saw it?Tony Collins asked Padge to get in touch apparently

I've really enjoyed this discussion. It's been very stimulating. There’s a huge amount of detail about the events leading up to 1895 in ‘Rugby’s Great Split’ but I've posted an extract that discusses what happened immediately before the meeting at the George Hotel here: http://t.co/P372g10Wkn

I've really enjoyed this discussion. It's been very stimulating. There’s a huge amount of detail about the events leading up to 1895 in ‘Rugby’s Great Split’ but I've posted an extract that discusses what happened immediately before the meeting at the George Hotel here: http://t.co/P372g10Wkn

As interesting as ever. Thank you for that.

Thanks Tony.

I also found a very interesting piece on 'Where's George?' on that blog. A rugby league film shot in Featherstone in the 1930s. Excellent stuff.

Thanks tony the way things are going I'll be able to recite he entire book by heart!