Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Daddy

Wigan bid for Leigh's Sam Hopkins

48 posts in this topic

Leigh are all cashed up and heading for a glorious future...see other thread. The lad is going nowhere

If rumours on Saints' forums are to be believed then we're also in for him, although we haven't paid a transfer fee for a player in a long time so I'm unsure on how willing we would be to enter a bidding war. 

But, but, but Championship clubs do not produce SL players and neither do amateur teams from championship areas. Parky told me so.

But, but, but Championship clubs do not produce SL players and neither do amateur teams from championship areas. Parky told me so.

What on earth is a championship area? Leigh is in the same area as Wigan ffs

I'm sure parky can speak for himself but I'm pretty sure he's never said that

Are you suggesting he's never heard if Zak hardaker for instance

What on earth is a championship area? Leigh is in the same area as Wigan ffs

I'm sure parky can speak for himself but I'm pretty sure he's never said that

Are you suggesting he's never heard if Zak hardaker for instance

He has but he discounts it as an anomally, an exception which proves the rule.

I would put it to you that leigh East, Leigh Miners and leigh ERangers are in the Leigh Championship sphere of influence and st Patricks, Ince, and the other Wigan Borough area teams are in the Wigan SL sphere iof influence, '

My old club, e.g. Keighley Albion are cleaerly in the Cougars sphere of influence despite being located in the Bradford Metro area.

He has but he discounts it as an anomally, an exception which proves the rule.

I would put it to you that leigh East, Leigh Miners and leigh ERangers are in the Leigh Championship sphere of influence and st Patricks, Ince, and the other Wigan Borough area teams are in the Wigan SL sphere iof influence, '

My old club, e.g. Keighley Albion are cleaerly in the Cougars sphere of influence despite being located in the Bradford Metro area.

I think you'll find it isn't as simple as that and that people don't inhabit pigeon holes

I think you'll find it isn't as simple as that and that people don't inhabit pigeon holes

They do in Keighley.

Beaten to it, but I believe you are living proof that is incorrect

I must be simple because I have no idea what you mean by that.

Great to see lads getting the chance to step up, hope he goes well who ever signs him.

Must be highly regarded if clubs are willing to pay a fee for him now rather than wait until his contract is up at the end of the season.

I must be simple because I have no idea what you mean by that.

Nothing wrong with simplicity

Let me give you a classic example of what I mean

How come Jason Robinson didn't sign for hunslet or even leeds

Are you saying that people only join the clubs that are in their own direct locality?

If this were the case then the landscape of the sport would be somewhat different to what it is

Nothing wrong with simplicity

Let me give you a classic example of what I mean

How come Jason Robinson didn't sign for hunslet or even leeds

Are you saying that people only join the clubs that are in their own direct locality?

If this were the case then the landscape of the sport would be somewhat different to what it is

Was it something to do with Jesus or money?

Was it something to do with Jesus or money?

Both

He looked at the money Wigan were offering and said

Jesus!

hopkins is one of many talented young players in the championship, look out for the phillips brothers from workington they'll be the next ones to make the step up.

I wonder how long the list is of players from outside the keighley area who turned professional with keighley

Well I don't because its huge

And Hopkins would have turned pro with Salford if the deal hadn't fallen through

hopkins is one of many talented young players in the championship, look out for the phillips brothers from workington they'll be the next ones to make the step up.

yes, and with the reduction of journeymen aussies coming here and top british players going down under the young home grown talent in the championship could begin to get more opportunities in super league.

No I didn't.

I told you at the start of this season that in the first 25's of the Superleague club teams the big majority of them actually come from Superleague areas. The next biggest group come from overseas.

After that 28 come from Championship club's areas.

You are always championing small clubs for Superleague when in some cases they produce only one pro player every so many years, and in some cases don't have a player from their area currently playing in Superleague.

So how can they be a Superleague club if they don't have the amateur base to be one?

Now of course Leigh may have produced a crackerjack, but there is the problem. He goes to Wigan.

Clubs who have rotted in the championship for years often only have one amateur club locally. How is that any base for a professional player production line??

We have the resources for one elite league to, if not grow the game, keep it's head above water, and service the TV contract. This is the real world. This is based on the facts.

the amateur scene in leigh and the surrounding are has been producing quality players for years......hopkins is just the latest.

The amateur scene in leigh and the surrounding are has been producing quality players for years......hopkins is just the latest.

That's fair enough. The amateur scene in Hunslet has been doing the same only we get what Leigh get.

Leeds sign 'em......

How are you going to keep your best young Widnes players BTW??

signing them to long contracts,

signing them to long contracts,

That's good. If we are to make headway beyond a 6 club SL we have to try to stop top clubs taking other SL clubs players. Will you get back to the 80's on local player development though?

One way is to change the "club trained" quota from 8 players in the 25 man squad to 8 in the game day 17.

That way clubs are compelled to produce their own and not take other less well off clubs better players.