Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Daddy

Rangi Chase hurt by 'discrimination' over England call up

98 posts in this topic

Poor Rangi, his feelings are hurt.  What about Tangi Ropati's jaw, that looked to hurt a bit.

"I've got hurt feelings"......

Maybe by whingeing he's trying to prove that he is the very essence of English/UK RL.

I have no problem with Chase qualifying for England. Like Brough, my concern is that his form is erratic and he has to be the beginning and the end of a team to perform.

Maybe by whingeing he's trying to prove that he is the very essence of English/UK RL.

I have no problem with Chase qualifying for England. Like Brough, my concern is that his form is erratic and he has to be the beginning and the end of a team to perform.

Quite

Maybe by whingeing he's trying to prove that he is the very essence of English/UK RL

Ah, hadn't thought of that.......what a cunning stunt

But unlike Sinfield, who's form has been simply poor!

He qualifies for England under the rules, debate the rules if you want but it's not his fault.

I thought that's what we were doing?

Because working Visas have a different set of criteria to national sport qualification.

And here lies the main debating point really. We are almost left in the very real situation that a player representing out country can't even work in it. That's why there's something wring with this system.

An English representative should be able to play freely for anyone in this country. Chase can't switch clubs at present due to visa restrictions.

Babbeesyedchipsanpeas

Enlighten me please? I've lived in England all my life and still don't know what that is!

And here lies the main debating point really. We are almost left in the very real situation that a player representing out country can't even work in it. That's why there's something wring with this system.

Yes but not quite. When you represent England at RL or any other sport you are t really representing the country but the governing body of a sport that operates within said country.

Enlighten me please? I've lived in England all my life and still don't know what that is!

Steak pudding chips and peas

I have a few opinions on the situation.

1, i think his form hasn't been nowhere near gud enough.

2, i think anyway u look at him representing englad it must b dishesrtening for young english half bcks wen they see better english born players being overlooked for a ex juniour kiwi.

3, The rules shud b changed imo but if its in the rules and every other country do it then if they gud enough pick them until the rules are changed

hes a one season wonder , that has been found out  by all the other coaches now apart from McNamara , and hes not English, end of thread.

But unlike Sinfield, who's form has been simply poor!

I am amused and bemused if you think I'm a Sinfield believer. I'll just support whoever plays for England.

I would't swap any of Warrington's three halfbacks for any of the three players about whom we constantly bicker on here.

hes a one season wonder , that has been found out  by all the other coaches now apart from McNamara , and hes not English, end of thread.

Is this the same one season wonder that is currently leading the Superleague standings for try assists and offloads and is in the top eight for a further six key stats?

He at least WANTS to play for England, unlike some who were actually born in this country.

one season wonder?

you are clueless - end of thread

Is this the same one season wonder that is currently leading the Superleague standings for try assists and offloads and is in the top eight for a further six key stats?

He at least WANTS to play for England, unlike some who were actually born in this country.

Well it does best suit him at the moment.

If an English coach messes him around and he gets the nod for New Zealand, will he say "no, I'm English."?

We don't know the answer to that, but IMO he would be wearing black with a white V if he had the chance.

Chase qualifies

The sole criterion for his selection should be based on his ability to play to the required standard not how 'English' he is

And what if the criteria for qualification are a load of rubbish? Do we not comment simply because someone qualifies under any prescribed criteria?

Of course it matters how English he (or anyone else) is, otherwise whats the point of internationals?

If he hadn't broken that blokes jaw he could have applied for citizenship this year after 5 years living and working in this country, and that would be more than enough for me.

As it stands, he's not British, he's a New Zealander and if he wants to play international RL he should quit his whinging and get on the phone to Stephen Kearney.

We don't know the answer to that, but IMO he would be wearing black with a white V if he had the chance.

Given that he has married an English girl, had kids here, and lived here for nearly five years now I don't personally doubt his desire to play for England.

But he's still shouldn't be allowed to because he's a Kiwi.

If he whinges hard enough and long enough, he might qualify for Australia.

Interesting reading the article in the OP with the long list of overseas born sportsmen who've represented this country in different sports. The difference with most of them and Rangi Chase, and where my biggest problem with him playing for England lies, is the fact that he has actually played for New Zealand teams in the past. He played twice for the NZ Maoris and he was picked in the NZ 2008 WC train on squad. He's even played against England on two occasions - once for the Maoris and once for the Exiles. I've always had the impression that the only reason he switched to playing for England was because he had no chance of getting in the Kiwi team.

Chase qualifies

The sole criterion for his selection should be based on his ability to play to the required standard not how 'English' he is

Is the right answer.

The qualification rules are a joke, but that is irrelevant to the Chase case. They are just as much a joke for the Australians and in other sports (the British, Irish, American, New Zealand, South African, Samoan and Tongan Lions, anybody?).

As it stands, Chase qualifies to play for England and should play for England providing the coach thinks he's good enough.

Yes but not quite. When you represent England at RL or any other sport you are t really representing the country but the governing body of a sport that operates within said country.

Yes

The thread ended earlier guys, KT said so.....

Not at all - I was merely using the same tactic as the attention seeking bedlam breakout

I was deliberately keeping out of the conversation but "one season wonder" hit a nerve!