Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Daddy_merged

Rangi Chase hurt by 'discrimination' over England call up

98 posts in this topic

Interesting reading the article in the OP with the long list of overseas born sportsmen who've represented this country in different sports.

All of the "overseas" sportsmen in that article have got plausible reasons why they might be British citizens.  Either through family descent, or residency.  

Except one.

richie myler, johnny lomax, joe mellor and danny brough..................4 good reasons why chase shouldn't play for england.

A lot of bitterness towards a player who moves here, settles in, has a family here and fully intends to make England his permanent home.  If he wants to represent England, and it means that much to him that he gets upset over it, then he's far more welcome to an England shirt than those who grudge wearing it.  I don't think his shirt would end up on Ebay if he won one.

I think the international qualification rules are a bit suspect, same as for many other sports, but he meets them and is fully qualified to play if selected.  If he turned out in an England shirt then he'd get the same respect from me as anyone else who accepts the privilege of being awarded one.

A lot of bitterness towards a player who moves here, settles in, has a family here and fully intends to make England his permanent home.  If he wants to represent England, and it means that much to him that he gets upset over it, then he's far more welcome to an England shirt than those who grudge wearing it.  I don't think his shirt would end up on Ebay if he won one.

I think the international qualification rules are a bit suspect, same as for many other sports, but he meets them and is fully qualified to play if selected.  If he turned out in an England shirt then he'd get the same respect from me as anyone else who accepts the privilege of being awarded one.

I think it's a multi layered issue.

- He's played rep football elsewhere

- He's a convicted violent criminal, and can't has visa/citizenship issues as a result

- He's acted violently, petulantly and cowardly on the field on more than one occasion

- He's got a reputation as a naughty boy around town

- He's tried to get away from the club he loves a number of times, Hull FC, St George and probably others

- He's been suspended by his own club for his behaviour

- He's not as good as the other options

Essentially he's generally not considered to be a nice chap, which is subjective and irrelevant to international selection, but added to the above it's easy to see why he's not a universally popular choice.

richie myler, johnny lomax, joe mellor and danny brough..................4 good reasons why chase shouldn't play for england.

Danny Brough is Scottish. Joe Mellor is currently at England Knights level in my opinion.

and can't wait to sign for st george????

Danny Brough is Scottish. Joe Mellor is currently at England Knights level in my opinion.

[/quote

and stefan ratchford as well???

and stefan ratchford as well???

Stefan Ratchford would be in my World Cup squad yes.

A lot of bitterness towards a player who moves here, settles in, has a family here and fully intends to make England his permanent home. 

Even though he has said himself he was going to sign for St George but salary cap issues prevented the move from going through.

I've no problem with Rangi himself, but I do have a problem with a system that allows someone who has been picked in New Zealand sides in the past to be selected for England.

i wouldn't be too sure with mcbanana in charge.

I think it's a multi layered issue.

- He's played rep football elsewhere

- He's a convicted violent criminal, and can't has visa/citizenship issues as a result

- He's acted violently, petulantly and cowardly on the field on more than one occasion

- He's got a reputation as a naughty boy around town

- He's tried to get away from the club he loves a number of times, Hull FC, St George and probably others

- He's been suspended by his own club for his behaviour

- He's not as good as the other options

Essentially he's generally not considered to be a nice chap, which is subjective and irrelevant to international selection, but added to the above it's easy to see why he's not a universally popular choice.

I do accept every single one of your bullets as accurate but it does show commitment that he wants the England jersey.  It's not exactly a well paid or thankful role to want.

Hilarious.

Chase qualifies

The sole criterion for his selection should be based on his ability to play to the required standard not how 'English' he is

What sad and silly times we live in when the last thing that qualifies a player to put on an England shirt is that he's actually English.

Being eligible under the rules to play for Scotland - and so become a Scotland international - doesn't necessarily make one Scottish.

Especially when, in this instance, Brough was specifically invited into the England squad by McNamara after having already represented Scotland.

I agree with you re Joe Mellor.

What happens next if the the RFL decide living in a country for 3 years is too long to qualify & reduce it to one year. Or even better a month or a day.

Will everyone still be saying he qualifies so he should play?

Clever, I see what you've done ther, mixing a fruit in with a surname, hilarious, no really ...

As for people saying Chase shouldn't be picked because he's played for NZ Maoris, well surely those same people can't want Brough in the Englad set up as he's played for another nation, in a WC aswell.

Enlighten me please? I've lived in England all my life and still don't know what that is!

You are obviously not English enough. We need a Babbeesyedchipsanpeas party to defend the true value of Enlgishness.

How about instead of the exiles we have a Babbeesyedchipsanpeas XIII vs a Steak pudding chips and peas XIII

Selection is simple send them into a Chippy and listen to how they order.

As for people saying Chase shouldn't be picked because he's played for NZ Maoris, well surely those same people can't want Brough in the Englad set up as he's played for another nation, in a WC aswell.

Yes, that's exactly what I want, and I still wouldn't pick Sinfield either.

You are obviously not English enough. We need a Babbeesyedchipsanpeas party to defend the true value of Enlgishness.

How about instead of the exiles we have a Babbeesyedchipsanpeas XIII vs a Steak pudding chips and peas XIII

Selection is simple send them into a Chippy and listen to how they order.

Barms vs Teacakes.

Chase has a point :-

He's eligble to play for England though he's not English . I'm not even that bothered if he's nice or a bad boy if he is the best option for a position in the squad .

He aptly points out Cricket - Athletic's & Rugby Union amongst other sports  that would flounder if they didn't 'exploit ' this option  

The Kangeroo's are not shy naturalising  Pacific islanders.  

Elligibilty isn't based on Birth or the forthcomming RLWC would consist of 6 teams at best... .

the discrimination is he the best option on Form? , Is he the best option in the mix of the squad that will be playing with him?  

everything else is incidental

When Chase was first announced for England there were comments but didnt appear any real anger. I think most people saw it happening in other sports as the article highlights.

The main issue for Chase was the difficult season he had last year. After his horror tackle and drop off in form the anger seemed to build up against him. I know think there is an unnecessary level of hatred for the bloke. From what I have seen his form has been good and he has many flashes of skill. You could argue he is our Benji Marshall

I suspect in other sports they would celebrate him, in RL we look for reasons to crucify him.

I'd love to see Chase play in a top team, even my team and see what he can do with class players round him, no disrespect to Cas.

When Chase was first announced for England there were comments but didnt appear any real anger. I think most people saw it happening in other sports as the article highlights.

The main issue for Chase was the difficult season he had last year. After his horror tackle and drop off in form the anger seemed to build up against him. I know think there is an unnecessary level of hatred for the bloke. From what I have seen his form has been good and he has many flashes of skill. You could argue he is our Benji Marshall

I suspect in other sports they would celebrate him, in RL we look for reasons to crucify him.

I'd love to see Chase play in a top team, even my team and see what he can do with class players round him, no disrespect to Cas.

On current form he's far better this Benji Marshall who has been nothing short of dreadful for the past year.

Chase has a point :-

He's eligble to play for England though he's not English . I'm not even that bothered if he's nice or a bad boy if he is the best option for a position in the squad .

He aptly points out Cricket - Athletic's & Rugby Union amongst other sports  that would flounder if they didn't 'exploit ' this option  

The Kangeroo's are not shy naturalising  Pacific islanders.  

Elligibilty isn't based on Birth or the forthcomming RLWC would consist of 6 teams at best... .

the discrimination is he the best option on Form? , Is he the best option in the mix of the squad that will be playing with him?  

everything else is incidental

Which Islanders have moved to Australia as Adults and been Naturlised?

Are you counting emigrants that were 2, 8, 13 and 15 year old's that moved to Australia for a better life and took up League at school and went on to be an Aussie Schoolboy's (like Benji Marshall  amongst many others) many or most choosing the country of their origin rather their country they call home?

Drawing a long Bow there in your comparison mate, Chase was a failed player at West Tigers and St George that moved to England aged 23 and qualified for England on residency laws

On current form he's far better this Benji Marshall who has been nothing short of dreadful for the past year.

Chase is not consistently a first grade player.

He was moved on from the NRL and found a home with a bottom end SL Club and that is a first choice Half for the England squad?

Sounds like a plan to win the WC...

Chase is not consistently a first grade player.

He was moved on from the NRL and found a home with a bottom end SL Club and that is a first choice Half for the England squad?

Sounds like a plan to win the WC...

George Burgess wasnt even guaranteed a starting spot at Bradford, yet walks into South's first team.