Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RoytonRoughyed

Burgess Brothers

38 posts in this topic

The Burgess brothers are applying for Australian Citzenship. When asked about playing in the World Cup for England he said he "wasnt looking that far ahead just yet" Would he really give up on England to try and play for NSW? Be a massive blow for Rugby League in England

The Burgess brothers are applying for Australian Citzenship. When asked about playing in the World Cup for England he said he "wasnt looking that far ahead just yet" Would he really give up on England to try and play for NSW? Be a massive blow for Rugby League in England

Sam's already stated that he's no intention of switching his allegience, and under the new Origin rules he wouldn't be eligible to play for NSW anyway. Getting Australian Citizenship is simply a way of potentially securing a future for himself down under after his rugby career ends. Adrian Morley did exactly the same when he was at the Roosters. He's supposedly still got a house somewhere in Sydney.

Sam's already stated that he's no intention of switching his allegience, and under the new Origin rules he wouldn't be eligible to play for NSW anyway. Getting Australian Citizenship is simply a way of potentially securing a future for himself down under after his rugby career ends. Adrian Morley did exactly the same when he was at the Roosters. He's supposedly still got a house somewhere in Sydney.

No. This is Rugby League. There must be more to it, there must be an agenda, there must be bad news.

It seems like a pragmatic decision to take out citizenship. No reason a priori to assume it is anything to do with who he wants or can play rugby for.

The interview was with Fox Sports Australia. Id post the Link but not sure how to do it. If you are on Twitter it was posted by George Ridley. They do make sound like he is dying to play orgin. It does say that he cant do. I guess we will see

[conspiracy]He knows he's getting snubbed by McNamara so he's applying for Aussie citizenship so he can play Origin and then for the Roos. Another one forced to play for another country by the status quo![/conspiracy]

hes not allowed to play origin....and is'nt going to bin england to play for australia...

they've become aussie citizens so they can stay in australia when they finish playing.....thats the real story here.

The interview was with Fox Sports Australia. Id post the Link but not sure how to do it. If you are on Twitter it was posted by George Ridley. They do make sound like he is dying to play orgin. It does say that he cant do. I guess we will see

It also claims George Burgess went to Australia when he was 16.

hes not allowed to play origin....and is'nt going to bin england to play for australia...

they've become aussie citizens so they can stay in australia when they finish playing.....thats the real story here.

Farce. I blame the RFL!

When I read it it did seem innocent enough as you say, however I can't quite ignore the nagging feeling that Australia might do their best to entice the lads to the green and gold!

It'd be very disappointing if Sam chose not to play for England. I hope that doesn't happen!!!!!

It's probably just more a case of aus is where he and his family want to reside after his career is over not where his international allegiances lay.

My main sadness is that other than internationals we may never see the Burgess boys playing club rugby in eng again.

MAYBE MCBANANA HAS TOLD HIM HE WANTS BURGESS TO PLAY ON THE WING LOLZ

This will more likely see the end of Sam coming back over to England for retirement rather than him playing for England altogether.

MAYBE MCBANANA HAS TOLD HIM HE WANTS BURGESS TO PLAY ON THE WING LOLZ

I'd have all four in the side !

Australian citizenship didn't stop Morley from playing in England again.

Seems like a good move by them if they see their careers panning out in Australia.  It probably saves a lot of visa nonsense for them.

And there's no reason whatsoever why it would have any implications for their international career with England.    You can be British and Australian at the same time - like Tony Smith, Adrian Morley, one of my closest colleagues and probably hundreds of thousands more people.

Only Sam would be eligible to apply for citizenship at the moment, his brothers aren't. I worked in Aus and was eligible to buy my way into the system because of my professional qualififcations and the fact that my 'trade' was on the government list of national skill shortages. I doubt RL player is classed as a skill shortage !!

Sam wont be doing this so he can switch alliegance he'll be doing it so he can claim all the benefits that Aussies do in their tax system. All the old perks that us Brits used to be able to claim such as LAFHA (Living Away From Homwe Allowance) have all been abolished now so Sam will be being taxed at the full amount (no doubt a sizeable portion of his salary was paid tax free through LAFHA).

Correct me if i'm wrong but hasn't Sam got young kids ? If he has then he has to pay for ALL of their childcare costs & schooling, which is pretty expensive in Aus, where as citizens get it all free. They also get better rates on their healthcare.

This bid for citizenship will be nothing more than him saving himself a few quid in tax & expenses.

the aussies press tried the samething with mozza when he went for citizenship back in 2003 iirc

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/3165832.stm

Great Britain forward Adrian Morley has applied for Australian citizenship.

Morley has made a big impression in the NRL since his move to the Sydney Roosters from Leeds in 2000 and has signed a three-year contract extension.

"If I get it, it would be ideal because I can come and go as I please, even when I've finishing playing," he said.

Morley's plans for dual citizenship should not affect his availability to play for Great Britain.

"I already have property in Australia and hopefully I will get the visa," said Morley.

off the back of that fox sports ran a 10min piece about morley possibly playing for NSW in the following year's origin series.....

Correct me if i'm wrong but hasn't Sam got young kids ? If he has then he has to pay for ALL of their childcare costs & schooling, which is pretty expensive in Aus, where as citizens get it all free. They also get better rates on their healthcare.

This bid for citizenship will be nothing more than him saving himself a few quid in tax & expenses.

No he hasn't. Although Luke and his partner have just had a baby.

And just making most things in life much less complicated all round. Makes sense, but I'm sure some TRL members can find something to offend them in this story.