Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tuutaisrambo

League and Union comparison.........info please?

37 posts in this topic

I could edit that Wikipedia stat to read that there were only two union players in the UK and they're both exiled Kiwis.  Not a source to be trusted except as a trivia site.

Do it, do it :-)

I could edit that Wikipedia stat to read that there were only two union players in the UK and they're both exiled Kiwis.  Not a source to be trusted except as a trivia site.

The actual source of that number is the IRB.  And presumably therefore, the RFU.

As you say, not to be trusted.

The actual source of that number is the IRB.  And presumably therefore, the RFU.

As you say, not to be trusted.

Very true :D

One thing i have always wondered with participation numbers is if any sport does double accounting to inflate their numbers.

To show what i mean say we have young John Doe a young promising 15 year old from near you.

Is he John Doe: 1 player in the participation figures. 

Or....

He Plays for his local armature side: 1 John Doe.

He play also for his school: 2 John Doe.

Hes pretty good so gets to play for his service area: 3 John Doe's

Etc etc so by the time you have done, Young John Doe counts as 4 or five participants. 

Does this go on? If not, could we do this to you know inflate things?

Lots of people watch *nion, but few of them *really* like it (corporate hospitalities, glory-hunting tw@triots, general sports bandwagon-jumpers, establishment wonks, overseas 'barmy armies' and americans*). 

Fewer people watch League - but all of them love it!

*Non-scientific sample

What people in rugby league fail to realise is that there's a large player pool in union below first team level, veteran's rugby adds a massive number to the total of players who still play identical laws to the first team game.  Rugby league has nothing like this and the adult laws are quite difficult to play as someone 40+.

It would be interesting to know how much of the difference in participation rates between League and Union are down to this group. Unfortunately, the statistics aren't broken down by age band. Which is a shame.

It would be interesting to know how much of the difference in participation rates between League and Union are down to this group. Unfortunately, the statistics aren't broken down by age band. Which is a shame.

There's nothing in this survey (APS7) but last year's (APS6) does have breakdowns by age.  Unfortunately, the rugby league one is a bit less than useful but the union one does have a decent breakdown by age showing nearly 26,000 people between 35 and 54 actively playing the sport at least weekly and 48,000 playing at least monthly.

The stats is correct but very misleading. It is taken from registered players (not necessarily active registered players). If you break down the figures you get:

pre-teenager 1.1 million

teenager 730k

senior 155k

That is across 1800+ clubs, so the final figure looks about right.

Lots of people watch *nion, but few of them *really* like it (corporate hospitalities, glory-hunting tw@triots, general sports bandwagon-jumpers, establishment wonks, overseas 'barmy armies' and americans*). 

Fewer people watch League - but all of them love it!

*Non-scientific sample

Good satire. :yes:

Two posts deleted to keep the thread on topic.

There's nothing in this survey (APS7) but last year's (APS6) does have breakdowns by age.  Unfortunately, the rugby league one is a bit less than useful but the union one does have a decent breakdown by age showing nearly 26,000 people between 35 and 54 actively playing the sport at least weekly and 48,000 playing at least monthly.

Indeed. It appears no-one over the age of 26 playes Rugby League.

I wonder how the figures are arrived at, and why the union ones appear to be more comprehensive than the league ones.

I also wonder whether schoolkids are counted as willing participants, because this possibly also skews the figures in union's favour given that, presumably, more schools play union than league. We played Eton Wall Game once at school (a comprehensive in Salford. I know! What were they thinking?). That doesn't mean I was a willing participant. Or had any idea what we were doing.