Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cardiff Cymru

Jonathan Davies - Trimsaran Boy

41 posts in this topic

Davies was a good player no doubt, but I think nostalgia has clouded the minds of some as his defence was shocking.

So did you not see that try he did against Newcastle Knights.

Wales were thick as should of came over to League as New Zealand should off.

Billy Boston was the Welsh player for me, I have ben fortunate to see all the best since the war, but the sheer power and skill of Boston had to be seen to be believed. I recall being present when a group of famous players were together discussing Billy, and I raised the point that it appeared almost impossible for a single player to tackle Boston and stop him. Like one they stated it was almost impossible to get your arms round him. Lewis Jones made the game look easy converting tries with a casual ease and coming out of nowhere to make the extra man. Sorry, Jonathon Davies was not in their class but you cannot take away he was an outstanding player.

It has to be Boston, I still recall the hair standing on the back of my neck when he had the ball.

Sorry but you have to move with the times.

When we were on tour in Australia we were all impressed when he bought EVERYONE a drink.

And he was polite enough to listen intently to the scrambled rubbish we were talking.

You will struggle to discover a finer man.

Yet he puts up with Gussott.

Wales were thick as should of came over to League as New Zealand should off.

Mate I know you have dyslexia problems but come on- give us a clue to what that line is supposed to mean.

bearman, on 30 Nov 2013 - 10:40 PM, said:

Mate I know you have dyslexia problems but come on- give us a clue to what that line is supposed to mean.

One would assume that it's something to do with rugby league being a more natural fit for the Welsh, with the overwhelming majority of players being working class and having more in common with the workers in rugby than the public schoolboys in the RFU.

One would assume that it's something to do with rugby league being a more natural fit for the Welsh, with the overwhelming majority of players being working class and having more in common with the workers in rugby than the public schoolboys in the RFU.

Cheers and I find that since the Union game went pro and open the game has suffered in Wales as the RFU really don't give a stuff about the club game there.

Davies was a fine player, no doubt, but in the big games against the standard bearers of the time - Wigan - he rarely made an impact. To mention his record in the sport in the same breath as Boston is an insult to the great man.

Cheers and I find that since the Union game went pro and open the game has suffered in Wales as the RFU really don't give a stuff about the club game there.

God knows I can bash the RFU with the best of them, but even I struggle to see how the mess in Wales RU is anything to do with them. The club game in Wales is the sole responsibility of the WRU, who do give a stuff, but get their decisions wrong...

I reckon the Wigan thing is a bit overdone. Davies performed with credit in the hardest comp of all - the Sydney league.  He is the best convert I've seen since Lewis Jones.  I'm not sure about comparisons with Boston - I saw Boston play and he was a great player, but then so was Davies.  When Davies was playing the likes of Kelvin Skerrett, Andy Platt, Barrie Mac, and Kevin Ward took few prisoners.  Davies has nothing to prove for me.

I think it is difficult to compare the quality of star players over different generations through the history of the game. I saw quite a few of the players mentioned and am in awe at the team(s) they could have made. 

I agree with the comment about 'hating' the best players in other sides. Of course it did not apply when those players joined your own club!

I hate Billy Slater, I think he's a cocky so and so, can't see him ever playing for Fev either so I can keep up my hate campaign :)

Only saw the start of the programme, seems a very decent bloke, but had to smile when the commentator said something along the lines of  'Davis was working in a quarry when he joined (Neath?), but then got a job with a local firm that were more sympathetic to the needs of a rugby player who played in an amateur game'   ;)  

maybe too much in common. A lot of the dynamics of welshy rugby is getting one over the snobby English, the perception of English rugby union being posh helps rather then hinders welsh rugby.

I very much enjoyed this. I didn't see it when it was originally broadcast, so well done to the BBC for repeating it.

I remember seeing him in hist first RU career - skinny as a rake, but he certainly had 'something' about him. Then his performance in the WCC against Canberra, when he took a massive high shot but kept his composure. And, of course that try against the Kangaroos.

Top player and, from all reports, top man.