Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wirral Warrior

RL Needs Glass Half-Full Mentality

39 posts in this topic

The game has disenfranchised many of the hardcore in recent years, I hope we can reverse that soon by re-engaging non SL clubs in the heartlands.

I sit in the 'totally p'd off with how the game is run' section, having previously organised coach fulls to travel to Internationals and other big games. I am sort of 'if the barstewards don't give a t0$$ about me why should I etc' and that is so wrong when the sport has been such a big part of my life for over 40 years, I hope strategy changes and I can buy into the new vision just as strongly as the current vision has driven me away from all but my club.

I will probably take in 3/4 games including opening and final, I have yet to buy tickets to an event that a decade ago I would have at least 50 mates booked on for a Cardiff weekend and probably 2/3 coaches to the final - come on RFL ignite the passion again because in real life my glass is always half full and deep down I really believe this can be the making of RL

The game has disenfranchised many of the hardcore in recent years, I hope we can reverse that soon by re-engaging non SL clubs in the heartlands.

I sit in the 'totally p'd off with how the game is run' section, having previously organised coach fulls to travel to Internationals and other big games. I am sort of 'if the barstewards don't give a t0$$ about me why should I etc' and that is so wrong when the sport has been such a big part of my life for over 40 years, I hope strategy changes and I can buy into the new vision just as strongly as the current vision has driven me away from all but my club.

I will probably take in 3/4 games including opening and final, I have yet to buy tickets to an event that a decade ago I would have at least 50 mates booked on for a Cardiff weekend and probably 2/3 coaches to the final - come on RFL ignite the passion again because in real life my glass is always half full and deep down I really believe this can be the making of RL

It's largely although to be fair not entirely because of clubs like yours that changes had to be made

Are you saying the old system that nearly destroyed your club and the professional game along with it was a success for the game?

If you aren't interested in the game beyond your own blinkered self serving desires that's fine it's your leisure time

But this 'nobody cares about us poor victims its so unfair and unjust' carry on is passé, pathetic, untrue and oh so dreary

That's sad. It a shame to lose all that drive and energy. We have to recognise though, that things can never be as the were and that change is inevitable, especially when forced/sourced by external  drivers.

Accepting and handling change is not necessarily easy for any of us, but in my view it is important to recognise that changes in our game are generally an attempt to adapt to changing circumstances in the wider world...things that the game can have no control over: long term economic and demographic changes, new technologies, broadcasting, how people spend their money,  where and how people live and move around for work and leisure. Ignoring these things won't make them go away.

Fev, Leigh, Fax can fight as much as they like, and good for them, too. The results, though, will in my view be at best marginal....enough to build a sustainable platform but not enough to challenge the fundamental truths of life in the 21st century. They will not be able to resist the overwhelming changes that have swept through the country over the last 30 -40 years

As for being disenfranchised: as we never had a vote in the past, how can we have been disenfranchised?

The international game use to be much stronger but people just got bored of seeing us getting beat by the Aussies every time. Coupled with the fact we always tried to contain the instead of beat them case in point is the fact we always play forwards at half back.

The international game use to be much stronger but people just got bored of seeing us getting beat by the Aussies every time. Coupled with the fact we always tried to contain the instead of beat them case in point is the fact we always play forwards at half back.

Roughyheed, where the attendances for internationals against the Aussies consistently high when GB were more successful against them? 

Very much so. Wembley would have regular 60 70k

what do you mean?

Very much so. Wembley would have regular 60 70k

When?

The problem is that the mentality seems to go like this:

'I aren't going to (insert RL game) because we will lose.'

Or if winning. ...

'I aren't going we will definitely win, what's the point?

The problem is that the mentality seems to go like this:

'I aren't going to (insert RL game) because we will lose.'

Or if winning. ...

'I aren't going we will definitely win, what's the point?

It's the same problem they have in Oz with State of Origin. People just aren't interested in it anymore, now that Queensland win it every year. I mean interest in NSW has just dropped off year after year  :D

Although to be fair I can understand people not getting their hopes up or just giving up against the Aussies.

Although to be fair I can understand people not getting their hopes up or just giving up against the Aussies.

But imagine how you'd feel if we did beat the Aussies and you couldn't be bothered to make the effort to be there! By all accounts these things only come round every 40 years or so.

But imagine how you'd feel if we did beat the Aussies and you couldn't be bothered to make the effort to be there! By all accounts these things only come round every 40 years or so.

Ah but I will be there. .just in case.

This one's drifted (sadly) off its opening positive topic a bit. And as there are loads of other moany threads covering similar ground elsewhere, I'm locking this one.