Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

weloveyouwakefield2

Super League Restructure Discussion (Many Merged Threads)

738 posts in this topic

1, I think fans of Championship clubs are the best judge of that, and many if not the majority of them don't think licensing has been the best thing to happen to them.

2, Being promoted based on winning games or being relegated for not winning games is a much clearer path to SL and from it. Clubs have gone bust pre and post licensing. The argument about bankrupting themselves to achieve promotion doesn't really stack up. Leigh nearly went belly up last year and this year, and there isn't any promotion. Salford, Wakefield and Bradford went the same way...and this was with licensing.

1. I've seen my club promoted under P&R and its a rubbish system. If championship fans think otherwise they have a VERY short memory.

2. A hell of a lot more clubs went pop trying to achieve promotion or stave off relegation though. And those clubs you mention were better able to attract a new backer and rebalance themselves because they knew they would have a grace period afforded by licensing

All three would have sunk without licensing, simple as that.

And prior to that look at Widnes who beggared themselves to win promotion, had Cas failed to win promotion it would have been them who went bust instead.

Before that Leigh ruined themselves for one shot at the big leagues (and compare them to Widnes' fortunes under licensing!)

The present system rewards well run businesses AND teams that can perform on the field.

Moreover it promoted youth development over journeymen players, infrastructure improvement over quick term boosts etc etc

And ultimately, whatever happened I'm certain the club I follow will be fine - so I'm not saying this to protect my own teams interests (fwiw if the 8x8x8 goes ahead I think the Giants will go from strength to strength)

Difficult to say Chris until we know which system it's going to be. My hope is that the game as a whole will benefit, not just Featherstone Rovers. A revised distribution of funding across the divisions will be a good starting point.

I'm not sure what you mean

the only divisions, as far as I'm aware are the championship and championship 1: are you referring to the co-op money?

one would have thought that the elite competition should get the most if not all the money, since that is what the money is paid for. If they have less money becayuse of this redistribution of wealth then wont the best players leave the country or play union? We're already seeing both of these things happen

my worry, in fact my fear is that whatever system we have will;

preclude the admission of Toulouse

serve up an elite competition with Castleford, wakefield and Featherstone in it and the ghettoisation of the game that it would represent: now that would be boring.

Ghettoisation ? Is that a real word ?

it is now

1. I've seen my club promoted under P&R and its a rubbish system. If championship fans think otherwise they have a VERY short memory.

2. A hell of a lot more clubs went pop trying to achieve promotion or stave off relegation though. And those clubs you mention were better able to attract a new backer and rebalance themselves because they knew they would have a grace period afforded by licensing

And prior to that look at Widnes who beggared themselves to win promotion, had Cas failed to win promotion it would have been them who went bust instead.

Before that Leigh ruined themselves for one shot at the big leagues (and compare them to Widnes' fortunes under licensing!)

The present system rewards well run businesses AND teams that can perform on the field.

Moreover it promoted youth development over journeymen players, infrastructure improvement over quick term boosts etc etc

And ultimately, whatever happened I'm certain the club I follow will be fine - so I'm not saying this to protect my own teams interests (fwiw if the 8x8x8 goes ahead I think the Giants will go from strength to strength)

Which clubs haven't benefited from promotion?

Which clubs are struggling maintaining a licence?

1, I think fans of Championship clubs are the best judge of that, and many if not the majority of them don't think licensing has been the best thing to happen to them.

2, Being promoted based on winning games or being relegated for not winning games is a much clearer path to SL and from it. Clubs have gone bust pre and post licensing. The argument about bankrupting themselves to achieve promotion doesn't really stack up. Leigh nearly went belly up last year and this year, and there isn't any promotion. Salford, Wakefield and Bradford went the same way...and this was with licensing.

damn those luddites........

RL 2105 - who moved the cheese?

I agree. Cant understand those people who want the game to remain the same rather than evolve into a new exciting competion. Luddites indeed.

best post of the entire thread.

I agree. Cant understand those people who want the game to remain the same rather than evolve into a new exciting competion. Luddites indeed.

evolution is supposed to go forwards not backwards

you mean return to the bad old days of or bust..........

evolution is supposed to go forwards not backwards

This will take the game forward. If they decide to go with it.

1970s

The game dramatically restructured itself

The clubs not in the top flight were cut adrift as slowly but surely got further and further away from being able to compete in any way with those teams in the top of the game

The game dramatically restructured itself

Those clubs not in the new Superleague were cut adrift as slowly but surely got further and further away from being able to compete in any way with those teams in the top of the game

The game is poised to dramatically restructure itself

Can you tell what's going to happen?

licensing is the greatest thing to have happened to our game. every club has a chance to win a super league license if they are prepared to grasp the nettle and build a club from bottom upwards, rather than just being concerned how many trophies they can win. the development of young players in this country is at the best level it has been for years, because clubs have stability and are able to produce youngsters through the academy system, rather than filling the team with journeymen to attempt to stave off relegation.

this season has seen the most competetive super league since it was formed, we teams like huddersfield challenging for honours with a team of virtually all british players, we see sthelens in 8th place we have witnessed the rise of warrington into a major force in the game, catalans have began to develop more home grown players and london broncos have the majority of their team from britain rather than being the antipodean retirement home of the past. every club can achieve success given stability........

No I don't.

[/quote

of course it will........it failed in the past and it will fail again.

No I don't.

[/quote

of course it will........it failed in the past and it will fail again.

The 8/8/8 split format hasn't been tried in Rugby League has it?

No but we tried an 8 team league and it was rubbish.

It's no different to the playoffs. are you saying they are rubbish as well now?

licensing is the greatest thing to have happened to our game. every club has a chance to win a super league license if they are prepared to grasp the nettle and build a club from bottom upwards, rather than just being concerned how many trophies they can win. the development of young players in this country is at the best level it has been for years, because clubs have stability and are able to produce youngsters through the academy system, rather than filling the team with journeymen to attempt to stave off relegation.

this season has seen the most competetive super league since it was formed, we teams like huddersfield challenging for honours with a team of virtually all british players, we see sthelens in 8th place we have witnessed the rise of warrington into a major force in the game, catalans have began to develop more home grown players and london broncos have the majority of their team from britain rather than being the antipodean retirement home of the past. every club can achieve success given stability........

Which is why we don't have an influx of over paid Aussies, every club has produced a string of international class youngsters and no club has had financial difficulties at all......I agree.

Apart from the number it's different in every conceivable way

Hth

If it was no different to the playoffs then why are you dissatisfied? You've already got what you want

If it was no different to the playoffs then why are you dissatisfied? You've already got what you want

How we get to winner and the losers will be completely different. As you well know.

Oh and by the way... I haven't noticed you asking fans of clubs such as Widnes, Wakefield, Lobdon if they are against the change through their own self interest. a just an observation.