Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

weloveyouwakefield2

Super League Restructure Discussion (Many Merged Threads)

738 posts in this topic

Which is why we don't have an influx of over paid Aussies, every club has produced a string of international class youngsters and no club has had financial difficulties at all......I agree.

Well we are producing quality players and they are providing an influx to the NRL

Clubs have fewer opportunities to impale themselves financially on the spike of auto prom on a frequent and regular basis including yours which was all but destroyed by it.

The 8/8/8 split format hasn't been tried in Rugby League has it?

The 8/8/8 split format hasn't been tried in Rugby League has it?

tried in football and failed miserably.........

tried in football and failed miserably.........

That's football. They don't like change much. We as a game embrace change.

Has football tried it or did they reject it beforehand?

1970s

The game dramatically restructured itself

The clubs not in the top flight were cut adrift as slowly but surely got further and further away from being able to compete in any way with those teams in the top of the game

The game dramatically restructured itself

Those clubs not in the new Superleague were cut adrift as slowly but surely got further and further away from being able to compete in any way with those teams in the top of the game

The game is poised to dramatically restructure itself

Can you tell what's going to happen?

A form of insanity?

You didn't answer my questions BTW.

Which teams didn't benefit from promotion?

Which teams may suffer (I paraphrase) trying to maintain a licence?

I think they did in Belgium

A form of insanity?

You didn't answer my questions BTW.

Which teams didn't benefit from promotion?

Which teams may suffer (I paraphrase) trying to maintain a licence?

Who didn't benefit from promotion:

Huddersfield

Widnes

Castleford

Leigh

Who may suffer trying to maintain a licence:

No one.

Who has benefitted from the licence system:

Huddersfield

Hull KR

Widnes

Bradford

Wakefield

Castleford

Salford

Featherstone

Catalans

Rugby league is a professional sport run by amateurs and as a fan from a non-heartland area, it's depressing to see. It appears the sport is about to shoot itself in the foot with this proposed new structure.

I am all in favour of licensing but the system needs at least a decade to bed down. That doesn't mean we pull up the drawbridge for evermore. I think there should be 2 leagues of 12 with 2 teams from France from 2015 onwards (ie Toulouse joining les Catalans) with Toulouse protected for at least one year and one up/one down, perhaps on the basis of the bottom side playing off against the highest placing Championship team who attains a minimum score under the licensing criteria. Clearly some of the criteria would have to be compulsorily met whereas others could be enforced slightly less stringently.

There will never be a professional rugby league side where I live as Ulster are just too entrenched but I hope London can remain and that the game is not confined to the M62 corridor. Perhaps clubs outside the heartlands could be given slight advantages - they may already be, which I am unaware of.

Whatever the size of the league (12 or 14), there should only be 5 teams in the play-offs.

As for play-offs in Belgium, my analysis can be found here (with a link to the system as well):

http://www.benefoot.net/belgiums-play-offs-what-are-they-for/

How we get to winner and the losers will be completely different. As you well know.

Oh and by the way... I haven't noticed you asking fans of clubs such as Widnes, Wakefield, Lobdon if they are against the change through their own self interest. a just an observation.

why would I?

they aren't the ones, as you say, who are wanting this system changed.

would you still be in favour if it didn't suit your club?

Who didn't benefit from promotion:

Huddersfield

Widnes

Castleford

Leigh

Who may suffer trying to maintain a licence:

No one.

Who has benefitted from the licence system:

Huddersfield

Hull KR

Widnes

Bradford

Wakefield

Castleford

Salford

Featherstone

Catalans

you can add Oldham, halifax, Rochdale, Swinton and probably more to that first group

Well we are producing quality players and they are providing an influx to the NRL

Clubs have fewer opportunities to impale themselves financially on the spike of auto prom on a frequent and regular basis including yours which was all but destroyed by it.

Again, Oldham had enjoyed a consistent spell in the top flight, P&R had nothing at all to do with their demise. Get your facts right.

Again, Oldham had enjoyed a consistent spell in the top flight, P&R had nothing at all to do with their demise. Get your facts right.

what!?

check your club's history

they were even a disaster in SL

why would I?

they aren't the ones, as you say, who are wanting this system changed.

would you still be in favour if it didn't suit your club?

So you agree they are only voting against it as it doesn't suit their club?

it is now

Brilliant ! Well, it's fooled spellcheck.

No but we tried an 8 team league and it was rubbish.

To be fair, these 8 team leagues need to be seen as part of the play-offs, not divisions.

Not that that makes it a better plan, imho.

the swiss league tried it and it was a spectacular flop

one day someone will come up with a bright idea and stop tinkering with the game and let it settle and prosper.

the swiss league tried it and it was a spectacular flop

But your alright Jack.

Do you think our current ridiculous licensing would flourish in English soccer, where no clubs are promoted by right, and one gets picked out of a hat every three years by a faceless panel?

what!?

check your club's history

they were even a disaster in SL

Oldham were quite a succesful top tier club in the 1980s. I recall them getting to a few semis

But your alright Jack.

Do you think our current ridiculous licensing would flourish in English soccer, where no clubs are promoted by right, and one gets picked out of a hat every three years by a faceless panel?

Because that's exactly what happens isn't it.

Look at it this way, under the 888 system Leigh will be even further away from the too flight than they are now

But your alright Jack.

no because there is no need for it

it has the wealth and the national spread, and of course the international profile of the most popular sport in the world

Oldham were quite a succesful top tier club in the 1980s. I recall them getting to a few semis

how many times were they p[romoted and relegated during the 20 odd years of auto prom and reg

they can't have been that far behind your club

why did they sell the watersheddings?

how many times were they p[romoted and relegated during the 20 odd years of auto prom and reg

they can't have been that far behind your club

why did they sell the watersheddings?

Nonsense, you really shouldn't pretend to be an authority on things you clearly know nothing about. 2 years into their top flight stint they were debt free (despite the yo yo years you keep jabbering on about) 4 further seasons in the top flight and they had sold Sheddings and went bust. Absolutely sod all to do with P&R.

Re-look at my clubs history? Don't need to - I lived it.

Wasn't it?

Didn't they want to make sure they stayed in Superleague and compete so spent money like water to do it and avoid relegation?

Wasn't it?

Didn't they want to make sure they stayed in Superleague and compete so spent money like water to do it and avoid relegation?

The money from the sale disappeared into a stadium company never to be seen again. The resulting drop in revenue was only ever going to go one way. Was it related to P&R or was it simply financial mismanagement like Bradford Bulls? I'd suggest the latter mate. What it certainly had no relevance to was the 'yo-yo' years which were fabulous times, just brilliant.