Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hindle xiii

21/06/13 - Salford City Reds v St Helens - KO 20:00

Who will win?   10 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Salford City Reds
    • St Helens
    • Draw

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

26 posts in this topic

Referee: G Stokes

Touch Judge: W Turley

Touch Judge: J Cobb

Reserve: A Bentham

Match Commissioner: P Taberner

In Goal: G Towey

In Goal: T Mahar

Time Keeper: I Ollerton

St Helens squad: Paul Wellens, Jordan Turner, Francis Meli, Lance Hohaia, Jonny Lomax, James Roby, Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Tony Puletua, Jon Wilkin, Willie Manu, Anthony Laffranchi, Paul Clough, Josh Jones, Tom Makinson, Joe Greenwood, Alex Walmsley, Jordan Hand, Luke Thompson, Gareth O'Brien.

Salford squad: Jodie Broughton, Ashley Gibson, Martin Gleeson, Lee Gaskell, Danny Williams, Matty Ashurst, Andrew Dixon, Stephen Wild, Wayne Godwin, Shannon McPherson, Jordan James, Adam Neal, Theo Fages, Marc Sneyd, Ryan McGoldrick, Darrell Griffin, Niall Evalds, Adam Walne, Jacob Emmitt.

The most interesting thing about the squads,on first glance,is that the 3 players linked by the press with Salford are all in it - Soliola,though apparently injured.Also,Stu Howarth NOT in the Saints squad while Gaskell appears in the SCR squad following their swap earlier in the season.

No dramatic changes in the SCR squad despite their dramatic non-performance in the last 2 games.Good Oh !

Saints by 16

I would have said so, last season.  This season I'm not confident going into any game, regardless of who is on the team sheet.  Brown is guaranteed to mess it all up and make all our players strangers to one another so I will say that I hope we win but I'm not convinced we will.

Sia is out for up to 10 weeks as he picked up a foot injury playing for the Exiles which will need an operation.

It has been pointed out on the Salford forum that the much maligned Australian pair,Foran and Mauro,are not in the squad.

Nott sure who will be acting half back when Godwin is spelled,but I'm sure the excitement will build nearer kick off. 

I sincerely hope Salford put one over Saints tomorrow night, but I just can't see it happening. God knows, my Salford mates have suffered enough!

Salford could win this one, I'd be surprised if one of saints exiles team members has sobered up, he was a mess Sunday morning in my local gym..... In fact he fell a sleep in the suite / function room

Salford could win this one, I'd be surprised if one of saints exiles team members has sobered up, he was a mess Sunday morning in my local gym..... In fact he fell a sleep in the suite / function room

We only had two players in the Exiles team and one is out for up to 10 weeks.  The other one doesn't do a whole lot generally anyway so we probably wouldn't miss him!

We only had two players in the Exiles team and one is out for up to 10 weeks.  The other one doesn't do a whole lot generally anyway so we probably wouldn't miss him!

We would. We tend to miss a lot of tackles. :(

Just about to set off. Full of fear and trepidation.

Well, the M62 is a beggar of a road. ;)

We could take this, but I doubt it. Ever hopeful, though. The Salford Reds are rising!

Soliola's absence is certainly going to hurt us, I think it's fair to say that he's probably been our best player so far this season.

With Roby and Lomax now in the side and having seen Salford against Wakefield I'm pretty confident that we'll win this.

Salford edging closer. 2 evenly matched teams serving up a good game by the looks of it.

Absolutely delighted with that.  Two wins in a row and managing to rack up a half century should give us some confidence going forward.   

Absolutely delighted with that.  Two wins in a row and managing to rack up a half century should give us some confidence going forward.   

Salford gave up though.  We shouldn't get overly carried away with that win.  We've already lost twice to HKR this season and so next week will give us a better idea of whether we have improved.

What to make of that?

Positives. The first half was a massive improvement on last time. The team got a standing ovation as they left the field, despite being down on the scoreboard. They tackled well, they looked organised and I was even daring to think we could win the game. At 50 minutes, we were still in it, but the tide was clearly on the turn.

Negatives. The next 15 to 20 minutes were the stuff of horror movies. We just stopped doing the basics, tackling, clamping the ball, etc. Once Saints had breathing space, they turned on the style - not the Saints of old, but confident and flamboyant enough to turn a close game into a blowout in 20 minutes.

Overall. A better effort than last time and many fans did stay to give the team some applause at the end, unlike the abuse they got last time. I can't wait for this season to end. I can't get to many more fixtures due to holidays, but should make HKR and Widnes, possibly Catalans and Castleford. Looking forward to 2014, though.

The try scored by Turner in the 2nd half was something else!

Salford are still failing to do the basics, why play Gaskell at fullback he is obviously poor in defence. His open play kicking was  vast improvement though.

The Saints fan sat next to me thought the score was harsh but not me, we allowed a number of tries to be scored without putting a hand on the attacker.

Will also be glad to see the back of the season