Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

l'angelo mysterioso

RFL Leadership

147 posts in this topic

It is what it is and there is not a lot the fans can do about it.

Not the Wigan defeat (not sure where terrywebbisgod got that from but I guess it best suits his paper thin argument) - the RFL back-track from licensing and general indecision and lack of leadership shown regarding future league structures.

To mimic someone else on here as well....Just to be clear, I have gone to a fair few games since re-engaging with Rovers in about 2008. Away games mainly but also the odd home game when back in Hull visiting. I'm an advocate of live rugby league. But not when the sport is in the indecisive shambles of present.

Not the Wigan defeat (not sure where terrywebbisgod got that from but I guess it best suits his paper thin argument) - the RFL back-track from licensing and general indecision and lack of leadership shown regarding future league structures.

To mimic someone else on here as well....Just to be clear, I have gone to a fair few games since re-engaging with Rovers in about 2008. Away games mainly but also the odd home game when back in Hull visiting. I'm an advocate of live rugby league. But not when the sport is in the indecisive shambles of present.

Right,paper thin argument,oh dear.I think I'll leave it to the so called "experts".Enjoy the thread.

Right,paper thin argument,oh dear.I think I'll leave it to the so called "experts".Enjoy the thread.

Would this better constitute a "meltdown", perhaps?

Would this better constitute a "meltdown", perhaps?

Rather than the melodramatic statement you made originally.What is your solution to the problem you think exists.So far all you have suggested is aping the NRL.How can this be acheived for a minority sport in the UK.Please enlighten me.

Where is Maurice when we need him?. True visionary, recognised by Aus as a real powerbroker, no coincidence Wigan dominance and almost competitive GB side.

Aping the NRL would be good. They are better than us in all respects.

And the more Origin games I watch on Premier, the more I think: just get the Aussies in here, now..today..this very minute... to review, advise, and drive the necessary changes, which are not structural in my view but cultural almost. If Woods and co are not good enough, then lets have an Aussie leader, too.

Where is Maurice when we need him?. True visionary, recognised by Aus as a real powerbroker, no coincidence Wigan dominance and almost competitive GB side.

He tried to get the game to radically change over to one elite professional league with as many of the resources as possible into that league with no two clubs fighting for the same fans and players.

Easy to berate him because his hopes of RL being adopted by sports investors in big cities and new places, didn't come off (he never said they would).

But his leadership was fundamentally rejected as the clubs grabbed the TV money to to keep the old village set up alive. Who would want to lead a game that will not be led into the 21st. Century.

The breakdown of Superleague with the resultant crutch of letting the top 8 have their own competition whilst "championshipising" half a dozen SL clubs who won't play ball, as a sop to the last few vestiges of independant championship clubs, is leadership at it's weakest.

But perhaps Mr. Wood is aware that now the game can't even get a leading sponsor, his resignation may leave the game without any leader at all. Who would want to inherit the mess we have?

I don't often post and don't profess to know all of the answers and I hate sounding negative but I've had enough.

I've had enough of the outright lies from the RFL, call it spin if you will but I don't, (the debacle of northampton rebels and the following lies by Ralph Rimmer are my personal gripe) of which there are many.

I've had enough of the mockery the sport endures as a result of poor leadership decisions. The duel reg / stobart / licensing fiascos are just the tip of the iceberg.

I'm furious that the sport England money was wasted in jobs for pals and junior participation is going backward at a rate of knots with the extinction of community coach's.

I'm embarrassed that the World Cup hasn't even sorted regarding sponsorship and marketing yet.

I don't even know / understand what the hell these two are now trying to do with the restructure of SL but I'm convinced its not for the good of the game.

If I the average fan would like to start a motion to rid the game of the two people who in my opinion are taking the game to the point of extinction where would I start? Are there any RL fans who know enough about the by-laws of the RFL where I could start to make my case and move forward? Would anyone want to help?

Now I realise that I could be on a deluded one man crusade but I don't think I am. I talk to people who are directly employed by the RFL (whom I genuinely believe have no agenda) I talk to long suffering fans, I even talk to long serving referees, they all say the same thing, there is no confidence in these two people and good people are walking away from the game, but unless someone does something about it we will only have ourselves to blame.

I'm a stalwart of RL, it's in my blood and part of my history. One thing this sport has taught me is that this is the people's game and IMO these two aren't for the sport or for the people. At best they are inept at worst they're agents for the RFU (I've genuinely considered that crazy notion.) either way they are stealing a living.

I'm not here to debate their pro's and cons, I've just had enough, I don't feel safe in the knowledge that I'll be able to take my kids to a game in 20 years and hence my outrage.

Can anyone / does anyone want to help? We shouldn't have to put up with this ######, they are treating the people of this sport like idiots. if the RL was its own country I've had protested on the street by now.

The Northampton debacle just about sums up the RFL at the moment. After everything the game went through with PSG, Crusaders and Gateshead you would think that all contingencies had been considered and the application thought through like any pro organisation would've. But to make the same mistake again so quickly after the last doesn't instil confidence.

I'm with you I have no confidence in this lot and their proposals to revamp SL don't even address the core issues of the sport in Europe.

The Northampton debacle just about sums up the RFL at the moment. After everything the game went through with PSG, Crusaders and Gateshead you would think that all contingencies had been considered and the application thought through like any pro organisation would've. But to make the same mistake again so quickly after the last doesn't instil confidence.

I'm with you I have no confidence in this lot and their proposals to revamp SL don't even address the core issues of the sport in Europe.

the Northampton situation wasnt anything like the otger 3 so you could say they did learn from those and decided new clubs should go through the ranks rather than being thrust into SL.

Whils it was disappointing that Northampton didnt make it, are there no positives from All Golds, Hemel and Oxford?

If we are being balanced then they would get credit for successes too surely?

I could go into depth about how the Rebels franchise came about (literally a phone call to the football club saying do you want some bums on seats in the summer and a fee ability study written by a local amateur RL enthusiast) and how from their collapse Oxford was rushed through. But this isn't about that.

I'd like to know how I can bring about change.

the Northampton situation wasnt anything like the otger 3 so you could say they did learn from those and decided new clubs should go through the ranks rather than being thrust into SL.

Whils it was disappointing that Northampton didnt make it, are there no positives from All Golds, Hemel and Oxford?

If we are being balanced then they would get credit for successes too surely?

It has everything to do with the other 3

It has everything to do with the other 3

haven't people been saying expansion should happen from the bottom. Using examples of three clubs thrust into SL ultimately before they were ready is not the same thing at all.

Wood must go, it's getting like emperor Nero with the back coming from him

Bring in an independant businessman, Christ, even go get David gallop

I think the RFL needs restructuring and moving to Manchester (if not London) as it is the real second city in England. More money needs spending on marketing and PR (yes PR) with each club losing a % of the Sky to pay for it, not including Catalans or London (or Toulouse when they join).

I think the RFL needs restructuring and moving to Manchester (if not London) as it is the real second city in England. More money needs spending on marketing and PR (yes PR) with each club losing a % of the Sky to pay for it, not including Catalans or London (or Toulouse when they join).

ALL super league clubs should pay equally, you can't have 12 out of 14 clubs contributing and the other 2 getting the same benefits for no outlay......

Wood and Rimmer have proved themselves incompetent and incapable of running the RFL and the stakeholders in the game should have a mechanism by which they can hold these two accountable for their mismanagement.

We are lurching from embarassment to ridicule and back again with these two seemingly oblivious to the damage they're causing.

Get rid and headhunt someone who has proven themselves to be capable of running an NGB before the damage condemns us frever

the only major sports league in britain without a sponsor not to mention the world cup!!.....................i rest my case.

Wood must go, it's getting like emperor Nero with the back coming from him

Bring in an independant businessman, Christ, even go get David gallop

David Gallop is Chief executive of the Football Federation Australia.

​Australia just successfully qualified for next years World Cup.

David Gallop is Chief executive of the Football Federation Australia.

​Australia just successfully qualified for next years World Cup.

I'm failing to see your point

the only major sports league in britain without a sponsor not to mention the world cup!!.....................i rest my case.

exactly!!!!! its an absolute embarrassment that a major sport in the uk cant get a sponsor.

who's fault is that??

C'MON :sclerosis: