Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

l'angelo mysterioso

RFL Leadership

147 posts in this topic

at last, honest to god my heart aches with what is being done to the game i love.

Has anybody ever been happy with anybody we have had?

There is a fair bit of support for Lewis on here, but there is also some people who pretty much think he is the anti-christ.

Interestingly I had a conversation with Lewis at a Magic Weekend in Cardiff a few years back, and he couldn't speak highly enough of Wood.

the only major sports league in britain without a sponsor not to mention the world cup!!.....................i rest my case.

what do you mean 'not to mention the world cup'. In what way are you not happy with what Wood and Rimmer have done with the WC?

what do you mean 'not to mention the world cup'. In what way are you not happy with what Wood and Rimmer have done with the WC?

It doesn't have a sponsor either!!

It doesn't have a sponsor either!!

They have announced that they probably won't have a title sponsor, like the 2008 one, which wasn't organised by the RFL.

Pretty much like every other sport's World Cup too.

I'm not having a dig but I am curious to know are Mr Wood and Mr Rimmer answerable to anyone?

To whom do they have to justify their actions.

I'm not having a dig but I am curious to know are Mr Wood and Mr Rimmer answerable to anyone?

To whom do they have to justify their actions.

I would assume that the clubs can give a vote of no-confidence? Not sure though.

I am at work and have been since 7pm but seem to have spent most of the time so far arguing on here. Let's hope they don't start a similar thread about me :D

The thing that I dont understand is that Nigel Wood says SL is struggling to sustain 14 teams and then provides a 'solution' which involves 24 teams and requires all or most of those to be competitive in order for the system to work.

The thing that I dont understand is that Nigel Wood says SL is struggling to sustain 14 teams and then provides a 'solution' which involves 24 teams and requires all or most of those to be competitive in order for the system to work.

Indeed

The 12 into 8 x 3 thing is totally LUDICROUS

He tried to get the game to radically change over to one elite professional league with as many of the resources as possible into that league with no two clubs fighting for the same fans and players.

Easy to berate him because his hopes of RL being adopted by sports investors in big cities and new places, didn't come off (he never said they would).

But his leadership was fundamentally rejected as the clubs grabbed the TV money to to keep the old village set up alive. Who would want to lead a game that will not be led into the 21st. Century.

The breakdown of Superleague with the resultant crutch of letting the top 8 have their own competition whilst "championshipising" half a dozen SL clubs who won't play ball, as a sop to the last few vestiges of independant championship clubs, is leadership at it's weakest.

But perhaps Mr. Wood is aware that now the game can't even get a leading sponsor, his resignation may leave the game without any leader at all. Who would want to inherit the mess we have?

He would have thrown away the baby with the bathwater. Small town Wigan was never on his hit list. He would have had a small ring fenced league and the rest of the game would have withered and died.

The record of expansion into the big cities is London and Paris. Tell me again how well that went. I would suggest that he was in the right place at the right time when Kerry Packer and Rupert Murdoch began fighting over RL.

Any leader who was in charge if the RL would have been given the same offers he was. Tell me all about the visionary plans he laid out for the future of the game before Murdoch came riding in on his charger from terra australis ?

This triple 8 thing is rubbish and I fear for the future. Far better a return to p and r with safeguards in place. I have no comment on the current leadership. I think it is a mixed bag but spare me the Maurice Lindsay deification. The game, under his sainted leadership, was on it's beam ends before the Murdoch miracle.

...I don't even know / understand what the hell these two are now trying to do with the restructure of SL but I'm convinced its not for the good of the game...

Think that probably says all you need to know about this post. I don't understand it, but I'm sure it's wrong!!!!

As Dave T says, people are now calling for someone like Richard Lewis, who most fans disliked when he was Exec Chairman (he did a great job btw). Whoever is top of the pile will get criticised by many so called fans.

As for criticism of the World Cup, because it's not going to be called the Betfair Rugby League World Cup or some such thing!!!!

If you're not genuinely excited by the RLWC2013, then I think you're on the wrong forum. It's still 4 months away and I just can't wait. But then again I like rugby league, so I would be excited!

if the RFL is making a healthy profit then does it actually matter if the WC has a sponsor ?  Doesn't seem a hanging offence to me...

I have known for years that the game that run through my blood was in desperate trouble and i could rant on for ever about so many issues.

I for one would meet to discuss the future of RL and what we could do about it, it would certainly be a passionate debate!

In addition i worked for a company in London whos ceo was a former Rl player for Cambridge, him and his wife would raise the profile of RL through the roof, they are in there late thirties proven business people and would do wonders for RL

if the RFL is making a healthy profit then does it actually matter if the WC has a sponsor ?  Doesn't seem a hanging offence to me...

Rl is making a pittance of a profit, you need to look at far more than a tiny profit , ever thought that making a significant profit might bring benefits?

When you get the game run by an accountant who gets paid more than the stars of the game something has gone wrong

I have known for years that the game that run through my blood was in desperate trouble and i could rant on for ever about so many issues.

I for one would meet to discuss the future of RL and what we could do about it, it would certainly be a passionate debate!

In addition i worked for a company in London whos ceo was a former Rl player for Cambridge, him and his wife would raise the profile of RL through the roof, they are in there late thirties proven business people and would do wonders for RL

Whoever this guy is, I guarantee you 100% that it would be a matter of weeks until someone was badmouthing him and calling for his head.

If it is only a 'title sponsor' that is missing then I don't think that is a problem. I don't think I want to watch people playing for the john smith's world cup. It'd cheapen it all a bit for me

I wouldn't usually enjoy such threads, but the OP does seem to originate from a love for the game and I can see in it concern for the game rather than the usual club stuff.

I'm very excited about the world cup and have seen little to suggest I shouldn't be. I tend to think they should roll the dice a bit and promote the hell out of it in these next three months, but that might well be the plan. However, I won't believe any guff about how many tickets have been sold until I see the people sitting in the grounds, because I've fallen for that before.

As for the 3 x 8 idea, I hate it and think the 'discussion' so far hasn't even scratched at the surface of the negatives - for the competition, for the clubs and for the international team, for the Challenge Cup etc. Someone suggested that the idea was being pushed so that 2 x 12 with P&R would become more attractive; well, it's working on me because I'd much prefer that to a system which we won't keep for more than a couple of years.

I've been following the game since 1957 and let me assure you, it has ALWAYS been in trouble,that club managements were ALWAYS rubbish,  that whoever was in charge has ALWAYS been incompetent, that the big clubs have ALWAYS shafted the small clubs, that the big league has ALWAYS shafted the little league, that crowds were ALWAYS bigger then compared with now, etc etc.  

There was a period between about 1985 and 1995 (roughly) where the game was finally  dragging itself out of the mire like some primordial life form: some level of improved international competitiveness, growing crowds crowd for some internationals, increased general  media coverage,  club managements at Leeds, Wigan, Saints etc who knew what it was all about. But even these clubs found it hard to make ends meet given the amount of money clubs needed to move the game forward . That why the Sky deal and the Sky money was so vital and they why the games top brokers such as Maurice were such a force for good.

Hetherington apart these seems to be no one in the game strong enough to rescue it from the forces trying to drag it back into obscurity.

( Note: exaggeration for dramatic effect only)

I wouldn't usually enjoy such threads, but the OP does seem to originate from a love for the game and I can see in it concern for the game rather than the usual club stuff.

I'm very excited about the world cup and have seen little to suggest I shouldn't be. I tend to think they should roll the dice a bit and promote the hell out of it in these next three months, but that might well be the plan. However, I won't believe any guff about how many tickets have been sold until I see the people sitting in the grounds, because I've fallen for that before.

As for the 3 x 8 idea, I hate it and think the 'discussion' so far hasn't even scratched at the surface of the negatives - for the competition, for the clubs and for the international team, for the Challenge Cup etc. Someone suggested that the idea was being pushed so that 2 x 12 with P&R would become more attractive; well, it's working on me because I'd much prefer that to a system which we won't keep for more than a couple of years.

I don't think there is any doubt that the World Cup is a very exciting proposition and I bought tickets for a number of matches so far (with more to come). You are right to doubt the RFL Press Releases as I know for a fact that there is a bit of spin with at least one of them. However, it does look like ticket sales, especially for Cardiff and Manchester, are going very well.

However, I tend to agree with the OP about Wood and Rimmer. It is being highlighted by a few posters that the RFL make a profit, which is of course good news. But are the RFL under this leadership maximising its potential in regards to revenue? Certainly not. But the profit/loss making abilities of the RFL aren't the crux of the issue in my opinion and the OP does mention it. The real issue is the long term implications of the decisions made by this leadership regime. Participation is falling dramatically in a number of areas and this will have huge implications on the game in the near future. The current Academy structures are hammering the youth and junior games so falling participation is going to cause even more issues. But for some reason, this RFL regime can't see this and have made some awful decisions, largely as they only look at the top tier of the professional game.

Of course, falling participation isn't the only issue, which has been a factor of this regime. No SL sponsorship, dual registration, Crusaders debacle etc etc are just a few of the legacy issues in this regimes tenure. Another poster mentioned accountability; it is pretty certain to me that there is no real accountability of the RFL hierarchy as they'd have lost their jobs a long time ago in the real world if decisions like this had been made, unless of course, you are an RFL employee who looks after the SL clubs as your priority...

The game in England drastically needs new direction at the top. It doesn't have to be a new Lewis. But it does have to be someone who doesn't put the whims of the SL clubs at the top of their priorities. They need to look at the wider game, especially the Community game, which is the foundations of this great game of ours.

So there a few people that agree, Rimmer and Wood are not doing their job (a company director would have been sacked years ago for such bad management)

I appreciate there is always someone in the firing line but the lies and inconceivable poor decisions are killing the game. I'm looking at a grass roots level, the participation at the junior level in th emidlands has taken a massive hammering in just one year.

How do we go about removing them?

I'm afraid its not up to you. Nor should it be. Do you actually have any evidence that the participation at the junior level in the midlands has taken a massive hammering in just one year?  If it is true, do you have any evidence that it is anything the RFL have done or not done under Woods leadership that is responsible?

It might be worth a little thought before joining the miserable  ill-informed personal anti-Woods KKK-style witch-hunt, don't you think?

I thought David Gallop would be a good for the English RL but then he went off to head bloody Australian soccer - and he's doing a pretty good job of it …

Maybe John Quayle could be called in …

Indeed

The 12 into 8 x 3 thing is totally LUDICROUS

Can you explain why it is ludicrous?

The current system is ludicrous and is slowly killing off the game outside SL and at the bottom of SL