Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Martyn Sadler

Rugby League told to play to its strengths ... but World Cup still waiting for sponsors

115 posts in this topic

There are plenty of opportunities out there for RL, they just need the right people with the right amount of knowledge to realise that. At the moment we don't have those key people in those key positions.

Exactly. One would have had an audience of a couple of hundred thousand while the other probably had an audience of tens of millions. Sponsors aren't particularly interested in the actual action on the field/court, they are more concerned about the exposure it brings their brand. We offer minimal exposure compared to other sports, hence why we struggle to attract blue chip sponsors. If you have £1m to spend on sponsorship you're going to get much more value from a small logo on a F1 car than you are from being the headline sponsor of SL or the RLWC.

We get bigger audiences than a lot of sports. Yet they get decent sponsorship. ..it has to be down to perception, at least a lot of it is.

Look at the way the RFL offer southern based journos free wining and dining at events like the CC Final - yet they still can't be arsed turning up.

This is what we are up against, its not all down to the RFL being useless as plenty seem to think.

We get bigger audiences than a lot of sports. Yet they get decent sponsorship. ..it has to be down to perception, at least a lot of it is.

Look at the way the RFL offer southern based journos free wining and dining at events like the CC Final - yet they still can't be arsed turning up.

This is what we are up against, its not all down to the RFL being useless as plenty seem to think.

What sports get decent sponsorship thet get lower viewing figures than us?

RU, Golf

International sports. 

We may get higher figures for certain comps - but overall, their exposure is far far far in excess of anything we have. 

It would require a fundamental change in the way the media choose to portray the game. What we get is a cocktail of contempt, deliberate dishonesty, condescension or just being ignored altogether. Not even the most rabid keyboard warrior can blame the RFL for not being able to turn that around. Actually, come to think of it, they probably would. :rolleyes:

Absolutely agree. Even if this year's rugby World Cup is a success, I'm half expecting something along the lines of Martin Samuel's hatchet job from the last World Cup here - "and now for a sport no-one cares about - rugby league".

International sports.

We may get higher figures for certain comps - but overall, their exposure is far far far in excess of anything we have.

I am talking about netball etc. They manage to get people like Fiat on board. This isn't a pop at netball either.

I aren't expecting a deal for RL that outstrips the Champions League or whatever but it is worth more than nothing.

Before I got into watching Rugby League (and bearing in mind that I come from a 100% football mad family) I genuinely thought Super League was to the Aviva Premiership what the championship was to the Premier League just from how it was portrayed on tv and in the media.

I am talking about netball etc. They manage to get people like Fiat on board. This isn't a pop at netball either.

I aren't expecting a deal for RL that outstrips the Champions League or whatever but it is worth more than nothing.

But who knows the value of that deal? The fact is that we have got sponsors on board - Heinz, Foxy, Tetleys, Irn Bru, Brut, Kingstone Press, Gillette, Northern Rail, ISC and Rhino are all partners of the RFL.

We do have people interested, but it would appear not prepared to pay for full title rights at the moment. We may be asking £1m when the Netball SL could be getting £100k. 

International sports.

So introduce caveats after the answer?

So introduce caveats after the answer?

No - clumsy post from me - I was saying they are international sports so they get far better coverage than us.

edit: As sports they are both far bigger than RL so whilst we may get some higher figures for some events, those sports overall get massively higher vieiwing figures here and worldwide.

Edited by Dave T

Not every business is global though. There must be plenty of medium sized firms that would be a good fit for SL or RL in general.

Otherwise we are never going to meet all those criteria.

Not every business is global though. There must be plenty of medium sized firms that would be a good fit for SL or RL in general.

Otherwise we are never going to meet all those criteria.

yep - engage for example. Unfortunately it appears to me that in the current climate the companies still investing in sports sponsorship are generally the major companies, an area where rl has never been that great in.

yep - engage for example. Unfortunately it appears to me that in the current climate the companies still investing in sports sponsorship are generally the major companies, an area where rl has never been that great in.

I can well believe that. I just wish people would appreciate this a bit more when claiming the RFL are incompetent. (Which they could be for all I know but it clearly isn't easy)

I can well believe that. I just wish people would appreciate this a bit more when claiming the RFL are incompetent. (Which they could be for all I know but it clearly isn't easy)

yup and this is the point of my posts in the thread tbh.

Absolutely agree. Even if this year's rugby World Cup is a success, I'm half expecting something along the lines of Martin Samuel's hatchet job from the last World Cup here - "and now for a sport no-one cares about - rugby league".

Howsabout this for timing!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2348491/MARTIN-SAMUEL-column-Let-footballs-State-Origin-game-begin-North-versus-South-battle.html

oops wrong thread.

Edited by Viking Warrior

I saw AIG linked the other day on a sponsorship website - have no idea how credible it is though. Was listed alongside Hertz and Marriott.

AIG are I think a partner of the RU Sevens circuit, as are Hertz and Marriott so maybe they are being targeted.

@Dave T

this one?

http://sponsorpitch.com/properties/3754

Would seem a bit strange as they appear to be getting involved in union more and more, and after reading an article on their head of sponsorship, it seems unlikely they'd be interested in getting involved with RL

A mind game:

What do people think a corporate sponsor would be looking for from such sponsorship?

What business case do people think that a marketing manager would have to put forward to get agreement to spend £50K, £500K £5 million a year for say three years?

Waat companies would you approach and why?

Brands i would approach would be the likes of: Red Bull, Subway, Nando's (without doubt!), Coco Vita, Virgin, Duracell, Samsung, Siemens, Nissan, Toyota .. there are loads from all different industries. Brands that could have fun with an involvement with RL.

OK. Pick one or two of those possibles. Why  would they want to sponsor our sport in some way?