Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

del capo

BARLA AGM this weekend

88 posts in this topic

I'm intrigued. You quote a non-existent league that hasn't existed for 25 years as a member of Barla with voting rights, the full facts are highlighted, and this is somehow the RFL's fault? By the way, Carlisle Centurions paid several players in their time in nl3, but they couldn't afford to pay as much as some clubs that were proud to use the superfluous (and incorrect) letterA

I'm intrigued. You quote a non-existent league that hasn't existed for 25 years as a member of Barla with voting rights, the full facts are highlighted, and this is somehow the RFL's fault? By the way, Carlisle Centurions paid several players in their time in nl3, but they couldn't afford to pay as much as some clubs that were proud to use the superfluous (and incorrect) letterA

I can't see where any blame has been allotted to the RFL on this one nec and it looks from reading your last post that you're saying the genuine amateur clubs in your neck of the woods are paying their players.

Tell me were you by any chance connected with these failed RFL development teams.

I can't see where any blame has been allotted to the RFL on this one nec and it looks from reading your last post that you're saying the genuine amateur clubs in your neck of the woods are paying their players.

Tell me were you by any chance connected with these failed RFL development teams.

Genuine amateur clubs paying their players? Oxymoron alert

One of the founder members of Carlisle Centurions who were the fore-runners of East Cumbria Crusaders, currently doing well in north east regional league of rl conference. Not as involved now as we have a 2 month old baby. Family involved with local rl since 1980's?

Yourself?

Genuine amateur clubs paying their players? Oxymoron alert

One of the founder members of Carlisle Centurions who were the fore-runners of East Cumbria Crusaders, currently doing well in north east regional league of rl conference. Not as involved now as we have a 2 month old baby. Family involved with local rl since 1980's?

Yourself?

Just a genuine question not a contradictory statement nec

First played a competitive amateur rugby league game (other than school) in 1972 and for my sins and enthusiasm, played my last competitive game (amateur again having never been near good enough to join the pro ranks) in November 2009 and managing a family in that time.

I've maintained an active interest in the game since then

Sue Taylor from the Pennine League succeeded the Chair today

Well done

The topic thread remains even more relevant now.

Comments ?

Well done

Comments ?

What are your comments Del Capo on the appointment of Sue Taylor?

Your thoughts on this appointment would be as welcome and as interesting as anyone's I would think.

Well done

Comments ?

Not sure what that means for the future of BARLA, but the Pennine League has been one of the best run BARLA comps for several years.

I believe Sue spoke very well and took to task some of the exiting committee and certain areas of the BARLA accounts, it appears she is willing to address some difficult issues immediately, which is a refreshing change when it comes to BARLA.

I wish her well and hope her impact is as progressive as it is positive.

Well done

Comments ?

Blimey Del keep it all on one thread mate,

Blimey Del keep it all on one thread 

Sorry thought I had. Taxi Egg started running on the NCL forum with this  but with very good points.

No idea about Sue Taylor Lord C.

Never knowingly met her but no doubt will. Remain however conscious of Taxi Egg's view of the latest Barla debacle of a meeting.

She seems to have accepted a position of being forced to follow on , but she won't find  an umpire necessarily giving her an even call. Maybe the best she can expect is to bat out  till close of play .........without though getting another offer of a fixture after that.......

Sorry thought I had. Taxi Egg started running on the NCL forum with this  but with very good points.

No idea about Sue Taylor Lord C.

Never knowingly met her but no doubt will. Remain however conscious of Taxi Egg's view of the latest Barla debacle of a meeting.

She seems to have accepted a position of being forced to follow on , but she won't find  an umpire necessarily giving her an even call. Maybe the best she can expect is to bat out  till close of play .........without though getting another offer of a fixture after that.......

Hey you're right Del I've just tracked back on Taxi's post on the NCL forum surely though it's allowed as we're all friends, with differing views maybe, but I suppose with the best interests of the game at heart.

Speaking of games you came out with some real cricketing terms there didn't you. Although not being one to don the white flannels and stroke leather with willow for the first eleven, I seemed to get the message that you were sending as being; Mrs Taylor's term of office will see the end of BARLA - howzat.

Peter ,the NCL would have a league vote had you still been a full member your choice not Barla and the same applies to Yorkshire Juniors .

Today we may have seen a new dawn in Sue,s appointment and wish her well in rebuilding the association, but like I have posted on the NCL forum my biggest fear is the mafia will control her and not the other way round .

For me Barla needs to modernise and drop the district league control on the voting .

I agree with you its the fixture playing leagues that should determine the election of officials but we need to be full members of the association .

What I witnessed today was inept people being elected into positions due to a perverse voting system. ( NEW CHAIR EXCLUDED )

Peter ,the NCL would have a league vote had you still been a full member your choice not Barla and the same applies to Yorkshire Juniors .

For me Barla needs to modernise and drop the district league control on the voting .

I agree with you its the fixture playing leagues that should determine the election of officials but we need to be full members of the association .

Is that a hint that certain youth/junior leagues in Lancashire and Yorkshire would consider full membership with BARLA again in order to achieve this.

Never say never , but there would have to be massive changes to tempt us.

Just to give you something to think about how many youth and junior leagues are still full members ?

Mrs Land was re elected as youth rep today as youth chair when did she last hold a youth and junior meeting ?

How many Y & J forums as she attended representing the association /

Once you find the answers you can then begin to understand why I feel there needs to be changes in the voting systems at Barla so that we get the right people in the right jobs .

Just to give you something to think about how many youth and junior leagues are still full members ?

Mrs Land was re elected as youth rep today as youth chair when did she last hold a youth and junior meeting ?

Once you find the answers you can then begin to understand why I feel there needs to be changes in the voting systems at Barla so that we get the right people in the right jobs .

Can a new voting system be put to a EGM meeting ?

I don't think that I need to use search engines for the answers so I would make an educated guess and just add a big fat zero to the end of your questions and probably hit three bells.

The thing is though why did so many leagues just turn away from the association because from what i see posted on the forums they're not in a good place right now.

There also seems to be a lot of passion from former members on the subject of BARLA so it does seem quite sad that so many leagues turned away - their votes could have made a difference today.

I don't think that I need to use search engines for the answers so I would make an educated guess and just add a big fat zero to the end of your questions and probably hit three bells.

The thing is though why did so many leagues just turn away from the association because from what i see posted on the forums they're not in a good place right now.

There also seems to be a lot of passion from former members on the subject of BARLA so it does seem quite sad that so many leagues turned away - their votes could have made a difference today.

It is the feeling of powerlessness that has alienated the Playing Leagues Nev. The system at Barla is just stacked up against them.

More than 20 years ago the Board  ( Committee in those days ) were asked to become more democratic.  The simple idea was that every TEAM playing the game competitively ( ie over 11 at the time ) had TWO votes , one to be declared through their District league and one to be given via  their Playing league.

If members chose to block vote that would be up to them - the NCL for instance would have reflected any 'split ' according to their internal views - but at least it would have delivered to those working at the coal face as well as bonding the Districts.

Barla were too frightened at the prospect of giving so much power to the Juniors. They were wrong. The Juniors are run by wise heads at club level , and they remain the future of our game. True democracy is the greatest weapon for the amateurs against all outsiders , including the RFL.

Until Barla  modernises itself , talk of 'olive branches ' will be just that........anyone know which way Carlisle ARL voted yesterday ?

In the case of Nwc 8-12s and 13-15s we were both downgraded to associate members by the Board of Management because we were both late in paying our association fees £40 as invoices were sent to the wrong addresses we both offered to pay as soon as it became apparent which the board rejected out of hand .

What did the Association achieve there ?

The 16-18s were taken out of BARLA all together by Hilary because in my opinion the board failed in a disgraceful attempt to discipline Hilary on a ridiculous charge .

All under the control of the outgoing chair , attempts have been made to temp us back but the Board have been unable to offer us anything better that what we have been able to achieve ourselves.

Think about it with us out of the way the board have achieved what ?

And BARLA famously once expelled the NCL  Taxi Egg. I think it was about 2004.  That went down well with the troops ......... :tongue:

Yes you can see by the replies from Taxi Egg and Del Capo that their particular relationships with BARLA were rocky to say the least.

I fully support the ethos of Barla being sport for all,  despite being put in the naughty corner as an association we still administer for the clubs who elect us and always strive to keep them informed .

I do not fully support the RFL purely and simply because their priority is to foster and develop the professional game at the expense of all else despite all their caressing of our EGOs I see beyond all that flannel.

But as an ex shop steward I understand fully the need to negotiate and concede to make gains for the people you represent , the main problem we face at the moment is because we the amateurs do not have a an organisation to do so  on our behalf we are left to fight a massive machine the RFL who are trying to bully us into agreements that are not in the best interest of the clubs we represent, I am hoping that under the new Barla Chair she will address the massive rift within the game try and get ALL the leagues back round the table clear out the deadwood and then ,begin to negotiate with the RFL to protect the best interest of the amateur game .

I live in hope .

Until Barla modernises itself , talk of 'olive branches ' will be just that........anyone know which way Carlisle ARL voted yesterday ?

They abstained due to the minor issue of not existing.

They abstained due to the minor issue of not existing.

CARLA have always paid there's and Carlisles share even though there's no presence in CARLA from Carlisle so as to be able to vote twice unless that changed this time?

I've followed all this and have one question:

Why can it not be the case that CLUBs vote?

I'm absolutely sure the district league approach is out of date but I'm not convinced playing leagues can be representative of all their clubs on many issues while each league is different in size.  I could understand how a system of 'representative voting' emerged some time ago but it's 2013! It's not hard to communicate with EVERY club and to put in place a process and system where clubs actually get a say?   I'd also think that junior and open age sections should have separate votes as it's clear from following these threads that many feel BARLA has not appropriately listened to (or represented) junior rugby concerns.