Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

del capo

BARLA AGM this weekend

88 posts in this topic

I think the first thing that the new Chair should do is to form a steering committee to take an indepth look at how BARLA is currently ran and to speak to the leagues they have left to try and find out where it all went wrong. This could take the form of open forums with regional leagues and their clubs as well as meeting with the respective league management committees.

If BARLA is to rebuild it needs input from the clubs, not just the league management, as in some cases they are as out of touch as the BARLA board have been over the last ten years.

From there they can identify what their role is in the modern game and develop it from there

I've followed all this and have one question:

Why can it not be the case that CLUBs vote?

I'm absolutely sure the district league approach is out of date but I'm not convinced playing leagues can be representative of all their clubs on many issues while each league is different in size.  I could understand how a system of 'representative voting' emerged some time ago but it's 2013! It's not hard to communicate with EVERY club and to put in place a process and system where clubs actually get a say?   I'd also think that junior and open age sections should have separate votes as it's clear from following these threads that many feel BARLA has not appropriately listened to (or represented) junior rugby concerns.

You're probably right.

But each club is different in size as well , which is why I think it should be each team voting instead , to be truly democratic.

But it ain't going to happen. Turkeys don't vote for christmas , especially with £750 k in the Bank......

You're probably right.

But each club is different in size as well , which is why I think it should be each team voting instead , to be truly democratic.

But it ain't going to happen. Turkeys don't vote for christmas , especially with £750 k in the Bank......

Or have a phone consultation just like the RFL (with £29,000,000 of Sport England money) did on summer

Or have a phone consultation just like the RFL (with £29,000,000 of Sport England money) did on summer

To be honest that was more than most NGBs do when they take big decisions. The FA, RFU, EWCB, LTA and others get on with governing the sport from top to bottom - not always all that well, but at least you know who's in charge. Having separate governing bodies is ridiculous, but the only way that this can be resolved once and for all is if the RFL proves that it can governs all aspects of the game equally. I have met people at the RFL who I know have the health of amateur RL at heart, but then again I haven't met people from the performance department, and I've witnessed the actions of professional clubs so the jury is definitely out on that one for me.

Having never been part of BARLA, I and my club watch this stuff from the sidelines and wonder what the heck is going on. BARLA seems to be in complete denial of the true situation and the opportunity to effectively represent the interests of ALL community clubs across the UK seems to be further away than ever.

The £29 million pounds has been spent, and had to be spent on very specific items agreed by Sport England. What is the purpose of BARLA holding that much cash? Why indeed would any playing league hold large amounts of reserve cash?

To be honest that was more than most NGBs do when they take big decisions. The FA, RFU, EWCB, LTA and others get on with governing the sport from top to bottom - not always all that well, but at least you know who's in charge. Having separate governing bodies is ridiculous, but the only way that this can be resolved once and for all is if the RFL proves that it can governs all aspects of the game equally. I have met people at the RFL who I know have the health of amateur RL at heart, but then again I haven't met people from the performance department, and I've witnessed the actions of professional clubs so the jury is definitely out on that one for me.

Having never been part of BARLA, I and my club watch this stuff from the sidelines and wonder what the heck is going on. BARLA seems to be in complete denial of the true situation and the opportunity to effectively represent the interests of ALL community clubs across the UK seems to be further away than ever.

The £29 million pounds has been spent, and had to be spent on very specific items agreed by Sport England. What is the purpose of BARLA holding that much cash? Why indeed would any playing league hold large amounts of reserve cash?

If my livelihood depended on it Tim I'd marry you xxx :elf:

£29 million to buy the NCL & NWC :ph34r:

When the consultation was made we where running two teams and had around 70 players signed on, not one of our players or committee got a phone call, letter or email regarding their thoughts, "Very selective"

You're probably right.

Why should a club with 10 teams have 10 times the voting rights over a pub team, in theory 50% of the NCL could out vote a complete regional league (lets not forget many regional league teams only want a game every week and don't want to be a wannabee professional club.

I was thinking about this today on my way home from Leigh and the problem is a massive one, it could probably be related to the problem to find a leader in Afghanistan, maybe a system similar to the one used there could be adopted.

And BARLA famously once expelled the NCL  Taxi Egg. I think it was about 2004.  That went down well with the troops ......... :tongue:

Quick question without going round the houses or courtrooms, If BARLA asked you to sit round the table to talk would you and even a bigger "IF" ever lead the NCL back into the fold on a positive result from the talks ?

Quick question without going round the houses or courtrooms, If BARLA asked you to sit round the table to talk would you and even a bigger "IF" ever lead the NCL back into the fold on a positive result from the talks

Who would make the first move

Why should a club with 10 teams have 10 times the voting rights over a pub team, in theory 50% of the NCL could out vote a complete regional league (lets not forget many regional league teams only want a game every week and don't want to be a wannabee professional club.

I was thinking about this today on my way home from Leigh and the problem is a massive one, it could probably be related to the problem to find a leader in Afghanistan, maybe a system similar to the one used there could be adopted.

Because they are ten times as big Marauder.

If you consider the players as the ultimate consumer to whom we are responsible for the delivery of our product  - the game - then it clearly makes sense. They should not be disadvantaged because they join a ' bigger ' club . And please do not assume that the juniors in a club would necessarily follow the Open Age on a particular issue - ask Taxi Egg.....

But you are  I am afraid following the Barla ' control ' mentality , Rather  a small  subservient , or even non existent , District League  for a vote than the absolute freedom and fresh air approach  that I advocate . Sure it might be chaos for a while , but ,hey ,isn't that how Barla started ?  And claimed the moral high ground in the game as a consequence ?

Nev and Marauder the NCL will talk to anyone anytime to advance our game .We are comfortable where we are.....previous posts have suggested  the new Chair needs to get around.......she will not be rebuffed if she wants to come to see us......

Because they are ten times as big Marauder.

If you consider the players as the ultimate consumer to whom we are responsible for the delivery of our product  - the game - then it clearly makes sense. They should not be disadvantaged because they join a ' bigger ' club . And please do not assume that the juniors in a club would necessarily follow the Open Age on a particular issue - ask Taxi Egg.....

But you are  I am afraid following the Barla ' control ' mentality , Rather  a small  subservient , or even non existent , District League  for a vote than the absolute freedom and fresh air approach  that I advocate . Sure it might be chaos for a while , but ,hey ,isn't that how Barla started ?  And claimed the moral high ground in the game as a consequence ?

Nev and Marauder the NCL will talk to anyone anytime to advance our game .We are comfortable where we are.....previous posts have suggested  the new Chair needs to get around.......she will not be rebuffed if she wants to come to see us......

Seems a typical rich gets richer system to me and I'm, not following anyone on this subject at the moment thats why I'm asking a senior statesman a simple question.

I think a much fairer structure would be to put teams into equal groups and from within those groups a 1st choice could be made and who gets the most votes from the groups is the winner. that way no single playing league or district league can influence.

Sorry Marauder you've lost me there....

Lets say we had 110 teams, put them in groups of 10 and that would give you 11 votes to decided who wins the election.

Yes I see now.

We're not that far apart. You accept one vote per team, It's how the delivery of that vote is made  where we may differ. How would that be done?

I don't think we need to re-invent the wheel. Let the playing Leagues lodge them? Let the districts cast them ? Or keep everyone on the same song sheet , and critically keep the existing structures involved ?

Two votes per team , one through the playing League and one through the District , would do just that .And remember , votes are not just for elections - they can happen throughout the year on a variety of issues........

Yes I see now.

We're not that far apart. You accept one vote per team, It's how the delivery of that vote is made  where we may differ. How would that be done?

I don't think we need to re-invent the wheel. Let the playing Leagues lodge them? Let the districts cast them ? Or keep everyone on the same song sheet , and critically keep the existing structures involved ?

Two votes per team , one through the playing League and one through the District , would do just that .And remember , votes are not just for elections - they can happen throughout the year on a variety of issues........

I've not had a good look at the present system with it's pro's and con's but many years ago the system worked well], what has come to light with me is some district leagues don't ballot their teams and teams don't ballot their players for important votes, this is an area that needs addressing someway by BARLA.

I'm not to sure about the playing leagues lodging votes or the district leagues casting them (Why have the extra cog in the gearbox) and we all know how some (probably most) secretaries just turn up and will go with the flow that's influenced by the top table.

I honestly can't see why each team needs to have two votes? surely they are going to vote the same way both times,

I've not had a good look at the present system with it's pro's and con's but many years ago the system worked well], what has come to light with me is some district leagues don't ballot their teams and teams don't ballot their players for important votes, this is an area that needs addressing someway by BARLA.

I'm not to sure about the playing leagues lodging votes or the district leagues casting them (Why have the extra cog in the gearbox) and we all know how some (probably most) secretaries just turn up and will go with the flow that's influenced by the top table.

I honestly can't see why each team needs to have two votes? surely they are going to vote the same way both times,

Before the two of you set out to change the voting system to the DMRV (Del Marauder Representation Vote) it cannot be forgotten that the full members are there until they choose not to be.

Unless like the RFL, it's just seen fit to remove seats as occurred with BARLA on the RFL Council  

Just a way of keeping everyone interested Marauder.

Most Playing Leagues for one reason or another seem to have voted with their feet Marauder . When Barla started the Districts more often than not ran their own competitions - that has long gone. Most meet irregularly. . The Playing Leagues seem to be effectively dis-enfranchised..

On balance , if it were one vote per team ( not accepted by the way in many Districts - tails wagging dogs springs to mind  )  I'd rather see them cast by the Playing Leagues . I wouldn't have a problem with the Pennine League for instance having 100 + votes available - at least those Committees are doing the hard yards on a weekly basis and have their fingers on the pulse of their members..........

Nev.  If Barla don't drag their structures into the 21st century , it's probably the end for them. And anyway , lighten up... It's only a forum , for debates and exchanges of ideas         :tongue:

Do you see another opportunity (financial) here Del Boy as you did with the; NCL/RFL Agreement Appendix 1 paper (issued in March 2011) on the back of which you led your teams into the summer. This document listed many benefits for clubs; transport, player compensation, officials, which mostly have not materialised and are regular topics of contention on the forums.

Before the two of you set out to change the voting system to the DMRV (Del Marauder Representation Vote) it cannot be forgotten that the full members are there until they choose not to be.

Unless like the RFL, it's just seen fit to remove seats as occurred with BARLA on the RFL Council  

That's just reminded me, I've got to renew my driving licence :thankyou:

That's just reminded me, I've got to renew my driving licence :thankyou:

I thought that you'd have had a bus pass by now young man 

Nev.  If Barla don't drag their structures into the 21st century , it's probably the end for them. And anyway , lighten up... It's only a forum , for debates and exchanges of ideas         :tongue:

Del, the beginning of the end began for BARLA 40 years ago with it's conception and thanks for your concern but I'm pretty relaxed with the debates and exchanges of ideas, although you seem to object to some people throwing a few factual items into the mix. Unloosen your collar mate, 

I thought that you'd have had a bus pass by now young man 

Few more years yet my olde :)

looking at the voting system at Barla use my District as an example 4 clubs 30 teams ,no fixtures no cup comps no coach development etc etc compared with our association 51 clubs 180 teams pro active in all elements of the sport 24/ 7 up date with most people standing for election yet both would have one vote , big difference one would know who they were voting for good bad or indifferent the other would not, so in a nutshell if you did not know the credabilty of the candidate then it should be an abstention .

What I witnessed on sunday was delegates voting for people they knew nothing about, now surely that can not be right ?

MMP each club in essence has under the present system at least two votes to cast their opinions, for example lets just say you have one team at your club your can cast your vote at both district and regional level .

Did your district league canvass your vote ?

Four many years I have thought that BARLA needed to revisit its voting system and that the regional playing leagues should carry the votes after consultation with its respective district leagues that way then at least it would stop the perverse telephone you scratch my back and I will scratch yours vote .

We want the right people in the right position and we need to do away with the present closed shop system which is stopping good people from taking the game forward.

looking at the voting system at Barla use my District as an example 4 clubs 30 teams ,no fixtures no cup comps no coach development etc etc compared with our association 51 clubs 180 teams pro active in all elements of the sport 24/ 7 up date with most people standing for election yet both would have one vote , big difference one would know who they were voting for good bad or indifferent the other would not, so in a nutshell if you did not know the credabilty of the candidate then it should be an abstention .

What I witnessed on sunday was delegates voting for people they knew nothing about, now surely that can not be right ?

MMP each club in essence has under the present system at least two votes to cast their opinions, for example lets just say you have one team at your club your can cast your vote at both district and regional level .

Did your district league canvass your vote ?

Four many years I have thought that BARLA needed to revisit its voting system and that the regional playing leagues should carry the votes after consultation with its respective district leagues that way then at least it would stop the perverse telephone you scratch my back and I will scratch yours vote .

We want the right people in the right position and we need to do away with the present closed shop system which is stopping good people from taking the game forward.

At one point my district league had teams playing in Hull, Yorkshire league, West Yorkshire league and the Pennine league :drag:

Is that a hint that certain youth/junior leagues in Lancashire and Yorkshire would consider full membership with BARLA again in order to achieve this.

Can't imagine that Yorkshire Juniors would ever go back to BARLA. Not sure there would be any benefit to their clubs in doing so.