Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Historical value

OA arl rip

481 posts in this topic

Back to the Barla being only winter again , which is not the case .

If and its a big if given recent inactivity from the Barla policy makers , Barla offered a meaningful structured competition backed with several worthwile incentives playing in a season that suited clubs taking out all the conflicts would clubs not consider switching back ?

Careful, incentives mean bribes on here. :D

Yes........and "Operational Rules" means "Bull****"

Nev, If you were in charge at BARLA, would you set up another BARLA National league in the winter, with the discontent from the glorious summer teams?

Straight answer Raider - yes. This provided that there is clear indication for a need from the clubs and that there was enough solid support to operate a meaningful structure as evolved from the BARLA National Conference League all those years ago. And  if need be, let such a league be bank-rolled by BARLA and benefits clearly shown. However not wishing to stray off thread and meeting the wrath of the mighty whistler (once a ????) this would only be a quick fix for just a few.

If I remember correctly Raider, was your club one of around ten clubs that showed concern over the move to summer, but now you seem to be enjoying an amount of long awaited success. So maybe the switch was good for you will Ince Rose Bridge be in the same mind.

Just a little aside, I know it's early doors but the BARLA Cumbria Men's ARL seems to be heading in the right direction and that's far from being a winter/traditional season, so it would seem that BARLA are turning some sort of corner and surely they deserve some credit for that. And I believe although there is a lack of forward thinking within BARLA at this moment in time, if the association shows that it is willing to look at all aspects, then more people will show interest and put some weight and invention behind BARLA.

However the problems behind the demise of open age ARL are more deep rooted than just the summer/winter issue and in my opinion attention should be paid - literally - to the kids coming into or considering coming into the game. If a sustained focus was shown in this area and beyond - and not just on the persuit of talent - but to allow everyone to have the opportunity to play the game, at a level that suits their own skills, then I believe that we are on the right track.

The talent within the game will be unearthed and the lucky few will go on, as have thousands of others before them, to play at the highest level. I believe in the old adage that if they're good enough then they'll get found and if they have the desire and ambition, they'll make sure that they get found.  

As so often documented, sport in general has seen a downturn in recent years that's clear. Why even today there are reports that the legacy left by the Olympics is in question with less participants around than twelve months previous and the onus seems to be on the billions of pounds generated to the economy by the games. So a clear focus needs affording in making the game attractive for players at all levels and doing away with the political battlefield, which in my mind is being fought to support the professional game sadly with a high cost being paid by the amateur sport.

Well after yesterdays results, I would suspect several teams have absent players on holiday. It's not a true reflection on the league when you've got half strength teams. Very rarely did you have that situation in the winter.

Well after yesterdays results, I would suspect several teams have absent players on holiday. It's not a true reflection on the league when you've got half strength teams. Very rarely did you have that situation in the winter.

Sid I think many people have the same opinion and as you point out its not a true reflection of the sport at that level, which is frustrating given the calibre of clubs, coaches and players that are within it.

BARLA attempted to set up a Winter Conference but I don't think there was enough interest/uptake.   There's definately not enough time to set up an alternative for this Winter and get it right, however if they'd plan a competition for to start say 2014/15 I'm sure that's enough time to get a proper proposal in place and the structure/administration right for those clubs who feel Winter is best for them

That's right Spidey, a couple of years ago there was an attempt to introduce a top level alternative to those ten or so conference teams who weren't happy with the summer switch, but I agree with you this plan was too rushed and really the only teams that looked to it were the top end of Pennine ARL and CMS Yorkshire ARL.  

Also with the restrictive RFL Community Board policies preventing any new leagues being set up - and that's at any age group - a traditional alternative would have to come from an existing league and I think that even then, there would be massive opposition and threats from that body directed towards any proposed conception. But as Lord Charles has so rightly indicated, if you're not part of the RFL Community Board, the threats and protestation would count for nothing.

Again I think that you're spot on with the timing Spidey, if planning/consultation with clubs was to begin now for a September 2014, then I believe that a solid, safe, suitable structure would be put in place for that starting time. Add to this any possible sponsorship/funding and then clubs would have time to discuss the facts and figures to make their own minds up as to whether it would be in their benefit, before making their own decision on their future. If BARLA have any desire to impact once again, then planning should be underway at this moment.

Maybe administrators should look at the success of the Cumbria model that is underway and emulate what is happening there. Yes it's not being played as a traditional competition but it is being played when the players and clubs want it to be played as they were all part of the consultation for the March - September transition that took place in West Cumbria a couple of years ago. Unlike just bowing to the recommendations from their management as happened with the NCL vote, they actually had a say in their future and now the game in that particular part of the world, is taking big steps forward.

What's to stop similar leagues/divisions being introduced in the NWC and Yorkshire and with the similar amount of backing from BARLA which has led to the success in Cumbria. Maybe it could be an idea to start off with a more regionalised competition for the moment, through the correct consultation with clubs this could be discovered. Until that takes place then everyone's playing a guessing game, one which was definitely guessed wrongly by the RFL with summer rugby. The evidence is in the results.

And now the RFL are aiming the dual registration gun at their foot which in my mind would not go down a treat with the strong amateur ethos a large percentage of the game enjoys at present. This is just one of many future concepts to come from the RFL as they continue to slowly professionalise the top end of the amateur game for their own benefit, which I don't suppose makes many friends for the RFL as they blatently abuse and squeeze the life out of the amateur game.

But as I've said before on this thread, the summer/winter issue is only part of why we see the open age in such disarray and the problems are deep rooted. The games policy makers should take a look at what is happening at the early part of a player's time in our game and have a re-think on realisation of the damaged caused by their selfish persuit of talent.

For a large percentage of amateur under 15/16 games to be disrupted in order to pacify the professional games academies/scholarships is simply unacceptable. The problem has always been there at the end of the amateur season when there was a  brief "crossover period" of around a month. So just what were the RFL thinking when they actually fixtured the amateur season around the professional academies, as the result has been catastrophic. 

I believe that it's only a matter of time before the amateur game certainly at these age groups 15's through to 18's will return to a more traditional season than it enjoys now. The RFL spin doctors will more than likely be working overtime to produce the exit strategy of all exit strategies in order to back track and not admit that they were wrong in dragging the game to summer just to prop up the ailing professional game.  

I strongly believe that once the aspects of youth/junior are in more settled times, then open age amateur rugby league will benefit greatly with the more settled environment.

I was talking to a Bank Quay player at the BARLA over 35's tri-county games today at Featherstone, It seems things aren't all that clever in the NWC Men's league when it comes to numbers on teams sheets come match days.

From visiting grounds and hosting games since the move to Summer it is clear to anyone to see the crowds have dropped significantly. Each week the team is different, we played Saturday and had 6 missing, playing tonight with 8 missing not same lads different from weekend mainly.

There was nothing better than the banter in the clubhouse after the game, travelling home on the bus from games following a good day out. How times have changed, Clubs are empty everywhere you go, within an hour of a game only a handfull left in club. This has all gone, we have been at clubs before in the winter season where you would not leave tio come home to 7/8 pm and vice versa when clubs visited you the same. Nowadays, each week there are a number who do not even come in the club as other things to be doing.

As for player participation increasing as stated earlier - WRONG

The standard of officials we are getting is shockling. Each week is a lottery as to the number of cards teams will get. Do the management care anymore or is this area a massive money making operation.

Management meeting Monday - if the question was asked of hoe many teams would stop season now and move back to a winter NCL i think they would be shocked at the response.

A lot of good admin people at clubs, players & coaches have left and i fear more will do the same then the once great competition we had will be no more than a pub league

At Milford on Saturday which had a reasonable size crowd, it was noticeable that only a handful of players and hardly any officials or supporters from Oulton came back to the club after the game.

They didn't even stay for the after match speeches or MOM presentations. If this is the norm from Oulton its not surprising your club is empty. IMO 

I believe out of the 17 players 11 came in the club 2 went straight to work and 1 was en route to hospital. Cannot comment for the other 3 as I had to leave straight after the game myself.

I can assure you this is not the norm for Oulton and will find out as to why people had left early.

As for supporters cannot comment i do find when driving local games people make own way and leave straight after game wheras when arriving by coach people stay longer

I don't think, the board have a clue about, buissineses, or how they survive. Ie. the top clubs have a bar, if it's busy you normally make money, then that enables you to spend it. ,if its not you lose money. Now in normal life, you go bust. But in local sport with historical links, you may be lucky and have a stalwart who has a few quid, and will bail it out. And that's we're we are at.With my first post, I was very surprised by the response, but reading, the replies and different threads, I think I was bang on. By the way I have never posted on any social media sites before, but I am so sickened by the situation, our great game is, I couldn't stop myself.

Not been on here for a while, but I feel I've got to put my opinion over. I'm falling out with the game I just don't get the same excitement on a July Saturday as when 'back in the day' on a November was what it was all about. You've only got to look at the Pennine League it's getting stronger every year since the NCL went to summer, I understand teams as far as Cumbria have applied this season. I'm also getting rumblings that several NCL teams are thinking of joining the Pennine!!

The NWC league was the best comp in the country in winter but look at it now, seems to be more 30-0 results every week. The facts speak for themselves.

WELL DONE THE RFL & the NCL committee for KILLING OUR Beautiful GAME.

Not been on here for a while, but I feel I've got to put my opinion over. I'm falling out with the game I just don't get the same excitement on a July Saturday as when 'back in the day' on a November was what it was all about. You've only got to look at the Pennine League it's getting stronger every year since the NCL went to summer, I understand teams as far as Cumbria have applied this season. I'm also getting rumblings that several NCL teams are thinking of joining the Pennine!!

The NWC league was the best comp in the country in winter but look at it now, seems to be more 30-0 results every week. The facts speak for themselves.

WELL DONE THE RFL & the NCL committee for KILLING OUR Beautiful GAME.

Just because people who have enjoyed rugby for 50 years are walking away from our sport

Just because multiple games are being called off

Just because some NCL teams are operating without a reserve side

Just because fewer players are now taking part in our sport,

Just because dozens of 16 to 18 year old teams have folded

Just because playing standards have dropped

Just because teams can not turn the same team out twice

Stop moaning and take your family down to your rugby club, enjoy the BBQ , you can go on holiday in December, just after your mate gets married.

And don't forget , we have got duel registration to look forward to,

O yes I forgotten, take your complaining elsewhere, this is now a summer NCL forum now

Just because people who have enjoyed rugby for 50 years are walking away from our sport

Just because multiple games are being called off

Just because some NCL teams are operating without a reserve side

Just because fewer players are now taking part in our sport,

Just because dozens of 16 to 18 year old teams have folded

Just because playing standards have dropped

Just because teams can not turn the same team out twice

Stop moaning and take your family down to your rugby club, enjoy the BBQ , you can go on holiday in December, just after your mate gets married.

And don't forget , we have got duel registration to look forward to,

O yes I forgotten, take your complaining elsewhere, this is now a summer NCL forum now

Have you seen the Operational Rules yet, lot more changes to come and as they stand they will be leaving the amateur game at the mercy of the RFL and their drive for only the elite to survive (So the guy who had a hobby past time playing and administrating amateur rugby league could find themselves stood on the touch-line waiting to take the corner flags and post protectors in after the game)

Have you seen the Operational Rules yet, lot more changes to come and as they stand they will be leaving the amateur game at the mercy of the RFL and their drive for only the elite to survive (So the guy who had a hobby past time playing and administrating amateur rugby league could find themselves stood on the touch-line waiting to take the corner flags and post protectors in after the game)

Only if you let it happen.

The NCL wont.

Marauder................the Community Board can only dictate to any of its members, if your not a member..........then it can't say, impose or dictate anything!

Your correct about not being a member of the community game and It was asked from the floor if BARLA could pull out at last Monday's Pennine AGM

NOTE:- This is not a Pennine breakaway.

Your correct about not being a member of the community game and It was asked from the floor if BARLA could pull out at last Monday's Pennine AGM

NOTE:- This is not a Pennine breakaway.

As a matter of interest Marauder did the person asking get an answer , and if so what was it and by whom was it given ?

Only if you let it happen.

The NCL wont.

Your not out of touch with what's going on at the meeting after the meeting  :drag: or is it the meeting before the meeting :sclerosis:

:smoke:  Brutus you don't have to bother signing the operational rules just yet !!!        

:paladin:   Are you sure ?

8)  Yes just run with the rules until we've sucked the rest in, it will cover your back.

But be careful Brutus not to fall said :rtfm:  Vovumnius and his mates :party:  :alcoholic:   

As a matter of interest Marauder did the person asking get an answer , and if so what was it and by whom was it given ?

After a democratic debate it was decided by the committee that every club and district will be sent a copy of the operational rules (Done already) to be chewed over with their committee and players, the findings will then be reported back at a meeting in the near future (to be arranged)  either via their district or playing league.

It sounds a fair and relaxed system of work to me, especially when they don't have the pressure of big Bro breathing down their necks gently touching, prodding and herding secretaries into a  definition 1 pen.

in this era of our open workings of the greater game.....anyone want to post the proposals here so we the level headed public of the amateur rugby league supporting internet can comment......Go on someone stick their heads above water......

in this era of our open workings of the greater game.....anyone want to post the proposals here so we the level headed public of the amateur rugby league supporting internet can comment......Go on someone stick their heads above water......

Are you looking for the draft proposals for the operational rules?

After a democratic debate it was decided by the committee that every club and district will be sent a copy of the operational rules (Done already) to be chewed over with their committee and players, the findings will then be reported back at a meeting in the near future (to be arranged)  either via their district or playing league.

It sounds a fair and relaxed system of work to me, especially when they don't have the pressure of big Bro breathing down their necks gently touching, prodding and herding secretaries into a  definition 1 pen.

NCL has done the same Marauder . All member clubs have had the paperwork e mailed to them this morning for consideration and comment back to our Administrator in time for the NCL Management meeting with the RFL ( Robert Hicks ) on 19th August.