Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Historical value

OA arl rip

481 posts in this topic

Doubt you will get a straight answer to that off an independent representative/member of the Community Board that sits on the NCL Committee.

I mean, where would your loyalties fall? Or do you just have to put up with the splinters?

And what about the ongoing secretary of the Pennine League?

For me , the CHAIR of an Association or Playing League needs to be demonstrably INDEPENDANT of all other ties.  Especially if they are supposed to head a National Organisation....

That's  how it USED to be at Barla.. Trustees used to be well removed from daily workings as well.. We all knew the score in those days.....

But hey ho , needs must and times change........

Del Capo could I ask you a direct question ,would you advise all the regional leagues to agree to the proposed "operational rules" in their present state ?

Plenty of questions Taxi Egg  - I'll try.

In simple immediate terms , No.  I would advise them to take the proposals to to their Management to look at. If an individual club has a particular concern then that can be fed through the club reps to Management . But Management has to be the conduit and decision making entity for all of this. Clubs need to have confidence in that process. These Operational rules are largely the work of amateur activists.. They are now out for consultation.

The NCL for instance will be having a special Management meeting in August on this topic alone , and will then make appropriate recommendations to  both the Regulatory Group and the members....

On the issue of independence at the Community Board, most voting members come with  a Brief that is allied to their position . Trevor  Hunt speaks for the whole of Tier 3 for instance whilst chairing the NCL ; Martin Coyd looks after Tier 4 whilst having active involvement in the London area. The two Independent members are akin to non executive directors ( that is in fact what they used to be called ) . They are not appointed  to represent anyone in particular , but  to act as ' critical friends ' Most people in corporate business will understand the principles.....

And finally ( I think ) on the issue of the Pennine League  , I don't really know what you mean about the NCL running scared..... the Pennine are doing a great job for the winter programme in their neck of the woods and they need to continue. As far as I am aware they have no ambitions to move national or in to the sunshine so the NCL activities  simply dovetail with theirs...Perfect world isn't it ?

Del Capo

What are your personal views surrounding the facts that the Operational rules have no guidelines, procedure or policy relating to Professional contracted players in any capacity as regards their potential involvement in the game at Tiers 3 & 4.

I refer to players who may not be on full time contracts but contracted in a manner that means they receive remuneration in some capacity for being contracted to a Professional club, yet may dependent on the criteria, which nobody can evaluate as it appears not to be in the operational rules, become involved in participating in amateur competition such as the NCL?

Peter thanks for your reply on the operational rules, amateur activists are you for real why would an amateur activist concede 40 years of unpaid dedicated graft to create sound solid bases to become unpaid servants to a governing body that invests little or nothing to the amateur game ?

Just a measure of the way the RFL prioritise things ;http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/23160029

And what about the ongoing secretary of the Pennine League?

For me , the CHAIR of an Association or Playing League needs to be demonstrably INDEPENDANT of all other ties.  Especially if they are supposed to head a National Organisation....

That's  how it USED to be at Barla.. Trustees used to be well removed from daily workings as well.. We all knew the score in those days.....

But hey ho , needs must and times change........

But you've stated many times that USED to be was no good within BARLA - May I ask you a direct question (Going to anyway but I don't expect a straight answer) Once the RFL have bought, conned and bullied the amateur game into signing the operational rules and all democratic decisions removed, HAVE YOU BEEN PROMISED THE ROLE OF AYATOLLAH by the Rugby League.

Plenty of questions Taxi Egg  - I'll try.

In simple immediate terms , No.  I would advise them to take the proposals to to their Management to look at. If an individual club has a particular concern then that can be fed through the club reps to Management . But Management has to be the conduit and decision making entity for all of this. Clubs need to have confidence in that process. These Operational rules are largely the work of amateur activists.. They are now out for consultation.

The NCL for instance will be having a special Management meeting in August on this topic alone , and will then make appropriate recommendations to  both the Regulatory Group and the members....

On the issue of independence at the Community Board, most voting members come with  a Brief that is allied to their position . Trevor  Hunt speaks for the whole of Tier 3 for instance whilst chairing the NCL ; Martin Coyd looks after Tier 4 whilst having active involvement in the London area. The two Independent members are akin to non executive directors ( that is in fact what they used to be called ) . They are not appointed  to represent anyone in particular , but  to act as ' critical friends ' Most people in corporate business will understand the principles.....

And finally ( I think ) on the issue of the Pennine League  , I don't really know what you mean about the NCL running scared..... the Pennine are doing a great job for the winter programme in their neck of the woods and they need to continue. As far as I am aware they have no ambitions to move national or in to the sunshine so the NCL activities  simply dovetail with theirs...Perfect world isn't it ?

Nothing against Martin Coyd simply because I don't know the man, but how did he get the gig in front of a guy who is BARLA orientated.

Yes the minutes read the league would be formally recognised so what. It would be hard to totally ignore given the myth that two RFL employees were supposedly dedicating heart and soul 24/7 on the project.

Where is the recognition for Cumbria ARL, Barrow ARL, NWC ARL, Pennine ARL, GMB Hull ARL or are they not worth a mention Del

The Cumbria Men's Amateur Rugby league play under their own constitution and do not operate under the RFL proposed operational rules nor have they signed the MOU. This despite the fact that a, "Legal and Compliance Officer (in part)" cajoled and virtually begged the Cumbrians not to include some parts to be written in their constitution.

The role of the RFL officers is no myth Nev Ant Atherton and Alan Davidson done a huge amount to get everyone working together and the league off the ground

As for the rules/constitution as a club secretary Zi haven't been issued any for the Cumbria men's league not a clue what they are fortunately the leagues working well so it isn't an issue

The role of the RFL officers is no myth Nev Ant Atherton and Alan Davidson done a huge amount to get everyone working together and the league off the ground

As for the rules/constitution as a club secretary Zi haven't been issued any for the Cumbria men's league not a clue what they are fortunately the leagues working well so it isn't an issue

I don't like shattering your beliefs Gilly or any illusions that you are under with Ant and Daisy cos you're a nice guy, but their whole brief was to secure the new league under the RFL's (their employer) wing. Yes they would be prominent to club secretaries like yourself as they are working locally but if they - as you say - did a huge amount to get everyone working together, how many times did you see a BARLA representative around the table.

Has anybody ever thought why the MOU and the NEW set of Operational Rules is so vitally important to the RFL, outside of the "We just want everyone abiding by a standard set of rules" spin?

Clearly their is a need for a definitive set of rules across the sport in particular areas, however each competition/regional league etc will have its own variances, but what are the real reasons behind these documents outside of the standard RFL spin?

Why is it a necessity for the RFL to control leagues, yet allow them to be run by volunteer Management Groups they wish to appoint, when since their inception the Regional Leagues have always been run on a volunteer basis under democratic constitution?

Why are these documents written in a manner that allows the RFL to enforce change or control to any aspect of the amateur game that they so wish and remove the democratic process that has served the regional leagues and amateur game so well over the last 40 years?

Why within these documents is their no clear policy, protocol or procedure that delivers guidelines in relation to RFL initiatives that could impact on the Amateur game, examples being Service Area, Scholarship, Academy and Professionally contracted players.

Why when anybody asks these questions to the RFL do we get , no answers, a politically spun rebuff, told "oh no it does'nt really mean that", so as an example.............

MOU

Clause 3 :    Adopt the RFL Community Game Operational Rules as and when approved by the RFL Community Board after consultation with the League

Operational Rules

A1:6:1   Any amendments to these Operational Rules shall be proposed and discussed by the Community Game Regulatory Group. The Community Board will have the overall control to approve any changes before being presented to the RFL Board.

B1:1:1   The Management Groups shall be governed by the RFL under the terms of these Operational Rules.

C4:1        The RFL shall appoint each Management Group to run the relevant Competition in accordance with the Memorandum of Understanding. 

According to the RFL spin the above just means..............

It is a joint commitment from all Leagues to get a standardised set of rules so that the same age-groups in different regions all played to the same rules (i.e. ball sizes, match duration etc) which wasn’t, at the time, happening and was causing confusion in cross region and national competitions where different rules applied depending on whether you played at home or away!  Again, this is, in essence nothing new as you used to work to the BARLA rules but still had your own autonomy.

Now call me cynical, but it does'nt read that way to me, it also does'nt tell you that the RFL are so desperate to get this all passed that they convinced management groups to just sign the MOU on the clubs behalves without proposing it to the clubs first and have also TOLD management groups NOT TO send out the Operational Rules to the clubs, but as MANAGERS to make a decision on the clubs behalf and pass them so that they can be rubber stamped in October 2013 by the Community Game Regulatory Group and take effect from March 2014.

Does anybody else know what is occurring later this year around October time outside of the world cup?

Here's a clue.....................

The Board of Sport England has continued its cut backs by reducing the funding available to the Rugby Football League (RFL) in the light of disappointing participation figures shown in the Active People Survey.

The RFL has agreed to accept a reduction of £956,188 alongside a renegotiated participation goal, having recognised that it will not achieve the growth in regular and sustained participation commissioned through Sport England’s 2009 – 2013 investment. 

Sport England’s chief executive, Jennie Price, said: ‘We welcome the approach of the leadership team at the RFL to the review of funding levels. The governing body has recognised the need to change the approach to grassroots delivery if genuine growth in regular, sustained participation is to be achieved’.

‘The RFL’s bold decision to create a competition framework for the community game based on the summer will deliver both better integration of competition structures and a greater flexibility for those wishing to participate at all levels of the game. Our discussions with the RFL have given us confidence that the very significant investment we are still making in rugby league will deliver value for money’.

In addition to the creation of a summer based competition framework, the RFL plans to build on the successful work it has begun in expanding touch rugby. 

Steps are also being taken to mitigate the impact of youth recruitment by professional clubs through a new duel registration between both community and professional clubs.

Yes that's right, its a funding review and the RFL will have to prove that they have met their Participation target as agreed!!!

Dictator ( An ancient Roman magistrate appointed temporarily to deal with an immediate crisis or emergency).

I wonder who the RFL have appointed to be their dictator?

I do have an idea and it's becoming clearer every week has more and more clubs are waking up to what's going on around them.

"Steps are also being taken to mitigate the impact of youth recruitment by professional clubs through a new duel registration between both community and professional clubs."

Yes, it's a problem but dual registration is not the solution!!!!!

"Steps are also being taken to mitigate the impact of youth recruitment by professional clubs through a new duel registration between both community and professional clubs."

Yes, it's a problem but dual registration is not the solution!!!!!

I'm sure someone will be able to tell us how many teams have folded due to these steps over the last couple of seasons.

Dual Registration could work but isn't Duel Registration a bit confrontational? :triniti:

Dual Registration could work but isn't Duel Registration a bit confrontational? :triniti:

From my experience, playing short term ringers always upset the apple cart and that's all the dual registration will be doing.

I'm sure someone will be able to tell us how many teams have folded due to these steps over the last couple of seasons.

No Marauder............you've got it all wrong these steps are being put in place to "increase participation" and keep players in the sport.

And before you say anything it has nothing to do with strategically located development clubs or any other nonsense like that!

I mean who could seriously believe the NCL or Youth Leagues would allow dual registration of Pro players in to the Community game, no that would never happen...........would it?

Players on the Cumbria Skolarship (16/17 year olds) have been allowed to play in the local West Cumbria and Barrow leagues this summer but as far as I know it was only agreed to let this happen for this season only to get them games as they weren't really playing many at the college.

As far as I know it hasn't caused any problems, and it was clubs who voted to allow them to play as well. Technically they will be duel reg players as well

Despite the constant bleating of non-NCL people on here, there will not be any Dual Registration of contracted players.

I can see what their aims are but it does their cause no favours by repeating the same thin arguments ad nauseam .

It's a little dishonest as well, as most of the antagonists do not care for the NCL, but spend most of their time posting in it's forum.

If your a BARLA-only type of ARL person you should say so.

BARLA are, after all, infested by some of the biggest clowns in sports administration. :jester:

I'm still trying to fathom why they are sending a glut of former professionals, on tour to Dubai, under an amateur banner with amateur funds.  :fie:

Despite the constant bleating of non-NCL people on here, there will not be any Dual Registration of contracted players.

I can see what their aims are but it does their cause no favours by repeating the same thin arguments ad nauseam .

It's a little dishonest as well, as most of the antagonists do not care for the NCL, but spend most of their time posting in it's forum.

BARLA are, after all, infested by some of the biggest clowns in sports administration. :jester:

I'm still trying to fathom why they are sending a glut of former professionals, on tour to Dubai, under an amateur banner with amateur funds. :fie:

I love you for that last paragraph! Young lad returns to amateur club no BARLA for you but Mark Forster and the gang can go to Dubai at the expense of lifelong amateurs. That stinks!

According to the RFL and Sport England's Chief Exec there will be, as it is part of the proposal the RFL put to Sport England prior to June 2011 that was to be implemented within the 2009-2013 round of funding.

Hence the New Operational rules that the RFL are looking to have in place for March 2014, which the clubs and regional leagues do not govern through democratic process anymore as they would with any operational rules they may have had previously.

I love you for that last paragraph! Young lad returns to amateur club no BARLA for you but Mark Forster and the gang can go to Dubai at the expense of lifelong amateurs. That stinks!

I'm still trying to fathom why they are sending a glut of former professionals, on tour to Dubai, under an amateur banner with amateur funds.  :fie:

Does contracted players also include registered players? Only asking because before the Bosman rule players where registered with the Rugby League by their club as a professional players and couldn't move on to play anywhere else until sold, de-registered, given a permit or death.

If it only includes contracted players what is stopping the RFL from bringing in a new system/tier of player once the NCL and others have signed the operational rules.

Deano I do care for every part of the amateur game but that can not be said for everyone in the NCL and what happens with the NCL will definitely filter downwards So when the shining light in the NCL is implementing  the operational rules either by word change, stealth or drip feed, sometimes the same nail has to be banged a few times.

Dubai on first thoughts seems to sum up the clowns (I'd like to see the selection system and funding system for this Jolly)

You seem pretty sure that there will not be any dual registration of contracted players in the NCL Raider. As soon as Pete and Trev get their stories collated, this RFL policy is just around the corner expectare et videre

According to the RFL and Sport England's Chief Exec there will be, as it is part of the proposal the RFL put to Sport England prior to June 2011 that was to be implemented within the 2009-2013 round of funding.

Hence the New Operational rules that the RFL are looking to have in place for March 2014, which the clubs and regional leagues do not govern through democratic process anymore as they would with any operational rules they may have had previously.

There's still nothing in there to say that contracted players can play in amateur matches.

I can appreciate regional leagues will be concerned, as they currently have various restrictive practices, like ID cards, that will be made redundant by a host of new rules that involve trust, honesty and integrity between clubs.

The regional leagues have far more to fear than the NCL and that's up to them to fight their corner.

You seem pretty sure that there will not be any dual registration of contracted players in the NCL Raider. As soon as Pete and Trev get their stories collated, this RFL policy is just around the corner expectare et videre

I'm pretty sure Nev as the NCL president said it would be "over his dead body".   :bye:

There's still nothing in there to say that contracted players can play in amateur matches.

I can appreciate regional leagues will be concerned, as they currently have various restrictive practices, like ID cards, that will be made redundant by a host of new rules that involve trust, honesty and integrity between clubs.

The regional leagues have far more to fear than the NCL and that's up to them to fight their corner.

Will it be a fair fight Raider with your top two men being devout RFL Community Board people vendidit flumine