Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

YCKonstantine

Does anyone else want USA to do well in the World Cup?

59 posts in this topic

7's lol.

Has as much hope of winning over the masses like it did 100 years ago when it was first played in the games.

People can say this and that, but if a person watches the 7's on TV and thinks, great I love this fast contact sport, what are they going to do when they search for Rugby and all that other XV man garbage pops up?

Where am I mocking or underestimating in my post?

I don't think you are mocking them. Where did I say that.? The discussion of the exaggerated numbers playing was on tap and you rightly corrected that downwards and my point was that, yes those numbers were false but by the same token, don't underestimate the progress RU is making in the USA. I am not arguing against your point merely expanding and elaborating on it.

7's lol.

Has as much hope of winning over the masses like it did 100 years ago when it was first played in the games.

People can say this and that, but if a person watches the 7's on TV and thinks, great I love this fast contact sport, what are they going to do when they search for Rugby and all that other XV man garbage pops up?

Exactly. A golden opportunity to push the league version of the game and ride in on the coattails of RU 7s and RU 1t5s.

Rugby to an American conjures up pictures of pi**ed up frat boys. We'd do better to drop the word rugby from the name of the game in the USA.

We would've done a damn sight better if we'd dropped the word rugby from the name completely years ago. I get fed up of reading about how our games progress in a new country is being stunted in some way because of the obvious confusion over our name.

As for the US, the most important thing is to get a unified set up. It'll be interesting to see what sort of team is assembled for the World Cup - I assume the likes of Clint Newton and Junior Paulo will be in the team?

I don't think you are mocking them. Where did I say that.?

You said it in the quote below.

I think they also have a scheme whereby they have introduced rugby into deprived ghetto areas and which has been a great success so, mock them as you want, they are moving onwards and growing exponentially.

If you weren't actually referring to me, I'll wind my neck in.

From what I understand, some USARL players are being picked for the squad, in which case, I hope they do well

I don't think you are mocking them. Where did I say that.? The discussion of the exaggerated numbers playing was on tap and you rightly corrected that downwards and my point was that, yes those numbers were false but by the same token, don't underestimate the progress RU is making in the USA. I am not arguing against your point merely expanding and elaborating on it.

RU have been working on the North American market for far longer than RL. The Olympic inclusion could give RU Sevens critical mass, but RL might be able to piggyback any success, if they are crafty and (are you listening AMNRL & USARL?) united.

You said it in the quote below.

If you weren't actually referring to me, I'll wind my neck in.

Well, I can't argue with that can I.My apologies. Perhaps "mock" was the wrong word. Underestimate as in underestimate their growth might have conveyed better what I meant. Peace

I get fed up of reading about how our games progress in a new country is being stunted in some way because of the obvious confusion over our name.

Yeah, happens all the time.  :rolleyes: