Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pottsy

Sheffield - what happened?

30 posts in this topic

Eccles second team didn't enter a league this season because we didn't have enough players, but we are playing, and winning, friendlies every week with players to spare. 50% of the players are from various RU clubs, trying league for the first time. One forward made his first team debut last week. Maybe its not such a daft idea to tap into RU. Problem is, it would only be a temporary solution because they go back to their RU clubs in August. I think one or two will stick around though personally. Most of them recognise what a great game RL is, but they are loyal to the RU clubs, and their mates, where they have played for years.

World of difference between tapping up one or two union players and expecting a union club to run a league section.

I can't think of a single example of this being done successfully.

World of difference between tapping up one or two union players and expecting a union club to run a league section.

I can't think of a single example of this being done successfully.

Tell me about it, we got invited to move in with Thornensians RUFC and after they saw the product on the field and our plans for juniors they told us that we would have to find a new ground to play and train on but could go back to their excellent clubhouse after our games, this was after just one season of summer rugby.

Blackwood Bulldogs (South Wales) did it for  about 5 seasons and they qualified to play Oldham in the Challenge cup. I agree that generally you won't get a RU club to run a RL section, but I just had to find an example. All of the RU players that have come to us recently have had to admit that RL is a great game.

Tell me about it, we got invited to move in with Thornensians RUFC and after they saw the product on the field and our plans for juniors they told us that we would have to find a new ground to play and train on but could go back to their excellent clubhouse after our games, this was after just one season of summer rugby.

Sounds familiar!