Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mumby Magic

New Zealanders in Super League

82 posts in this topic

Meli was a regular in the New Zealand side during his time with Auckland Warriors.

Soliola was also a New Zealand Test player whilst with the Roosters.  Without looking it up I would guess he has about 7 or 8 Kiwi caps.  I can't remember him playing for Samoa but no doubt he qualifies if he wishes to do so.

Another one of my favourite Kiwis at Fev was Hitro Okesene with his nonsense style of play.  I think he played a few games for Hull the year before therefore qualifies as a SL player.

Ok.  However, the OP still asked about New Zealanders and not players who have played for New Zealand!

And both Meli and Soliola are Samoans.

Stacey Jones has gone well under the radar here, one of my favourite NZers ever.

For Wire (SL era):

Toa Kohe-Love

Nigel Vagana

Louis Anderson

Richard Henare (one season only mind)

All left me with fine memories. Honorable mentions: Vinnie Anderson, Logan Swann, David Kidwell (ok bad memories in his case!)

Wasn't Vagana about 18 when he came to us? Bagged a hat trick against Wigan in Murphy's return?

Aah, Kidwell, that Salford game will live long in the memory.

Kevin Tamati.

Ok.  However, the OP still asked about New Zealanders and not players who have played for New Zealand!

And both Meli and Soliola are Samoans.

Not wanting to get too pedantic about this, but if you are born in New Zealand of Samoan parentage, are you classing these players as New Zealanders or Samoans.  If the later, then we are looking for players of Mauri or White European ancestary only rather than anyone with Samoan/Tongan/Cook Island heritage.

You would be stepping into a minefield with that one

Ali Lauiti'iti, Willie Talau, Tonie Carroll, Sione Faumuina, Tevita Leo-Latu, Jamahl Lolesi, Alex Chan, Iafeta Palea'aesina, David Fa'alogo. That wiki list was very helpful!

the wigan leg end paul koloi...........

if you had a thread about the best kiwis to play in super league i think the top 5 would look like this:

the paul brothers joint first as i can't decide which one was best

lesley vainokolo

tawara nickau

julian o'niel

tony puletua

Not wanting to get too pedantic about this, but if you are born in New Zealand of Samoan parentage, are you classing these players as New Zealanders or Samoans.  If the later, then we are looking for players of Mauri or White European ancestary only rather than anyone with Samoan/Tongan/Cook Island heritage.

You would be stepping into a minefield with that one

Soliola identifies himself as Samoan.  I follow him on Twitter and it's all about Samoa, not New Zealand.  Meli is Samoan too, as is Tony Puletua.  Only Lance Hohaia in our squad identifies as Kiwi.

I'm taking their own word for it, that's all.

i wouldn't brag about hohaia........

Ah yes! Who among us can forget, er... what was his name again?

At the Bulls:

Robbie Paul, Henry Paul and Lesley Vainikolo were one-offs, and can't be replaced.

To a large extent, Shontayne Hape replaced Daryl Shelford.

However, we have never found proper replacements for Joe Vagana and Tevita Vaikona. We haven't had a top notch prop or strike- winger since.

In my opinion, David Solomona and Logan Swann were major disappointments.

Dean Bell was my RL idol.. awesome player. Jarrod McKracken deserves a mention, good year or so he spent at Saints. Another tough as teak Kiwi. Frano Botica deserves a mention also, as does Stacey Jones.

Wonder whatever happened to Paul Koloi..

i wouldn't brag about hohaia........

I wasn't bragging about anyone.  I simply said that only Hohaia self-identifies as Kiwi among our antipodean crew.

Dean Bell was my RL idol.. awesome player. Jarrod McKracken deserves a mention, good year or so he spent at Saints. Another tough as teak Kiwi. Frano Botica deserves a mention also, as does Stacey Jones.

Wonder whatever happened to Paul Koloi..

It was a shame that Jarrod McCracken took off field action against players for a tackle that went wrong.

Jarrod McCracken's football career came to a premature end in round 15 of the 2000 NRL competition in a game against the Melbourne Storm, when Storm players Stephen Kearney and Marcus Bai performed a dangerous spear tackleon him, inflicting a career-ending neck injury.[3] McCracken later successfully sued the Melbourne Storm and the two players involved for general damages, totalling $90,000 plus interest.[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jarrod_McCracken

Fair point.

Thinking about it I think Freddie was signed after playing for Samoa in the 1991 RUWC. Mike Umaga though was I believe a New Zealander of Samoan decent,

Both signed after playing for Samoa in the 95 RUWC. Think we sighed Asa Amone from Tonga from the same RUWC as well.

Marty Moana was a kiwi that could have been brilliant. Was nearly unstoppable at times in 1998

Best behaviour? from Superman of course,but but

:huh: No sense you make it is.

Do you also remember doc Murray and Shem tatupu?

Do you also remember doc Murray and Shem tatupu?

Seem to recall Doc Murray ending up at Warrington for a bit. Ended up at Chorley later on?

Sane season as Nigel Vagana was at Warrington, we had Tony Tatupu who only sticks in my mind for the fact that Eddie Hemmings in a commentary once referred to him as Tony Tatutu-pupu. Vague memories of him and Stevo descending into hysterics over that one.

Another one from pre-SL was Kelly Shelford. He was good.

At the Bulls:

Robbie Paul, Henry Paul and Lesley Vainikolo were one-offs, and can't be replaced.

To a large extent, Shontayne Hape replaced Daryl Shelford.

However, we have never found proper replacements for Joe Vagana and Tevita Vaikona. We haven't had a top notch prop or strike- winger since.

In my opinion, David Solomona and Logan Swann were major disappointments.

TV is Tongan.

if you had a thread about the best kiwis to play in super league i think the top 5 would look like this:the paul brothers joint first as i can't decide which one was bestlesley vainokolotawara nickaujulian o'nieltony puletua

How can you have a top 5 when you list 6???