Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Daddy

Yesterday was a great day for French Rugby League, Toulouse must be in Super LEague 2015

93 posts in this topic

Toulouse would get more than 15k averages within 3 years.

Not putting them in will show what plonkers RL are.

Even if it didnt work at least we would have tried. I would also put Avignon in at the same time rather than #### about

couldnt agree more

Toulouse would get more than 15k averages within 3 years.

Not putting them in will show what plonkers RL are.

Even if it didnt work at least we would have tried. I would also put Avignon in at the same time rather than #### about

You pulling my leg??

Average over 15,000 , Catalans can't do that, so why would Toulouse ???

ckn's point made no sense at all. If Leeds managed to pull a 15k + crowd at Nottingham - which they wouldn't - then we might well make a case for a Nottingham pro club.

Totally irrelevant to this discussion though. Catalans average 8000-9000 so to attract over 14000 in a city which is indeed a long way from Perpignan is testament to the fact that RL can attract big numbers in Toulouse.

You pulling my leg??

It's four times the size population wise of Perpignan (according to wiki) and has a rugby supporting culture.

It's four times the size population wise of Perpignan (according to wiki) and has a rugby supporting culture.

Thanks for that, so it's still a guessing game. Not many league clubs attract 15'000 so I don't believe it'll happen, but that's me I guess.

So does Bristol.

It has a rugby culture but it is mostly a rugby union culture.

So does Bristol.

Both towns have a lot in common

I posted this yesterday but we shouldn't get carried away by a one-off crowd between 2 out of town teams.

Before we start, I've said for a long time that Toulouse would be my preferred option for an expansion club. France is the only realistic option where expansion could lead to a competitive international side and Toulouse is the only realistic option for that. They should be included and given the opportunity to compete.

However, I thought we'd have learnt lessons about reading too much into one-off crowds. Watching it, there were clearly a lot of Catalans that had travelled and a decent section of Hull KR fans. I suspect that it was used as a day out like Barcelona was. It llooked great and sounded great but so did Doncaster when we had a challenge cup semi-final there. It's very difficult to see how many were from Toulouse. If you check out their Twitter you'll see a picture of a friendly they played against London. There are about 100 in the main stand.

I pointed out yesterday that Toulouse had a cup quarter-final against Widnes in 2005 with a big away following and managed a very round 4500. Around the same time Catalans played Wigan and Saints in earlier rounds and managed 8,000 for both. This might be a better indication of what their level is.

Both towns have a lot in common

The aerospace industry?

I can't think of anything else.

I'm not against Toulouse being SL but a better case for their inclusion needs to be made than "they have a rugby culture" or "distant town gets 15,000 crowds".

The aerospace industry?

I'm not against Toulouse being SL but a better case for their inclusion needs to be made than "they have a rugby culture" or "distant town gets 15,000 crowds".

Learn to read Sol. Or at least learn to comprehend what you can read. I never said Toulouse should be in SL because of a "rugby culture".

According to the rfl the attendance was 12000 which is still great but not 15000

Just to be clear, that is the attendance reported on the PA data feed that most websites use. The figure reported by the club was 14,858.

If you look at the Hull KR web site it gives this higher figure in the match report even though the conspicuously rounded 12,000 appears in the stats panel underneath. It is not the first time this season the PA has provided bad data.

Just to be clear, that is the attendance reported on the PA data feed that most websites use. The figure reported by the club was 14,858.

If you look at the Hull KR web site it gives this higher figure in the match report even though the conspicuously rounded 12,000 appears in the stats panel underneath. It is not the first time this season the PA has provided bad data.[/quote

So it was 14,858 then thanks, lets round that up to 15,000 then.

The aerospace industry?

both in the south west

as ou say aerospace

similar size

rugby union is a major sport

it was apropos of not much

and not really connected with the topic under discussion

Players William bathau, raguin, gossard, baile, plus Bentley boys, quintella even maybe even entice gresque Enough around to get a start, does it matter catalans got smacked for a season and a half the same will happen.

Players William bathau, raguin, gossard, baile, plus Bentley boys, quintella even maybe even entice gresque Enough around to get a start, does it matter catalans got smacked for a season and a half the same will happen.

Gigot, Pelo, Marginet, Fages, Bemba, Stacul, Cardace plus another 5-7 already on Toulouse's books.

Learn to read Sol. Or at least learn to comprehend what you can read. I never said Toulouse should be in SL because of a "rugby culture".

No, you backed up the guy that did say that.

You claimed that they might average 15,000. They might, they might not but the fact that "They are a city that's four times the size of Toulouse and has a rugby culture" isn't really a convincing argument. That could be said of Bristol but who thinks a Bristol SL side would achieve that?

No, you backed up the guy that did say that.

You claimed that they might average 15,000. They might, they might not but the fact that "They are a city that's four times the size of Toulouse and has a rugby culture" isn't really a convincing argument. That could be said of Bristol but who thinks a Bristol SL side would achieve that?

Cut and paste me the bit where I said Toulouse should be in SL. I simply threw a couple of comments in that may or may not back up the possibility that Toulouse might (that's might not will) pull in 15,000 after three years in SL.

If you look at the Hull KR web site it gives this higher figure in the match report even though the conspicuously rounded 12,000 appears in the stats panel underneath. It is not the first time this season the PA has provided bad data.[/quote

So it was 14,858 then thanks, lets round that up to 15,000 then.

The 12,000 is clearly an estimate, the precise figure is bound to be the announced figure.

I'm not sure how they counted the attendance but seeing as though it holds 19,000 I think 15,000 was a bit generous. Both areas behind the posts were pretty sparse. That's a minor point though that doesn't detract from a great occasion and they're only doing what most SL clubs do.

It's all good and well saying put Toulouse in SL, but are they good enough? I mean, we beat them in the challenge cup..

What has that got to do with it? The performances of the current part-time team has absolutely nothing to do with building a full-time professional Super League team.

Where are all of Tolouses players going to come from for them to compete? They are literally going to have to sign 20 players if they want to play SL.

As would any new entrant to Super League. As my comment above. The state of the current team of part-time players has little to do with setting up a full-time professional Super League operation.

You pulling my leg??

Much much much bigger and more affluent younger population than Perpignan.

So does Bristol.

It has a culture of supporting successful events.

I think if a city of the same size in England had a RL club who wanted to join SL and also had a long tradition of the sport being played there then nobody on here would question it. Let 'em in!

As for the ground - I think it's important that they do develop their current one rather than share with the RU lot. I think I'm right in saying that the Dragons had a less than pleasant time of it sharing with the local Vichyballers. I doubt very much Toulouse RU will be overly enthusiastic about a new show in town, best to have your own base than have an unhappy groundshare

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the crowd I saw on TV. However if we base it on "15,000" does anyone know how many came from KR - say 1,000? How many travelled from Perpignan - i.e. did the club put on free transport or anything because of the change of venue? Where they literally giving tickets away in Toulouse or anything? Kids free? Just to get an idea of what an achievemen it was/wasnt?

Having being to Toulouse I know they are big on the RU but is it an area that is also "anti RL" generally or quite open to it?

It has a culture of supporting successful events.

Everywhere has a culture of supporting successful events. Conversely everywhere has a culture of not supporting unsuccessful events.