Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

frombanginfront

Where to visit: LA, NY, DC

22 posts in this topic

Clearly I'm unable to book flights to anywhere that can't be shortened to two letters. I'm headed to New York, Los Angeles and Washington D.C in October, and I'm looking for advice on things to do and places to visit, maybe even within an hour or two of the cities mentioned. I'm going for work, but will have a lot of free time in each location. Any suggestions from people who have been? What did you enjoy most?

LA Greyhound bus station and its surrounds at 3am is a very interesting place, I can highly recommend it.

Free ferry from Battery to Staten Island and back , see Statue of Liberty for free and get all your skyline photos

Get a subway pass and get all over really easily, but also walk as much as you can - off Broadway, Soho, even the ABC's. It's nice and some real NY eateries & bars around 13th & Houston (pronounced Howston). Get a credit card size foldaway map, and get it out when you're inside somewhere to check where you're heading. Don't be caught making it obvious you're tourist in the street doing it - plus you miss everything doing it and looking up all the time. Look down & around too. Your neck won't hurt so much and you'll see things you would have missed otherwise.

If you're JFK the subway from the airport at  Rockaway is real easy - we got a cab into and the subway back on our 3 day pass

If you have a car then take a drive out of LA up the Pacific Coast Highway through Santa Monica & Malibu, passing through Oxnard and Ventura before joining the 101 and driving up along the coast to the beautiful town of Santa Barbara which is well worth a visit.

No car for the trip, although I did reconsider for a moment when it came to California and maybe a quick run south of the border. Too much mucking anout though.

The subway suggestion from Rockaway in NY sounds good.

I've decided to only spend a couple of days in L.A. I'm finding a long list of things I'd like to do in NY and DC, but LA doesn't seem to grab me as much, maybe because it has a lot in common with Aus as far as lifestyle goes.

My schedule that I booked has me arrive for 2 nights in NY for work, 5 in Washington for work, then 6 back in NY or thereabouts and then finally a couple of days in LA.

As a quick escape from NY, do I run up the steps Rocky style in Philadelphia, explore Boston, or consider somewhere else in a similar radius?

Went to NYC Nd Washington in January

Travelled by train between the two cities

Still haven't got over it

It's hard to recommend what to see and do

I had my own ideas of what I wanted to experience I fulfilled them and more besides

Going again to NYC later this year but going to Boston again by rail instead of Washington

What stood out for me was the people I. Half expected them to be a bit brusque but just the opposite was the truth still keep in touch with the barkeep in a tavern near ground zero who is in a blues band

You absolutely must take a camera with lots and lots if memory cards

Highlights for me:

Walking the streets and observing the people

The food from hotdog stand to diner to high end restaurant

The beer never set eyes on Budweiser or any of the other fizzy water

The buildings some Art Deco classics such as the Rockefeller centre the way the Lincoln and Washington memorial relate to each other and much much more

The light especially in the early morning and evening

The music : I got to see one of my all time favourite guitarists at bb kings lounge whilst gulping wine down

I wouldn't say go to this place go to that place get over there and let the place get hold of you you are bound to wind up somewhere evocative and interesting

LA - Hollywood (just to say you been there, as Its a bit tacky).  Venice beach, Santa monica. 

NY - Empire state, staten Is ferry,

People (especially out of the cities) are generally very friendly.

New York - Views of the City go to top of the Roack at Rockefeller Centre, clearer views than Empire State Building. You don't mind the wait, either as the history of the building lines the walls.

I love NY there's loads of things to see and do.

I was in LA for 3 months and while I grew to like it, Im not sure how much there is to see and do. Maybe a trip to Venice beach or to Paramount studios. It's impossible to get round LA without a car.

Never been to DC but wouldn't mind seeing the white house, capitol hill, etc.

New York - Views of the City go to top of the Roack at Rockefeller Centre, clearer views than Empire State Building. You don't mind the wait, either as the history of the building lines the walls.

Seconded

The interior of the ground floor is magnificent

Same with the empire state

New York is a pretty underwhelming place IMO.  Comes with a huge reputation, feels like a slightly taller version of London.

Get out and go to Boston - that's a great city.

New York is a pretty underwhelming place IMO.  Comes with a huge reputation, feels like a slightly taller version of London.

Get out and go to Boston - that's a great city.

London is great as well but in a different way

go ere every year on the train always upgrade to first class for that Yorkshire Airways experience.

Paris by Eurostar is also a repeat fixture

Tacky is OK, just not in spades. This is the main reason my stay in LA is brief. Venice sounds like a good idea.

I'm taking a Canon 5D II with plenty of memory, so I'll be shooting right through the trip. One spot I'm keen on for photography is a ship graveyard in NY, and I've booked a train between DC and NY. Apparently as part of my work I'll also be part of a tour in Baltimore, so that should be interesting too.

The advice for visiting Boston is growing on me.

BB King's lounge also sounds pretty great.

Tacky is OK, just not in spades. This is the main reason my stay in LA is brief. Venice sounds like a good idea.

I'm taking a Canon 5D II with plenty of memory, so I'll be shooting right through the trip. One spot I'm keen on for photography is a ship graveyard in NY, and I've booked a train between DC and NY. Apparently as part of my work I'll also be part of a tour in Baltimore, so that should be interesting too.

The advice for visiting Boston is growing on me.

BB King's lounge also sounds pretty great.

the trip by rail between NYC and Washington is fascinating. It's like being in your own personal Bruce Springsteen video: lots of post industrial dereliction particularly around Baltimore and Philly lots of small Hicksville towns. The train itself is fast and comfortable pretty much like the French TGV the train staff friendly. Union station Washington is  brilliant destination great atmosphere, superb architecture smack in front of capitol hill-with some good eating outlets. Penn Station in NYC at the other end of the trip is a dingy rabbit warren underneath Madison Square Garden, the magnificent original having been demolished. Grand Central on the other hand is genuinely iconic you can spend ages there looking round.

Grand Central on the other hand is genuinely iconic you can spend ages there looking round.

Yup it's a pretty cool (and free) place to look around.

Yup it's a pretty cool (and free) place to look around.

The Oyster Bar is pretty good there, too.

The Oyster Bar is pretty good there, too.

sure is

If you have a car then take a drive out of LA up the Pacific Coast Highway through Santa Monica & Malibu, passing through Oxnard and Ventura before joining the 101 and driving up along the coast to the beautiful town of Santa Barbara which is well worth a visit.

Apropos of not much, there have been some awesome bands from Oxnard. Dr Know, ILL Repute. ..great hardcore scene there.

I don't know whether you enjoy visiting museums but DC is full of them (almost all part of the Smithsonian complex).   

http://www.si.edu/

The Holocaust Museum is well worth a visit.

http://www.ushmm.org/visit/

There is also the national zoo, which certainly at the time of my trips over was a good visit.  When it is hot they had showers outside which you would just walk through to cool off.  I haven't visited in October (my visits were always between January, with snow over a foot deep, and June, when my hair would frizz in the humidity) but I would imagine it will still be fairly warm although the humidity should be low by that time.

The Capitol and old supreme court buildings also worth visiting.  The White House is tiny and not worth the effort really although its location comes as a bit of a surprise. 

If you like religious buildings there is also a cathedral although coming from Britain you'll be disappointed!  It's not exactly York Minster.  But they tried. ;)

DC is a beautiful city in the centre but not safe so take care of yourself and your stuff, although having said that it is now 12 years since my last visit (which I snuck in two days before 9/11) and so things may have improved on the safety front.   

Pity you weren't visiting in March/April time when the cherry blossom is out and the National Cherry Blossom festival is in full swing as it is truly stunning at that time:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?gs_rn=18&gs_ri=psy-ab&pq=blossom+in+washington+dc&cp=1&gs_id=8&xhr=t&q=cherry+blossom+in+washington+dc&client=firefox-a&hs=MOt&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&channel=np&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.48572450,d.d2k&biw=825&bih=624&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=pXnNUY_0MIfE0QXbrIGIDA

There is a good underground railway system but if you have access to a car a visit into Virginia is worthwhile if you like pretty landscapes and looking at people sitting in rocking chairs on their verandas beside massive pumpkins while holding a rifle in their lap and drinking the local (non-alcoholic) apple cider (well, that's a longstanding impression I have of my time living in Virginia anyway!).

I'll be checking museums out for both work and recreation. My main reason for travelling to the US is to deliver a presentation at the Smithsonian, and do some studies at museums both in NY and DC. My hotel is just across the river in Virginia, so I don't expect I'll be far enough out to see many southern(ish) sterotypes. I'm coming from Aus, so we don't really have any interesting religious architecture, so perhaps I would be impressed in the US. However, I'm a lot more impressed by the natural world than by architecture, so the Viriginia landscape sounds like a great idea.