Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

l'angelo mysterioso

Vivian Maier genius and enigma

10 posts in this topic

I saw a documentary part of the 'Imagine' series the other night.

I was stunned by her images and fascinated by her life

enjoy

http://www.vivianmaier.com/

I missed that. Must try to get it watched on iplayer.

I missed that. Must try to get it watched on iplayer.

she took the kind of pictures I want to and try to take, but can never come close

but to do such magnificent, telling work, and not show it to anyone and to spend all her meagre income as a nanny on equipment, materials and storage seems almost pathological

she took the kind of pictures I want to and try to take, but can never come close

but to do such magnificent, telling work, and not show it to anyone and to spend all her meagre income as a nanny on equipment, materials and storage seems almost pathological

I know you like your street portrait and urban living stuff, and I've seen good uns that you've taken, especially from your trip to the states.

With regards to not showing anyone, if you think you've a good photo then share it. What's the point in taking lots and just storing them, especially in today's digital age (admittedly not an issue in her particular case).

I know you like your street portrait and urban living stuff, and I've seen good uns that you've taken, especially from your trip to the states.

With regards to not showing anyone, if you think you've a good photo then share it. What's the point in taking lots and just storing them, especially in today's digital age (admittedly not an issue in her particular case).

couldn't agree more, that's why I think her behaviour was a little disturbing

Nobody will ever know why she did it

Still not got round to watching it, but I know a few of my local camera group did. It inspired one of the guys to wonder round Todmorden market with his digital compact at waist height using the screen tilted to give a similar viewpoint to using a twin lens reflex as she did. It's given some great results, as it's suprising how candid a shot you can get when people don't look at your face and see you pointing a camera at them.

but to do such magnificent, telling work, and not show it to anyone

... was the norm for most people for most of the history of photography.

And still is.

... was the norm for most people for most of the history of photography.

And still is.

not to the point of secrecy I would have thought, but if you say so.

Next week's edition is about Don McUillin, can't wait.

not to the point of secrecy I would have thought, but if you say so.

Next week's edition is about Don McUillin, can't wait.

It's also worth pointing out that she's far from being the only photographer either known or unknown to leave behind thousands of undeveloped negatives.

It's also worth pointing out that she's far from being the only photographer either known or unknown to leave behind thousands of undeveloped negatives.

Of course