See England take on the best at the 2017 Rugby League World Cup

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

l'angelo mysterioso

Brian Sewell The man is a god

77 posts in this topic

Is he that dingbat with the really posh voice?

Yeah, the up-himself oxygen thief.

Is he that dingbat with the really posh voice?

no

although he does have really posh voice

Sewell is talking rubbish yet again. Wonders of Solar System/Universe/Life was superb, as was Marcus Du Sautoy's The Beauty of Diagrams and Mary Beards programmes. None of these factual programmes dumb down the subject matter. Alright I agree that the respective presenters do a fair bit of travelling but it is all to enhance the programmes. 

no

although he does have really posh voice

So its not him?  :no2:

I don't always agree with him, but in this case, a lot of what he says about the presentation of the BBC's factual output is bang on. There's been a lot of programmes recently that had an interesting premise, but became, as he said, travelogues. As for presenters who make the programme (regardless of subject) all about themselves, I'm surprised he didn't mention the serial camera-hog Bettany Hughes.

He's a pseud who only has time for his own views.

He just likes to feel superior to everyone else.

What Michael Hogan should have asked him is

"You have made programmes previously:

- How many awards did they win?

- What were the viewing figures?

- You are an arts critic; what artistic achievements have you personally produced?"

"You criticise the BBC arts documentaries as being too lowbrow and pandering to the massses. At the same time, your own Wikipedia page includes the statement: ... 'when Sewell visited Salvador Dalí at his house in Cadaqués, Dalí convinced Sewell to strip and masturbate for him while he took (or pretended to take) photographs'.

Tell me Brian, do you think that should be the sort of more-highbrow approach that BBC arts documetaries should focus on?'

Seriously Ange the guy is a ###### of the highest order.

I've never come across anyone so openly contemptuous of the working classes.

That's why l'ange feels empathy for him. :)

That's why l'ange feels empathy for him. :)

It certainly puzzles me. 

Yes it is him. The same man who said he would solve the North-South divide by sending a plague to the North to kill everyone off and that everything about the North is "just awful".

I learnt everything I need to know about critics from Ratatouille.

Yes it is him. The same man who said he would solve the North-South divide by sending a plague to the North to kill everyone off and that everything about the North is "just awful".

That certainly sounds like him. I remember him once saying that all progress came through the middle classes because working class people were quite happy to roll around in their own sewage.

It has however, the benefit of him not living here.

He says of Top Gear, "... I see it as three clowns enjoying themselves and nothing whatsoever to do with motor cars. They never talk about the aesthetic beauty of cars, their history or future. They're just overgrown schoolboys."   He's right in my view but then, Top Gear is fine for what it is.   

However, on the broader front, quite a few factual programmes seem to have been devised and directed by former schools TV broadcasters.  Brian Cox programmes, too , seem a bit trite and more of an excuse for trips to exotic places - though the maths behind the science of which he speaks would be challenging  ( unless you are like Sev of course).

Most of all, though, these dumbed down or simplified factual programmes serve, I think, as an inspiration to find out more and its not the BBCs role to educate us at all levels and to all levels. 

From here  - Sewell is also known for his disdain for Damien Hirst describing him as "###### dreadful" -  it is easy to agree with him. In fact, his Wkikpedia entry make good reading.

Most of all, though, these dumbed down or simplified factual programmes serve, I think, as an inspiration to find out more and its not the BBCs role to educate us at all levels and to all levels. 

Quite. It is odd that a professional art critic would comment that he had learned nothing from watching a TV programme on art. Of course you didn't. You are a professional art critic, you are hardly the target audience.

He says of Top Gear, "... I see it as three clowns enjoying themselves and nothing whatsoever to do with motor cars. They never talk about the aesthetic beauty of cars, their history or future. They're just overgrown schoolboys."   He's right in my view but then, Top Gear is fine for what it is.

'Top Gear' is gradually morphing into 'Last of the Summer Wine'. Next season, Richard Hammond bolts wheels onto an old bathtub and gets pushed off the side of a steep hill by the tall opinionated one and the vague fogyish one...

'Top Gear' is gradually morphing into 'Last of the Summer Wine'. Next season, Richard Hammond bolts wheels onto an old bathtub and gets pushed off the side of a steep hill by the tall opinionated one and the vague fogyish one...

Nora Batty was played by Kathy Stig...

Disagree.

It has already morphed..........

MH But the BBC remains a great source of pride to many of us. It's arguably the best broadcaster in the world.

BS Boll ocks.

Speaks his mind.

no

the person, whoever  you are referring to, is a dingbat

He's a pseud who only has time for his own views.

He just likes to feel superior to everyone else.

What Michael Hogan should have asked him is

"You have made programmes previously:

- How many awards did they win?

- What were the viewing figures?

- You are an arts critic; what artistic achievements have you personally produced?"

"You criticise the BBC arts documentaries as being too lowbrow and pandering to the massses. At the same time, your own Wikipedia page includes the statement: ... 'when Sewell visited Salvador Dalí at his house in Cadaqués, Dalí convinced Sewell to strip and masturbate for him while he took (or pretended to take) photographs'.

Tell me Brian, do you think that should be the sort of more-highbrow approach that BBC arts documetaries should focus on?'

so the quality of a tv programme is related directly to its viewing figures?

only good programmes win awards and if a programme doesn't win an award it is no good? 

to have an educated  and valid opinion on something you have to have done it yourself to the highest level?

What Dali and Sewell did together is neither here nor there. I hope they enjoyed themselves

no

the person, whoever you are referring to, is a dingbat

I was being polite. Otherwise I would have called him a pompous old windbag who talks sh/te.

Seriously Ange the guy is a ###### of the highest order.

I've never come across anyone so openly contemptuous of the working classes.

really? When was this?