Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MidlandsRugbyLeague

Serbia Army RL Head To UK

29 posts in this topic

The significance of their involvement in the Armed Forces World Cup should not be underestimated. Sign off for their involvement rested with the Deputy Prime Minister and organisers have had to work hard to secure their involvement through the corridors of power at Whitehall, the MOD and the Embassy in Belgrade.

They are however heading to the UK and here is some footage from their departure in Belgrade. Not all of it is in English, but there's bits:

http://www.sportnetwork.rs/play/56841/ragbisti-putuju-na-svetsko-prvenstvo

http://www.sportnetwork.rs/play/56847/harison:-timskim-duhom-do-pobede

http://www.sportnetwork.rs/play/56842/vujosevic:hvala-svima-koji-su-pomogli-srpski-ragbi

Good to see one of the teams actually making their way here!  I'm sure there were lots of negotiations to enable this to happen but they're a sports team, not a political movement. 

Looking forward to seeing them at the weekend. I'll be wearing my new Red Star Belgrade RLK shirt!

Looking forward to seeing them at the weekend. I'll be wearing my new Red Star Belgrade RLK shirt!

Damn...I thought I was one of the few in the UK with one of those ;)

Just got given one on Saturday by our club physio (he already has one, you see!)

They will be helping to kick off the festival of World Cups, first matches are this Sunday afternoon

Armed Forces Rugby League World Cup Schedule

Sunday 30th June
2.30pm Great Britain v New Zealand
5.30pm Australia v Serbia

The public are welcome to attend all matches. Fixtures on 30 June, 3 July and 10 July will take place on pitches at the Budd VC Gymnasium on Berechurch Road, Colchester with matches on 6 July and 13 July played at the Garrison B Ground on Circular Road North, Colchester

I got the shirt and the hoodie, but the shirts abit of a "snug" fit so not been worn out in public yet though..................!!!

They will be helping to kick off the festival of World Cups, first matches are this Sunday afternoon

Armed Forces Rugby League World Cup Schedule

Sunday 30th June

2.30pm Great Britain v New Zealand

5.30pm Australia v Serbia

The public are welcome to attend all matches. Fixtures on 30 June, 3 July and 10 July will take place on pitches at the Budd VC Gymnasium on Berechurch Road, Colchester with matches on 6 July and 13 July played at the Garrison B Ground on Circular Road North, Colchester

Thanks for the info, I hadn't actually checked where the matches were to be held!

Does anyone know why PNG hasn't entered a team?

Cost?

But surely there's no excuse for France not being there.

Cost?

But surely there's no excuse for France not being there.

The PNG Defence Force definitely plays RL, no idea about the French.

Definitely a concept that could be expanded upon. If you look at some of the larger nations that play international RL such as USA and Canada, it would be great if small sectors of their forces were introduced to the game and could participate in future years.

The PNG Defence Force definitely plays RL, no idea about the French.

I'm almost sure that the French used to play many years ago...

Definitely a concept that could be expanded upon. If you look at some of the larger nations that play international RL such as USA and Canada, it would be great if small sectors of their forces were introduced to the game and could participate in future years.

I think there are a couple of other nations that could have competed. I know Jamaica have Armed Forces involvement, and France and PNG as mentioned could also have entered, and potentially some of the other Pacific nations too.

I think there are a couple of other nations that could have competed. I know Jamaica have Armed Forces involvement, and France and PNG as mentioned could also have entered, and potentially some of the other Pacific nations too.

Fiji? I'd pay good money to watch the armed forces of the US v Russia on the rugby league field.

There just wArming up for the 1730 ko as I type

GB 32 NZ 8 was the earlier result.

Unfortunately Serbia were all very skinny as such in comparison to there Australian counterparts who had the

size and weight for their respective positions.

The Serbs did according to the touch judges convert a penalty in the first half but it was overrulled by the ref

who wasnt quite so eagle eyed at times in the first half with the Aussie offsides.

That said I couldnt say if it went between the posts as the stand canopy obstructed my view.

Cant personally see the Aussies failing to win outright but it will hopefully be a close affair against GB,

Just a shame I cannot make any more of the rounds.

The earlier game was enjoyable and despite going in behind narrowly at half time I thought the Kiwis

were probably just about had the better of it. The second half of course was a different story with the 

visitiors being worn down by the Brits,

Great day out though.

The Serbs will be a big bunch!

The biggest they had was a Dave Williams look alike from Skolars who also played in the forwards.

The rest pretty much had the stamp at best of a half back.

The biggest they had was a Dave Williams look alike from Skolars who also played in the forwards.

The rest pretty much had the stamp at best of a half back.

Surprising having seen the Serb Army in the flesh before. Glad you had a good day out.

Many people watching?

Difficult to say as you had the squads mingling in watching in the stands

Id say maybe 150 --200 members of the public strewn around the pitch and stand.

There were considerably less for the Aus v Serbia match, I would suggest mainly due to

the fact that for some reason there was near enough a 90 minute gap between the fixtures.

Unfortunately Serbia were all very skinny as such in comparison to there Australian counterparts who had the

size and weight for their respective positions.

The Serbs did according to the touch judges convert a penalty in the first half but it was overrulled by the ref

who wasnt quite so eagle eyed at times in the first half with the Aussie offsides.

That said I couldnt say if it went between the posts as the stand canopy obstructed my view.

Cant personally see the Aussies failing to win outright but it will hopefully be a close affair against GB,

Just a shame I cannot make any more of the rounds.

The earlier game was enjoyable and despite going in behind narrowly at half time I thought the Kiwis

were probably just about had the better of it. The second half of course was a different story with the 

visitiors being worn down by the Brits,

Great day out though.

Definitely went between the posts.

Unofficial final score of 114-2